Touchscreen digitizer damage possible?

strells

Oct 7, 2014
I love playing TPA on my 2013 Nexus 7. However, I've noticed that sometimes, especially when I'm in a multiball, most recently with Creature from the Black Lagoon, if I'm holding a ball on the left flipper, shooting a ball from the right flipper doesn't happen and I lose the ball. This has been annoying me for a while and I was blaming TPA, force quitting the app or rebooting the device (which seemed to help a little). However, today I tried flipping my tablet 180 degrees. Now I'm not having the problem. Is it possible from so much pinball playing that I could somehow have damaged the touchscreen for multitouch in the lower corners of my tablet? I've never heard of this happening.

Perhaps someone who knows a bit more about touchscreen technology than myself might know.

Steve

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Yes. This has happened. I've seen pics of worn tablets either here or on the Facebook FarSight area. I forget.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
There's no visible damage and single touch seems to work fine. Only multitouch seems to be the issue.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
You said it works fine flipped, so it's not the app. You're just gonna have to get used to playing it that way or repair/replace the tablet.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Nexus 7 2013 has been known to suffer from digitiser issues in past OS releases.

So much so there is a dedicated thread on XDA able it, with digitiser firmware extracted that you can flash to the device.

Batches of this tablet used different manufacturers with different capacitive resistance, so if an upgrade pushed digitiser FW updates, you ran the risk of the tuning for your specific Tablet being out of spec.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

strells

Oct 7, 2014
Nexus 7 2013 has been known to suffer from digitiser issues in past OS releases.

So much so there is a dedicated thread on XDA able it, with digitiser firmware extracted that you can flash to the device.

Batches of this tablet used different manufacturers with different capacitive resistance, so if an upgrade pushed digitiser FW updates, you ran the risk of the tuning for your specific Tablet being out of spec.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Very interesting. Is this the thread you're referring to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2428133

I'm not sure I want or need to go through with this, considering I had some of my best games of the tournament yesterday with it flipped upside down (over 4B in CFtBL)!

Steve

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I've also had a ton of touchscreen issues with my 2013 N7. Asus even replaced the screen, but there are still issues. They also have pretty lame customer service.

I've been so disappointed with my N7. The problem is, it still technically works, so I have a hard time paying for something new......like a Shield K1.

Last edited:

strells

Oct 7, 2014
I've also had a ton of touchscreen issues with my 2013 N7. Asus even replaced the screen, but there are still issues. They also have pretty lame customer service.

I've been so disappointed with my N7. The problem is, it still technically works, so I have a hard time paying for something new......like a Shield K1.

I guess that leads me to ask what people think is the best current 7 inch Android tablet. I find that the Nexus 7 is almost perfect for TPA, so I'd like to go with another 7 inch tablet. Any chance Google will actually get back into this space at Google I/O next week?

Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts