Signature Changes

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've had a few complaints recently about large signature files, and how it's making the forum messy. I completely agree, and I've been talking about it with the mods.

I just implemented a fix, so now you have to click on the "Show Signature" button to view a users signature on a post. Right now that's for ALL signatures, but I'm trying to find a way to limit it to just the long ones (basically the ones being used to display scores).

The issue was that the signature files were much, much longer than many of the posts, making it harder to read the actual content on the forum.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Could there be a better way to attach the scores to your post somehow? Problem with signatures being hidden is 90% of users won't bother clicking show signature.

Do people not have the option to hide everyones signatures on their own account?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Under General Settings, there's a Thread Display Options section with the option to disable signature display (you can also disable avatars and general images as well).

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
This seemed like the best option. Initially I was looking for a way to integrate it into the user profile, except you can't use BB code in there, so all the formatting would be gone. This will become a bigger problem once more and more tables are out - the signature files will keep getting bigger and bigger.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Maybe a way to post in our room or whatever you call it,so someone can click our screen name to see our scores?

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, the profile. I looked into that, but you can't have any formatting in there (so your table wouldn't show up).

Maybe the solution is to create a "scores" page that has fields for all the tables that people can fill in. Then it's a standard format, everyone has their scores in the same place, and people can provide a link to them in their signature. Of course I don't know how to do that... time to do some reading.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Okay, how about this...

I just turned on the "Blog" feature for the forum. You can enter your scores as a blog post, and then link to them from your signature. Why don't you guys try it out and let me know how it goes.

The blog feature is only for users who have been on the site for 5 days, and have at least 5 posts. That's to keep the spammers from making blog entries filled with spam.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I'll give it a whirl when I get off work, but there may have been an unanticipated side effect. When I first go to digitalpinballfans.com, I now get a box that says:

Pinball Arcade Fans said:
Serenseven, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I click on the forum link and all seems to work well past that point.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
have the same problem as serenseven with the no permisson stuff...

other than that, not really sure what this 'blog post' does but as along i can see my and other signatures without clicking on them i'm happy :)

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Grrr... this is frustrating. I have no idea why people are getting an error for viewing the main page of the site. It's only for "Regular Members" - the "New Members" (anyone who is under 5 days on the site, and under 5 posts) can see them fine. Permissions seem normal.

Bonzo, the scores won't be in the signature anymore, they will be moved to a "Blog Post" (click on your name and you should be able to create one). This will also solve the problem of running out of characters in the signature, since the blog post you make with your scores won't have the same limit.

Edit: Found it! Stupid place to put those permissions. Grrr!

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Thanks for this, Gord. I'm finding it easier to read threads already. I hope you can work it out so that only long sigs have the button, but if you can't I think this is better than it was before at least.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Alright, I have it working so that smaller signatures load (anything under 350 characters, which includes any links).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.