Switchting TPA from Console to PC

Rage

Apr 25, 2017
Hello, I'm thinking of maybe trying out TPA for PC since I like the idea of monthly updates. I have very little interest in playing games on PC so don't know much. I bought a new laptop 5 months ago so should be able to run it with no problem? I need a controller since I have no desire to play a game with a keyboard. So I need help with a controller recommendation? Also, is it feasible to run TPA with a laptop hooked up to a TV with a HDMI cable? Thanks!

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
What are the specs of your laptop? In particular, is it using integrated graphics, or a discrete graphics card? If it's using integrated graphics, you probably won't be able to play TPA.

Since it's a new laptop I assume it came with Windows 10. The easiest controllers to use with Windows are (as you might expect) XBox 360 and Xbox One controllers. If you want a wireless controller, you'll need some kind of dongle for your laptop to be able to use it. Otherwise they are plug-and-play. Other controllers (e.g. PS3/PS4) may be more tricky to work with and may require additional software.

You can certainly hook your laptop up to your TV. The same caveats apply as they would for your console: make sure the TV is in low-latency ("game") mode, or expect input lag.

Rage

Apr 25, 2017
Thanks! So far it's not going well. I tried to download TPA 2 times already and the last time I got some kind of file lock error I think during an update file. I'll try with downloading Steam again and go from there. The time before was an unknown error while trying to open it. Getting discouraged fast. No idea about the video card. I assumed if a phone can play it so can I. I3 Processor and 8G Ram, Win10

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
As Eldar said, when it comes to game performance, it really depends on your graphics card. The PC version provides much better graphics than the mobile version, so it does require more horsepower, but you can get by with a fairly cheap PC just as long as it doesn't have intergrated graphics which a lot of more affordable laptops do.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
You already have a controller that will work awesome on PC, your PS4 controller. You can either link it through blu-tooth or do what I do, which is plug it in with USB cable. Download DS4Windows, it's free, easy to set up, and works better I feel than having it integrated with Steam as then you have to play in Big Picture mode. Your call, but there ya go.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
didnt you say your dell runs dx9 just fine holly? maybe give him your spec and he can see how it compares. but if you want dx11 at full speed your gonna need a descrete graphics card a nvida *50m(750m 960m 1050ti) but if you tweak your settings no aa 720p 30fps you should get that on alot of tables that dont make heavy use of lighting

Tron

Jul 8, 2012
The game will run in DX9 on an i3 1.8ghz hd4000 chip with every graphic setting turned off and a resolution of 1280x720. It does slow down briefly for a second or two if the table goal animation creeps up on the screen. DX11 is unplayable.

Rage

Apr 25, 2017
You already have a controller that will work awesome on PC, your PS4 controller. You can either link it through blu-tooth or do what I do, which is plug it in with USB cable. Download DS4Windows, it's free, easy to set up, and works better I feel than having it integrated with Steam as then you have to play in Big Picture mode. Your call, but there ya go.

I've got it running, today. I've had a Steam update error for a few months and today it worked for the first time. I also got the PS4 controller up and running. I use the shoulder buttons for the flippers so Black Knight is affected by that because of it being the same buttons for Magna Save. I'm using DX9 as DX 11 plays really slow. Thanks all! Sick and tired of the lack of updates for the consoles and I still don't have all tables yet for season 6!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've got it running, today. I've had a Steam update error for a few months and today it worked for the first time. I also got the PS4 controller up and running. I use the shoulder buttons for the flippers so Black Knight is affected by that because of it being the same buttons for Magna Save. I'm using DX9 as DX 11 plays really slow. Thanks all! Sick and tired of the lack of updates for the consoles and I still don't have all tables yet for season 6!

Go into the menu of TPA and select the controls menu. You can reassign the buttons, making the magna save go to the trigger instead of the shoulder button.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts