Summer Olympics 2016

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thought we could use a thread for this. Want to discuss an amazing performance, who has the hottest volleyball team, a touching moment, trash talk up your country, talk poop levels in the water, or whatever, this is the place for it.

Just watched the Australian ladies rugby team pound Columbia. Very impressive combo of strength and speed on that team. They will be tough to knock off.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Nice idea Kolchak.
I'm watching France-Australia (basketball) right now and I'm pretty sure we won't get any medal this year. :(

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'd like to complain about the opening ceremony coverage by NBC. On an hour tape delay to start with, and commercials inserted every 5 minutes to stretch it out even more.

I miss the BBC. A lot.

invitro

May 4, 2012
talk poop levels in the water, or whatever, this is the place for it.

Just watched the Australian ladies rugby team pound Columbia. Very impressive combo of strength and speed on that team. They will be tough to knock off.
I'm actually interested in the poop levels :). And if there is going to be any terrorism. I don't know anything about rugby but a fellow made me look at some rugby "7's" on youtube and I thought it looked cool and planned to watch some more. If there are girls playing rugby, well I will definitely want to watch that if it's not over. I generally like to be cynical about the Olympics, though.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'd like to complain about the opening ceremony coverage by NBC. On an hour tape delay to start with, and commercials inserted every 5 minutes to stretch it out even more.

I miss the BBC. A lot.

My wife and I had the same complaints. NBC made it nearly unwatchable for us.

I'm actually interested in the poop levels :). And if there is going to be any terrorism. I don't know anything about rugby but a fellow made me look at some rugby "7's" on youtube and I thought it looked cool and planned to watch some more. If there are girls playing rugby, well I will definitely want to watch that if it's not over. I generally like to be cynical about the Olympics, though.

I had friends that played rugby in college and they always looked like they were just hit by a car. A brutal sport that you have to be a bit crazy to play. This was the first time I had seen women play. The Australian gal wearing #7 was a cutie. Hair braided and tied with yellow bows. Was worth watching for her alone.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I gotta say, nobody walks a straight line like supermodels. That's talent. And it apparently counts as opening ceremony caliber entertainment.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I had friends that played rugby in college and they always looked like they were just hit by a car. A brutal sport that you have to be a bit crazy to play. This was the first time I had seen women play. The Australian gal wearing #7 was a cutie. Hair braided and tied with yellow bows. Was worth watching for her alone.
Again, I don't know nothin' 'bout no rugby, but the guys I saw playing it on youtube had tons of muscles and it looked like zero body fat. When they were colliding I couldn't help wincing because it looked like football players with no padding (artificial or fat) hitting each other at high speed. I didn't think rugby was a gentle sport but it was like human pinball. Then I read that women play rugby too and I'm all I gotta see this.

On attractive Olympians... I watched some of the (a?) Canada vs Australia soccer match and there were very many beautiful women.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Again, I don't know nothin' 'bout no rugby, but the guys I saw playing it on youtube had tons of muscles and it looked like zero body fat. When they were colliding I couldn't help wincing because it looked like football players with no padding (artificial or fat) hitting each other at high speed. I didn't think rugby was a gentle sport but it was like human pinball. Then I read that women play rugby too and I'm all I gotta see this.

On attractive Olympians... I watched some of the (a?) Canada vs Australia soccer match and there were very many beautiful women.

Sevens is rugby amped up. Ideal for quick bursts, 7-per-side (on a regular-sized pitch!), 7 minutes per half. It actually lends itself better to smaller, faster, players (think those nippy little RBs who jink and juke and find a gap and make 300lb linemen look like statues), given the wide expanses of turf available and the need to score quickly. There's also far less worrying about the actual rules of the game and more concentrating on scoring lots of points quickly.

Move up to the full 15-a-side, 40-minutes per half game, and it gets very tactical, can get very bogged down, and the rules - sorry LAWS - require a law degree to comprehend. And you don't want to know what goes on in the middle of some of those scrums and rucks. (And that goes for the women and the men.)

invitro

May 4, 2012
Move up to the full 15-a-side, 40-minutes per half game, and it gets very tactical, can get very bogged down, and the rules - sorry LAWS - require a law degree to comprehend. And you don't want to know what goes on in the middle of some of those scrums and rucks. (And that goes for the women and the men.)
Now I do want to know what goes on, yuk yuk. (Would it make even Draymond Green blush?)

It may take me a law degree to be able to figure out where and when to watch particular events. I'm old fashioned and still watch things on TV, and my DirecTV currently has no fewer than six channels with Oly events: NBC, OLYMXHD, OLYSCHD, OLYBKHD, NBCSHD, and BRVOHD (I have chosen women's soccer: Brazil vs Sweden, aka blondes vs brunettes, for now). I'm gonna have to find a web page with a matrix of events, channels, and times. If anyone has one they like please post it :).

invitro

May 4, 2012
Laws, invitro.

LAWS.
Don't you be tellin' me 'bout no laws, bro...

2000ad_judge_dredd_i_am_the_law_textile_flag.jpg

Obligatory Olympic entrant: Laura Graves, USA, dressage.

uu4p4k8.jpg

invitro

May 4, 2012
I'm gonna have to find a web page with a matrix of events, channels, and times. If anyone has one they like please post it :).
NBC has a great (and easy) webpage for Oly TV listings. You can filter by sport, and enter your TV provider. I copied the next few days of rugby stuff (before I saw that I could enter my TV provider...) and will copy that here FWIW:

RUGBY: http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/rugby
2016-08-07su 12n USA-242 rugby, volleyball
2016-08-07su 4p CNBC-355 rugby, soccer, shooting
2016-08-08m 1p NBCSN-220 fencing, rugby, table tennis
2016-08-08m 5p CNBC-355 water polo, rugby, beach volleyball, table tennis
2016-08-09tu 9a NBCSN-220 beach volleyball, rugby
2016-08-09tu 2:30p USA-242 beach volleyball, rugby
2016-08-09tu 5p CNBC-355 rugby, beach volleyball
etc.

The website doesn't say if it's men's or women's rugby, which is fine for now as I want to watch some of each, but seems a little strange. (Kolchak you may have created a monster here or maybe I'm just pumped after getting 1900M on Monster Bash in the tourney.)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Did you see the French gymnast break his leg? Just awful. The picture of it freaked me out a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.