PAPA 16 Meetups

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
It's that time again. Anyone going?

Runs tomorrow through sunday.

Count me in! I probably won't be there until 8:45-9 tomorrow night (I'm taking public transit from NJ to Pittsburgh), but if anyone wants to track me down, my preregistration number is 333. Wish me luck in qualifying for C Division (spoiler alert: I'm going to fail miserably at this)! Also, does anyone know if CC Continued will be on hand? I really want to get in a few rounds on that one, since I'm not sure that FS can convince WMS to let them put it in TPA.

VMethos

Jun 29, 2012
I will be there Saturday afternoon/evening staying through Sunday.

Went with a friend last year for the first time and had a blast just playing the games open to public and watching the A Division players and Finals.
I will probably be spending a lot of time playing some of my favorite tables that are not in TPA as of yet: High Speed, Getaway High Speed 2, TRON Legacy, Lord of the Rings, and Bad Cats along with several tables that are in TPA.

I haven't decided yet on whether or not I will be making an attempt at qualifying for C or B Division. My real life pinball skills are nowhere near as good as my virtual ability. ;) Just visited last year to watch, may actually attempt a qualify this year.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
How does one qualify for A division? Or any division for that matter.
There is a bank of 9 or 10 machines for each division. You select 5 of them (your choice) and play. Your scores on each machine are then compared to all other scores on that machine (including your own previous scores) and assigned a point value based on its ranking in that list. The sum of the point values for the 5 machines are your score for that entry.

And here's the kicker: You have to take that entry all or none. You can't mix and match, say, your TZ score from your first entry, your AFM score from your third entry, etc. So the system rewards consistently good play (at least consistent enough to play 5 decent games in a row), and prevents a "miracle" game from unduly distorting the results. It also discourages "grinding" each machine in turn until you get a good score on it and then moving on to the next, etc. (Editorial comment: And this fact is why I keep harping that TPA should use this system for its own tournaments, because it equalizes between players who have a lot of free time and those who just have a little.)

Top 16 entries in each division at the end of day Saturday qualify for the playoffs.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts