Bug Serious nudge physics error.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Nudging forward and backward affect the entire table equally. this is correct.

however sideways nudging affects the entire table equally as well. this is wrong.

it should be implemented as a rotation with the back of the playfield being the axis, instead of a perfect sideways shove.

this lets you do some hilariously bad abuse of tee'd off's captive ball, which can be knocked out of it's hidey hole and into the bumpers with a large left nudge, followed by an upward one as it rolls back. this can be preformed without a tilt warning. when the ball is at plunger... i think you see the issue now. :)

The rom will terminate your ball if you leave it at the plunger for a few minutes, but that's enough to get 100 million end of ball bonus, which then becomes your pitch and putt award.

Exception. demolition man. the handle grips allow you to seriously manhandle the table and keep it flat if you grip them right and are strong enough.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Nudging forward and backward affect the entire table equally. this is correct.

however sideways nudging affects the entire table equally as well. this is wrong.

it should be implemented as a rotation with the back of the playfield being the axis, instead of a perfect sideways shove.

this lets you do some hilariously bad abuse of tee'd off's captive ball, which can be knocked out of it's hidey hole and into the bumpers with a large left nudge, followed by an upward one as it rolls back. this can be preformed without a tilt warning. when the ball is at plunger... i think you see the issue now. :)

The rom will terminate your ball if you leave it at the plunger for a few minutes, but that's enough to get 100 million end of ball bonus, which then becomes your pitch and putt award.

Exception. demolition man. the handle grips allow you to seriously manhandle the table and keep it flat if you grip them right and are strong enough.

I don't think that's correct. When left/right nudging the front of the pinball table doesn't slide across the ground in the front with the back legs as a pivot point. Pinball tables are really too heavy to move like that. When people nudge a table they give it a bit of a slap or knock and it creates a vibration. Since the pinball machine is basically rigid I think the nudge is applied fairly equally.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
That, and there's nothing that says you have to apply the nudge at the front of the table in the first place. On Monster Bash especially, players will hit the right side of the machine halfway up to get the ball away from Dracula's foot.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I have my machines on heavy furniture sliders and so whilst its exaggerated, the front of the machine does indeed pivot around the back. The back of the machine is where the more of the weight is.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
That, and there's nothing that says you have to apply the nudge at the front of the table in the first place. On Monster Bash especially, players will hit the right side of the machine halfway up to get the ball away from Dracula's foot.

Good point.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
true, but you are intended to nudge machines from the front.

Anyway the abuse TPA lets you do on tee'd off requires nudging the back of the machine in real life. I suppose a simpler solution would be to artificially stick the captive ball in place when the ball is on the plunger.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Personally, I think nudging the table towards you during gameplay would be pretty hard to do IRL. At least, to the extent that TPA lets you do it.

Granted, Demolition Man has those trigger grips that make it possible. But it is a very unnatural motion to do on any other table.

I think this nudge direction (force exerted from back to front) should be disabled, or severely decreased in force.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I would agree Jared. In real life the force generated pulling the machine back towards you is much less than the force generated pushing it away from you. Maybe they could do like a 50% force reduction on the downward nudge to account for that.

Although I really enjoy abusing the downward nudge to get the ball through those one-way gates on Centaur. I would miss that..

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I would agree Jared. In real life the force generated pulling the machine back towards you is much less than the force generated pushing it away from you. Maybe they could do like a 50% force reduction on the downward nudge to account for that.

Although I really enjoy abusing the downward nudge to get the ball through those one-way gates on Centaur. I would miss that..

I find up nudge to be more effective for that. I'll try down nudge.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts