Table of the Week Club...Week 10: THEATRE OF MAGIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Thanks for this tip. I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing this before. I use PC/keyboard, and use left/right nudge all the time and up nudge almost never. It works for me about 50% like vikingerik says, or even more if I concentrate on timing. I can get 8X easily now! I've boosted my high score from 6.6B #850 to 12.9B #80. I didn't count my balls but I think about 6B of that 12.9B was bonus?

And I don't hate ToM any more... I like it a lot now :). Funny how that happens.

I had to laugh out loud about this :) I have had that happen with a couple of tables. I even felt King of the Hill once on Big Shot until I realized a couple of games later that that 350K+ score won't happen soon again....But Genie is probably my best example of a table that I got into after hating it for a while. Funny thing was that the thing that did that was switching from 5 to 3 balls per game. Still waiting on that love thing to happen for me with Dr. Dude and Champion Pub. I give CP the decidedly better chance of getting some love from me. With bonus upward of 500M on some later balls, you could be right that half of your score was actually bonus.

Just curious, as a non-native English speaker I was shortly under the impression that "counting my balls" was some sort of street-wise expression (like counting yourself lucky or relieved that you escaped a form of danger), but I think you meant it literally? Anyway, after that my mind went elsewhere.... :)

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
Just curious, as a non-native English speaker I was shortly under the impression that "counting my balls" was some sort of street-wise expression (like counting yourself lucky or relieved that you escaped a form of danger), but I think you meant it literally? Anyway, after that my mind went elsewhere.... :)
Literally, but after typing it, I thought of the crude meaning. It's hard to go a day in pinball without coming across some kind of vulgarity... :) :(

...My last three balls had a just over 1B bonus. I'm eager to go back and try again, but it'll have to get in line as I played MB a couple hours late and am starting to think that it just might be my all-time favorite table... eager for MB to be the TotW, maybe it can be TotW twice since it has so much to love? :)

Last edited:

Morg

Apr 3, 2014
Finally got to play this once last night(while cooking) and set my highest non-tournament score of a paltry-for-most-people 2.1B. Had 6 illusions and 11pm on the clock so it wasn't quite my best game for goals as I once had everything but one illusion done and then of course started thinking about getting to the Finale and blew it. Still pretty damn good for the first pinball I've played all week.

Best part was, my pasta wasn't even cold. :)

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
I had to laugh out loud about this :) I have had that happen with a couple of tables. I even felt King of the Hill once on Big Shot until I realized a couple of games later that that 350K+ score won't happen soon again....But Genie is probably my best example of a table that I got into after hating it for a while. Funny thing was that the thing that did that was switching from 5 to 3 balls per game. Still waiting on that love thing to happen for me with Dr. Dude and Champion Pub. I give CP the decidedly better chance of getting some love from me.
Yeah, I love it when this happens. Quite a few tables that I thought were crap have really grown on me. I didn't think ToM was crap by any means, but it was never a table I really liked - I have to say it's pretty good after playing it some more now.
I shot 9.95B on Theater and 9.99B on White Water btw ;) HOF rollover problems suck, but hopefully I can do a couple of more tries for higher scores with that out of the way :)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Yeah, I love it when this happens. Quite a few tables that I thought were crap have really grown on me. I didn't think ToM was crap by any means, but it was never a table I really liked - I have to say it's pretty good after playing it some more now.
I shot 9.95B on Theater and 9.99B on White Water btw ;) HOF rollover problems suck, but hopefully I can do a couple of more tries for higher scores with that out of the way :)

Another reason to switch to PC... no HOF, so no worrying about the HOF rollover bug! Just the stupid score rollover bugs in CftBL et al.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
You've got a good point there EoS. I do like to play on the bed or sofa though... The pictures from PS4 look amazing so I might give the PC a try when DX11 support is out.

I don't get why we don't have HOF points on all platforms. It's a good concept and can't be much harder to implement on PC/PS etc. The set scores to beat are over the top on some tables and way too easy on some, but just right every now and then. ToM (12M?) and WH2O (16M?) seems about right. And then if we can get HOF tied to the score that gets posted to the global leaderboards instead of the local (to avoid max scores on the ROM) it would be perfect. A few weeks ago I didn't even know there was a leaderboard for HOF points. I blame you Slam for getting me involved in this! :):)

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
Once again I had a decent game last nite, but couldn't get Grand Finale started for a second time. Is there something I'm missing? Because the first time you just complete all 4 of the tasks, do you have to do something special to run it again?

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
You've got a good point there EoS. I do like to play on the bed or sofa though... The pictures from PS4 look amazing so I might give the PC a try when DX11 support is out.

I don't get why we don't have HOF points on all platforms. It's a good concept and can't be much harder to implement on PC/PS etc. The set scores to beat are over the top on some tables and way too easy on some, but just right every now and then. ToM (12M?) and WH2O (16M?) seems about right. And then if we can get HOF tied to the score that gets posted to the global leaderboards instead of the local (to avoid max scores on the ROM) it would be perfect. A few weeks ago I didn't even know there was a leaderboard for HOF points. I blame you Slam for getting me involved in this! :):)

Sorry...:) but I actually don't mean that *cue evil laughter*
I like the competition with HOF points because that's the one thing I found to be doable. I haven't got the time and attention span (and probably also the skill) to grind it out with the likes of VikingErik and Tarik. Besides I don't think you can get anywhere near those scores on iOS vs. PC because of the level of nudge control. Although Toolinit may beg to differ on this point. I blame Invitro for getting me into his highscore list thread and go beyond the scores required for 1000 HOF points. So we all can blame someone....:)

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Once again I had a decent game last nite, but couldn't get Grand Finale started for a second time. Is there something I'm missing? Because the first time you just complete all 4 of the tasks, do you have to do something special to run it again?
Nothing that I can think of. Complete Theatre, start the 8th illusion, start and play multiball, start and play Midnight Madness. Then shoot the U-turn loop to start Grand Finale. Are you doing all that? Remember you do have to do all 4 tasks again, not just the 8 illusions.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
Nothing that I can think of. Complete Theatre, start the 8th illusion, start and play multiball, start and play Midnight Madness. Then shoot the U-turn loop to start Grand Finale. Are you doing all that? Remember you do have to do all 4 tasks again, not just the 8 illusions.

Right, I did manage to start it for a 2nd time last nite. I was obviously missing one of the tasks (I just learned those 4 lights at the bottom state which ones are complete....doh).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts