360 - Request Portrait Mode

Kitaru

Aug 5, 2012
Another vertical shmup player here -- and I thought I'd be the only one interested in a "tate" mode. :) I have a little 4:3 CRT TV that I flip on its side and a 5:4 LCD VGA monitor with a swivel mount, so it'd be awesome to take advantage of that vertical real-estate with a portrait display option.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Although I have nothing to play in portrait mode on at the moment (I'm not rotating my 50" plasma, sorry, not as light as an LCD). I would love to see it happen, I would even buy a 24" 1080p monitor just for it.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Plasma's don't like being laid flat. If they were good for it it would have been made into a pincab a long time ago...well maybe, because it's only 720p

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Not even from a viewing angle standpoint?

I think the reason over the years for people not to use them has been the weight, heat, and thickness of the panel. With all the wood, computer, legs, glass, etc. in a virtual pin they are extremely heavy even with a LCD. Also you do occasionally have to remove the screen for maintenance and upgrades and a Plasma would be quite a pain to move.

The viewing angles of the LCDs/LEDs are usually extremely good nowadays. I have never had a problem with the 42" LG LCD I use, but I did a lot of investigation before I purchased - mostly tilting the head to one side in shops :)

For anyone planning a build I recommend you do a lot of reading over at VPForums nd the Hyperpin Cabinet forums.

EDIT: One thing to add.... Most people de-case the screen so maybe a plasma is trickier or there is more danger in this - although I am not totally sure.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Please don't forget to add this to the PS3 version if/when it's added to the 360.
I've been asking for a portrait mode since 2008. ;)

There are a ton of inexpensive VESA compatible rotating monitor stands as well.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Plasma's don't like being laid flat. If they were good for it it would have been made into a pincab a long time ago...well maybe, because it's only 720p
That's really only for shipping purposes because of the glass, isn't it? Obviously it'd be more susceptible to breaking (especially if you're trying to "nudge" it) but I'd have thought that was the only reason.

Now I think of it, I actually have two spare TVs I've gained through various upgrades... a 32" and a 40". The 32" would be *perfect*!

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
How would a full top-down cabinet view work for widebody tables? How would they fit the screen?

Wouldnt widebody tables be cut off or squeezed? If they are squeezed to fit the TV the table will look distorted...

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
How would a full top-down cabinet view work for widebody tables? How would they fit the screen?

Wouldnt widebody tables be cut off or squeezed? If they are squeezed to fit the TV the table will look distorted...
There doesn't necessarily have to be distortion. They could just change the scale so the table will fit. That's what VP does on their FS tables, and it works pretty well.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Having played TPA on Android more and more recently (beta table releases and lack of Xbox DLC)........ I've started to get accustomed to the portrait display. I'd REALLY love to see a portrait option on Xbox. My display is a 27" LCD which I could rotate and improvise with a home made stand/clamp.

Multiple displays are not a requirement for me........................ but have you guys played around with Xbox Smartglass?

I have Smartglass installed on my Nexus 7 - which allows me to remotely control my Xbox and better still some games allow you to have a separate display on the Smartglass screen for game in question.

Forza Horizon is one game that supports this. You play the game on your LCD and the map is displayed on your Smartglass device. TPA could in theory support this option. ( agreed a bit expensive and clunky but would probably appeal to the purists).

smartglass3.jpg

N

Nik Barbour

Having played TPA on Android more and more recently (beta table releases and lack of Xbox DLC)........ I've started to get accustomed to the portrait display. I'd REALLY love to see a portrait option on Xbox. My display is a 27" LCD which I could rotate and improvise with a home made stand/clamp.

Multiple displays are not a requirement for me........................ but have you guys played around with Xbox Smartglass?

I have Smartglass installed on my Nexus 7 - which allows me to remotely control my Xbox and better still some games allow you to have a separate display on the Smartglass screen for game in question.

Forza Horizon is one game that supports this. You play the game on your LCD and the map is displayed on your Smartglass device. TPA could in theory support this option. ( agreed a bit expensive and clunky but would probably appeal to the purists).

smartglass3.jpg

That's a big Nexus 7! (or you have really girly hands - joking)
Portrait is why I prefer Nexus 7 to Xbox now. (that and available dlc).

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I can care less about multiple screens. Just the vertical orientation (like the shooters do) is all I'm interested in.
Where to put the DMD? Down on the apron, or in one of the upper corners are the most logical places (it's where I put them in VP. Pro Pinball's intelligently fading or disappearing DMD, where it turns transparent when the ball goes behind it, or disappears entirely if a certain period of time passes without scoring or other significant events, is another option.

Longi

May 30, 2013
At this point i want a portrait mode for all platforms.
Why its in the iOS/Android version but not in the xBox/PS3-version???
And why didnt the PC-version support this from Day one?

Cant get it :confused:
Is it so complicate to integrate it?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.