Pinball games not updated to 64bit on IOS

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
So with the upcoming removal of 32bit apps in os11 here's what I've installed that hasn't been updated yet...and possibly may never

Pinball Tristan
Crystal caliburn 2
Gladiator pinball

There's probably more...including a lot of good shmups ....all jeffer minsters stuff was pulled a year or two ago...it really makes me not want to invest much in mobile apps when I'm not even given a choice...outside for tpa my main "go tos" are ughhh going

So what else have I missed?

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
So with the upcoming removal of 32bit apps in os11 here's what I've installed that hasn't been updated yet...and possibly may never

Pinball Tristan
Crystal caliburn 2
Gladiator pinball

There's probably more...including a lot of good shmups ....all jeffer minsters stuff was pulled a year or two ago...it really makes me not want to invest much in mobile apps when I'm not even given a choice...outside for tpa my main "go tos" are ughhh going

So what else have I missed?

WWW. Dr Phil.com

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
They have been 64bit for 3 or so years now dude they are just removing 32bit support for *reasons* culling some bad ****e but a lot of good stuff too

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Ahh gotcha. Yeah, I'm pretty bummed that I'll be losing a lot of strategy games too...but they've pretty much got me by the balls at this point...thankfully only on the mobile front though.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Indeed....shmups board games pinball....glorified YouTube player! I'm gonna do a jobby(Scottish for ****) on jobs grave....I never thought I'd say this but quality and support have gotten worse imo

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
looks like I am going to lose around 75 apps (mostly games)
some I will miss - joe danger, zuma hd, max and the magic marker, bookworm, peggle, bejeweled 2, yahtzee...
most of the others i forgot I even had - but I paid for.

pinball apps about to go bye
pinball rocks (gameprom)
multiball pinball (matimi)
iceroad pinball (matimi)
age of pinballs pro (WTF ask homework)
rob-o-bot (original atomic)
monster pinball (matimi)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
looks like I am going to lose around 75 apps (mostly games)
some I will miss - joe danger, zuma hd, max and the magic marker, bookworm, peggle, bejeweled 2, yahtzee...
most of the others i forgot I even had - but I paid for.

pinball apps about to go bye
pinball rocks (gameprom)
multiball pinball (matimi)
iceroad pinball (matimi)
age of pinballs pro (WTF ask homework)
rob-o-bot (original atomic)
monster pinball (matimi)

Cheers for the info man

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
The App store is long overdue for a good purging, but I will miss the Littlewing Pinball games, been playing those since the Windows 3.1 versions. The blog on their website hasn't been updated since 2012 though, so I'm not holding my breath for an update.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
That's an odd way to look at it. Losing good quality apps is a horrible way to purge, and there will still be the same amount of new garbage. I have some apps from Slitherine that cost $20 a smack and I won't even be able to at least use the disc for a drink coaster or a frisbee. FML.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I can understand that, but as IOS evolves it will break compatibility with older apps. And since the biggest problem with the app store is its lack of oversight, that will mean an increasing number of games that dropped support years ago no longer working, but showing up on the store for purchase unless someone from Apple is willing to wade through the back pile and test every single one. At some point it will be like Microsoft selling Windows 98 programs on their online store for Windows 10.

The app store is different from what came before and they need to work a lot of this stuff out, but have shown little interest in doing so, and so the app store just gets more and more bloated. Even this is just a stopgap measure. Apps that break with this update will be by definition ones that the publisher has given up support for.

Still, if there are things you need to keep using, keeping around an older apple device would allow you keep those apps running, Iphone 5 and the 4th gen Ipads and below won't be able to update to IOS11 and should run the older apps just fine, same as the old Windows 9x box I kept around for awhile for the same purpose.

Side note: I looked up Slitherine, and I think this particular one is all on them. They are insisting they can't update their apps to 64bit, which sounds fishy, and they just had a big sale a couple months ago on apps they knew would break by the end of the year, which is immoral. Company seems a bit shady to me. I'm sorry you're losing out on such a big investment in apps with them though, that does suck.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Side note: I looked up Slitherine, and I think this particular one is all on them. They are insisting they can't update their apps to 64bit, which sounds fishy, and they just had a big sale a couple months ago on apps they knew would break by the end of the year, which is immoral. Company seems a bit shady to me. I'm sorry you're losing out on such a big investment in apps with them though, that does suck.

I don't use Apple hardware and I have never played a Slitherine game but I was interested to read their arguments.

For those who care, Slitherine devs were quite talkative in this thread:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=76866

"Developers have known about Apple's 64-bit requirements since September 2013. In October 2014, Apple sent all developers a message that on February 1, 2015 all new app submissions would require to be 64-bit and by June 1, 2015 all app updates would require being 64-bit. If Apple discussed the requirement of 64-bit to developers, four years ago, it shouldn't be a complete surprise to them that they are discontinuing support for 64-bit, eventually."

If this is true, then devs certainly bear part of the blame.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah I totally agree it's incompetence/greed on their part and I've told them that straight to their faces. They've also claimed that their apps haven't sold all that well compared to their PC games, which I also think is BS. They've been regarded as one of the top developers in the war game strategy biz, so I'm sure they've sold plenty accross all platforms (and any lack of sales is their own fault for charging an arm and a leg for mobile apps in the first place). I just think they're being greedy/lazy here and don't want to invest anymore into supporting their apps when they've already made their profits.

At the end of the day, regardless of who's to blame, it's average Joes like me who suffer from this, so I will remain salty about it towards Apple as well because I don't doubt that they could keep supporting 32bit if they really wanted to. If Billy and the boys at MS can do it, than anyone can. :D

Last edited:

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Just under the wire, Tristan and Crystal Caliburn got 64-bit patches today. I guess someone is still on the payroll at Littlewing.

JefferyD

May 10, 2013
Ugh! Not original Ro-bo-bot, too! Grr. Probly my all-around favorite table. Losing a short stack of my favorite games; surprised by few out-of-nowhere updates for some, tho. Have an older iPad that I plan on not updating, but how long will that last? It's perpetually in the hands of a five year old, and I wouldn't put it past her to update the thing without realizing it.

Will drag my feet on this update for as long as I can, but that's typically not very long. Stupid update reminders wear me down.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.