Pinball Arcade in my Pinball / Arcade cabinet in Pinball X with video backglass, etc.

curtis

Aug 30, 2015
[MENTION=5962]TerryRed[/MENTION]
Impressive work! I'd like to see how you'd implement force feedback in your cabinet! (Hint) So far, I'm aware that Pinball FX2 and TPA both use force feedback of an Xbox360 controller. So, I'm thinking of using one of those controllers and tie into the rumble motor circuitry. However, I'm not sure how to then drive a larger motor capable of shaking my cabinet.

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
[MENTION=5962]TerryRed[/MENTION]
Impressive work! I'd like to see how you'd implement force feedback in your cabinet! (Hint) So far, I'm aware that Pinball FX2 and TPA both use force feedback of an Xbox360 controller. So, I'm thinking of using one of those controllers and tie into the rumble motor circuitry. However, I'm not sure how to then drive a larger motor capable of shaking my cabinet.

Thanks.

Actually there have been a couple of people who have used the force feedback of the xbox 360 gamepad, but they connected it to an arduino which then connects to relays which trigger solenoids.

I hope someone can figure out how to take any force feedback activity of a gamepad (real or virtual), and translate that into keyboard presses by software. Then we could use DOFFX2 to output that to Led-Wiz or Sainsmart to trigger feedback to solenoids.

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
Disaster strikes.... a new look emerges!

Dead middle screen:

OK....so my middle "dual" screen which was a 5:4 monitor died on me (after 10 years of service). I now needed to get a new middle screen, and I had to re-build my bezel and speaker arrangement to accommodate it.

I didn't want to bother with another 5:4 monitor, because they are all old now, and I wanted to have something that could easily be replaced in the future. I really wanted to keep the "dual" screen function and I didn't have anough room for both a real DMD and a small screen (of decent size) in the space I had. (and it would look silly with only a DMD in there with lots of unused space)

I decided to go with a 19 inch 16:9 TV. It fit nicely and was the widest I could go....the colours were really nice....it was only $80 CDN new...and unlike the previous monitor which was a ***** mount, this had a standard vesa mount. It also had 1:1 pixel mapping which made for a perfect crisp image.

After a bit of work, I was able to get to get it mounted in a way that could easily be adjusted in the future if I had to replaced this one. I now had a little bit of space above and below the TV since this is a widescreen monitor.

New Bezel, new function:

For the bezel, I now had a wider screen space, but that also meant that my speakers would have to be mounted to the farthest sides of the backbox. My "dual" screens would be closer together, and the top half a little bit smaller.

Since I had my RGB "flashers" inside my two speaker holes before and really liked how it worked, I wanted to still have that.... but I didn't like having 2 "flashers" within the same speaker hole. It would end up blending colours and not be distinctive enough. I wanted 4 separate "flashers".

I figured, since my left and right speakers each have 2 smaller speakers...then why not have 4 speaker holes in the bezel!

The RGB speaker holes!

Below is a 2 inch PVC coupler fitting (I think). I got one for each speaker. I cut a notch out at the bottom and put in a strip of RGB LEDs all around then inside....

....then I cut the bezel out of thin backboard, and hot-glued a RGB LED speaker spacer at each hole (after putting on carbon fibre vinyl wrap and automotive car trim in each hole).

....then I put speaker cloth on the back of each hole with an elastic band...

....and voila! Let there be discrete 4 RGB "flasher" lights!

Each speaker hole is now the Outer Left, Left, Right, Outer Right RGB flasher (center flasher is backbox backlighting). You'll notice that the LED matrix below has 5 shapes. These are actually the equivalent of the 5 RGB flashers that is displayed for this table. (the shapes can be anything, I was just testing) Notice they are matching in colour with the speaker holes.

Tables and media need to be re-done:

You'll have to excuse the squished Visual Pinball logo. Since all of my Pinball X "dual middle screen" media (which is one single picture or video) was created with a 5:4 ratio, it now all has to be re-done to look proper with a 16:9 ratio.

If Pinball X had a separate "default DMD video / picture" for each system, this would make my job much easier...

Future Pinball:

Future Pinball tables will all have to be re-edited again, to have all the elements (movie clips, scores, gadgets, etc) to fit the top of the middle screen. What you have seen in my Future Pinball videos in Pinball X for that section is not looping videos. Its all bits from actual gameplay within Future Pinball.

Here are some picture examples of Future Pinball with the new bezel:

At first, I thought the 4 holes looked a little weird, but after seeing the lights in use, I love it! The only thing I hate is the fact that I couldn't get the chrome trim to make a perfect circle.

....and it sounds better too!

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
After I finished my new middle "dual" screen and bezel setup, I wanted to setup just a few DMD screen media videos so I would have something that looked better than the squished images from my old setup.....and I wanted it for doing a video of gameplay for VP and the LED matrix.

It also occurred to me that alot of people don't actually understand what my setup is really like and how the media and middle screen setup actually works. Also, alot of people think Future Pinball just plays looped videos from Pinball X for example, which it doesn't.

I get alot of people asking me how I get the media for my middle screen, and how I got the "videos" from Future Pinball showing on FutureDMD (which it isn't), etc

So while making a quick video to show the new bezel and flashers, I thought I would show how I make my media for my middle screen, also how I setup Future Pinball to work with that.

So to answer a bunch of questions, here is a video demonstration of Part 1 of my NEW dual screen / Bezel setup, and media creation This one focuses on Visual Pinball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDI17NL7DYM

...and Part 2 focuses on Pinball FX2 and how to setup Future Pinball for a "dual" middle screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA4TdXiU0h8

....now with that out of the way.... on to getting some VP LED Matrix gameplay videos!.... unless something ELSE happens... :(

Last edited:

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
Visual Pinball Addressable LED Matrix Gameplay Videos!

Well, after a few distractions: my middle screen dying, creating a new bezel, getting VPX running in exclusive fullscreen issues, etc....

They are finally here! I said a while back I would get around to showing some videos of VP gameplay and effects from addressable leds through DOF....so here they are!

Unlike the rolling effects while browsing in Pinball X, these are different things that occur from various tiggers throughout gameplay. Explosions, looping effects, rocket trails, sparkles, symbols, shapes....all sorts of things.

Please note: this was the best angle I could get that would still show all 3 sections of the addressable LEDS. The brightness of the LEDs can also be adjusted...so you don't need to worry about being blinded while playing!

I apologize if I seem to repeat myself a few times....the damn power kept going out while I was recording, so I lost track of what I said in earlier videos.

This first video shows Bride of Pinbot and Attack From Mars. Lots of different types of effects shown.... I continued to make other videos, even after the power goes out at the end of this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoASoX-mvcc

This second video shows off some explosion effects, trail effects, and more. Tables shown are Medieval Madness, and Monster Bash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyw8Ay-iVgo

This third video shows some cool looping effects from The Getaway, as well as the neat effects in Star Trek and Circus Voltaire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyWz0oct1pY

This last video show ALOT more tables, and demonstrates how the various lighting toys in a pinball cabinet can be replicated by the back matrix! Also shows some other effects. Tables shown are NBA Fastbreak, Jurassic Park, Scared Stiff, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Transformers, Twilight Zone, and Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFLd_zC7vrI

I hope these videos do justice in showing off the hard work from everyone involved in making these effects possible!

If there is something specific you want to see, let me know and maybe I can put up more videos!

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
Well how about that...

SLAMT1LT, better known for creating some of the best Future Pinball tables out there (original, recreation, modded, etc) has mentioned my pinball cabinet (saying "this is how his games should be played, etc...") on his website's main page, and linked one of my videos at the bottom where you see the featured videos.

Link to his website is here. Keep in mind that the main page changes all the time, so you may not see "the mention" anymore depending on how long its been. Either way, it's worth checking his page out, as its where you will see the newest versions of his fantastic tables.

http://speak1970.wixsite.com/slamspinballemporium

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
To top it all off:

Well, I never really liked the way the strobes and beacon looked on top, just all plain looking. So I decided to make some sort of topper for them that would match the style of the rest of the cabinet. Nothing fancy...but I like it much better than the plain look... and the black & chrome really helps to isolate the strobes from the wall behind and makes their light much more concentrated and bright. Here's some pics:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
To top it all off:

Well, I never really liked the way the strobes and beacon looked on top, just all plain looking. So I decided to make some sort of topper for them that would match the style of the rest of the cabinet. Nothing fancy...but I like it much better than the plain look... and the black & chrome really helps to isolate the strobes from the wall behind and makes their light much more concentrated and bright. Here's some pics:

Very fancy...I think you've inspired me to modify mine :) What puts me off modding mine though is the setting up of everything...I find that most difficult. Zen makes it so easy but unfortunately Farsight doesn't. Just wish they would support cabs...would make things less stressful. :)

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
Aliens Legacy (Ultimate Badass Edition) (V1.12) (DOFLinx-Cabinet Edition)

DOFLinx mod by TerryRed

A video demonstration of this table running on my cabinet using DOFLinx can be seen at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvaBDJWFbgE

Man, this mod was alot of work, but alot of fun....but only because this table has so many cool modes and features....

You have never seen a Future Pinball table with this kind of feedback and lighting in a cabinet!

I added animated RGB flasher effects for:

-machine gun turret fire
-grenade explosions
-nuclear explosions
-flame thrower
-blow torch
-custom flasher sequences to match those of the table's
-orbit (spinner?) effects
-ship drop sequence

I made use of some combined effects like shaker / blower fan / lights.

Devices supported on this table:

Left flipper
Right flipper
Left slingshot
Right slingshot
Mid field left solenoid
Mid field center solenoid
Mid field right solenoid
Back left solenoid
Back right solenoid
Flasher, outside left
Flasher, inside left
Flasher, center
Flasher, outside right
Flasher, inside right
Blower Fan
Shaker
Gear Motor
Strobe
Beacon
Start button
Coin button
Launch Ball button
FIRE button
RGB Undercab Lighting

I had to use 14 Timers and sub routines to match up some effects with video clips.

The table is a bit hard....but if you can progress, you'll be rewarded with a nice light show and some good feedback.

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
Well, here we go with another great Future Pinball original table being given the DOFLinx treatment!

I present to you.... ROBOCOP (Ultimate Edition) (DOFLinx - Cabinet Edition)!

A video demonstration of the table running on my cabinet using DOFLinx can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L9EpdYGrrc

This was another fun table that is REALLY cool to play with alot of modes. The videos and sound combined with the flashing lights and feedback really make a difference!

-Robocop gun fire (Ball Launch)
-ED-209 machine gun fire (failed to comply)
-Cain spinner
-Robocop Return Fire
-red / blue sirens

I made use of some combined effects like shaker / blower fan / gear motor and flasher lights.

Left flipper
Right flipper
Left slingshot
Right slingshot
Mid field left solenoid
Mid field right solenoid
Back left solenoid
Back right solenoid
Flasher, outside left
Flasher, inside left
Flasher, center
Flasher, outside right
Flasher, inside right
Blower Fan
Shaker
Gear Motor
Strobe
Beacon
Start button
Coin button
Launch Ball button
RGB Undercab Lighting

It's getting alot easier to add DOFLinx support, though I spend more time testing, then scripting.

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
I present another fine Future Pinball table now given the DOFLinx treatment:

Superman (Ultimate Edition) (SLAMT1LT) (DOFLinx - Cabinet Edition)

A video demonstration of the table running on my cabinet using DOFLinx can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFK9Q_52oNw

This is another fun table that is now even better thanks to DOFLinx.

-Superman Ball Launch
-Machine Gun Fire
-Regenerating Sequence
-Ball Lock

I made use of some combined effects like shaker / blower fan / gear motor and flasher lights.

I made the RGB under cabinet lighting change based on events during play: Krypton Ball, Tilt, Fight, etc..

Left flipper
Right flipper
Left slingshot
Right slingshot
Mid field left solenoid
Mid field right solenoid
Back left solenoid
Back right solenoid
Flasher, outside left
Flasher, inside left
Flasher, center
Flasher, outside right
Flasher, inside right
Blower Fan
Shaker
Gear Motor
Strobe
Beacon
Start button
Coin button
Launch Ball button
RGB Undercab Lighting

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
Tron Legacy (Ultimate 1.13) (SLAMT1LT) (DOFLinx - Cabinet Edition)

The Ultimate Tron Legacy virtual pinball cabinet experience...and only on Future Pinball with DOFLinx!

A video that shows off this excellent table with amazing DOFLinx cabinet effects can be seen at this link (in my cabinet) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SmCvWVJetg

Features:

- amazing animated 5 RGB flasher effects

- RGB undercab lighting changes based on characters, multiball, and game modes

- gear motor operates with the Recognizer's movement

- shaker motor and blower fan operates for cinematic videos, and many table events

- 10 solenoid support for all mechanical devices (flipper, slings, bumpers, etc)

- beacon lights up during cinematics and certain game modes

- strobe effects throughout

- animated effects for: Video Game mode, Disc Wars, Clu Ball, Light Cycle Battle, Zeus multiball, Drain, Orbits, Challenge of the Grid, etc...

- Ramp: animated flasher effects change colour based on mode and game progression

- all effects combine for an amazing feedback and light show like no other pinball game!

It's crazy.... there's over 1000 lines of DOFLinx commands and my own code that I put into this table!

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
Star Wars Death Star Assault (ULTIMATE 1.04) (DOFLinx - Cabinet Edition)

The most explosive and Ultimate Star Wars pinball experience is here...and only on Future Pinball with DOFLinx!

A video that shows off this excellent table with amazing DOFLinx cabinet effects can be seen at this link (in my cabinet) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIf4j-d8J-4

Features:

- activate the Lightsabers (during attract mode) with the FIRE / 2nd flipper / Special Button
- amazing animated 5 RGB flasher effects
- animated explosion, Tie Fighter, and X-wing blaster RGB flashers effects
- RGB undercab lighting changes based on the intense action
- gear motor operates everytime R2-D2 rotates his head
- shaker motor and blower fan operates for explosions and other table events
- 10 solenoid support for all mechanical devices (flipper, slings, bumpers, etc)
- beacon lights up during cinematics and certain game modes
- strobe effects throughout
- Start, Coin, Launch Ball button lights: flash / On / Off during table events / functions
- Millennium Falcon Video mode!
- Chewie gets angry if you don't give him money!
- lots of video clips and sound effects for non-stop action!
- all effects combine for an amazing feedback and light show!

I was glad that I was able to get this done before I'll be gone for 4 months.

Another great video demo that's worth watching to the end....

xantari

Jan 15, 2017
TerryRed,

Do you have video backglasses available for all of TPA tables? Are you using NoEx's camera mod to show the video backglasses during table play?

Also, how are you keeping the video playing when launching a table on your 3rd monitor while in PinballX and outside of PinballX?

Last edited:

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
The only media I have available are on the GameEx FTP, which you need to be a supporter to access.

You can have Pinball X keep your backglass videos and DMD screen's videos continue to play while launching any table for any system. It's in the Game Manager's settings for each game.

curtis

Aug 30, 2015
Great work, as always, TerryRed!
Do you know if it's possible to trigger a gamepad's rumble motor while playing a FuturePinball table?

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
Great work, as always, TerryRed!
Do you know if it's possible to trigger a gamepad's rumble motor while playing a FuturePinball table?

I don't know.... it has neve worked for any of my controllers...so I'm guessing no...

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
You Have the POWER!!! with my MASTERED Edition update to "Rom's" excellent "Masters of the Universe" Future Pinball table. I've also created an "all-new" DOFLinx cabinet mod as well. This table mod is inspired by SLAMT1LT's tables as well as the newer pinball machines (from JJP, Stern, Heighway Pinball) that now use monitors instead of DMDs.

A video demonstration that shows off all the features of the MASTERED Edition as well as the DOFLinx mod can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/O_5w4ocVInI

MASTERED Edition:

- new backglass with various fanart. Formatted specifically to work with 16:9, and 4:3 screens.
- new full motion video sequences for almost all table actions and modes. These are NEW hi-resolution video clips that now appear on the backglass (and display HUD for desktop users)
- new info display shown on backglass
- new sound clips

Watch Prince Adam dance to the beat (and the animated matching flashers) of Castle Multi-Ball!

Experience the woosh of blower-fan air from Ripper Multi-Ball.

FEEL the POWER (and shaker motor) when you become HE-MAN and see your power emanate from the flashers.

FEAR Skeletor as he launches his devastating 9-Ball Multi-Ball and watch him laugh at you on the backglass.

Go beyond the days of DMDs and see full hi resolution videos and info displays on the new animated backglass.

Don't be a cheap skate, or Skeletor will get angry!

With 1000's of images, and new sounds...this makes for a MOTU experience like no other, and a Pinball experience found nowhere else!

DOFLinx Cabinet Edition:

-10 solenoid feedback for flippers, bumpers, slings, kickers, etc
-gear motor for Castle Grayskull, Ripper, and He-Man
-shaker motor feedback to feel the power and action
-blower fan feedback for Ripper ramp
-5 RGB flasher animated effects
-RGB under cabinet lighting
-beacon and strobe effects
-coin, start, and launch button leds

A normal Desktop version of the MASTERED Edition as well as a DOFLinx Cabinet version of the MASTERED Edition will be on PinSimDB when approved.

Here are some still pics from the Desktop version.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.