Tournaments and League Play

* As much as I enjoy playing pinball, I have never played in a pinball league or in a sanctioned tournament. I say "sanctioned", because I've played probably thousands of impromptu tourneys. Not for money prizes or trophies, but bragging rights of a particular machine.
* These matches would be for the title of "who's best at this particular moment", usually between friends. And there's always the "top score", which back in the day was a note taped on the head of the machine with the name, score and date. This was done on the honor system, but did require an impartial viewer to verify the deed. (With the modern way of entering one's initials as the machine itself verifies the score, it's hard to imagine what the future holds).
* The best matches came in arcades. Arcades, before their demise, drew players from all over, each eager to play a variety of machines. Each player had different levels of skill on different tables. Proper pinball etiquette required anyone wishing to play the table after the current game was completed to place a quarter/token on the glass covering the rules sheet. Of course, the current player had the option of asking if he could play multiplayer, with a refusal within the rights of the next player.*
* Several things would come *into play. The current player's skill and attitude. The next player's attitude and the possibility that other players would be playing the multiplayer option. The location of the arcade was a factor. I made several friends thru the years by allowing a current player to join me in playing. And in one instance, that connection helped avoid a confrontation away from the arcade. It wasn't the Jets versus the Sharks, but it could've gotten out of hand. We were young and stupid.
* It may be that I'm just noticing it more, but tournaments seem to be on the rise. So, I guess it's time. Time for me to enter a tournament! The Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo will be held in Atlanta next month, and NotTheWife and I will be attending. The SFGE is an official stop for the PAPA circuit. Cash prizes will be awarded, trophies too, as well as ranking points for World Pinball Player Ranking. A classic and a main event tournament will be hosted by PAPA and sanctioned by the IFPA. I won't list all the information, but if you're interested, the website will be <www.southernfriedgameroomexpo.com>.
* Now, I'm guessing this probably won't be like anything I've ever done before. I'm competitive when the situation calls for it. When I played my former boss in chess, I was out for blood. The game was such that word spread thru out the office, and everyone gathered around to watch me pummel him (this was a guy nobody liked). But checkers with my four year old granddaughter, I have yet to win a game. She does have some unorthodox tactics, like moving my checkers for me and putting her jumped men back on the board. But I am looking forward to it. If anyone has suggestions, please pass them to me. I'll be posting the final results. The line for jeering and harassing starts...here.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *Updated High Score List

Haunted House 906,760

* * * * * * * * * * * * * Hall of Fame points: 10350

(I've slacked off playing TPA like I used to. So there hasn't been as many changes to high scores. I ran into "The Wall" too. Finding TPA was great, and after downloading all the tables, it was like what I imagine being addicted is like. I was playing all the time, much to the chagrin of The Wife. I am looking to the head-to-head feature being activated. Being challenged may be what I need.)

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
So much for proof reading....the expo was attended by me and TheWife, not NotTheWife. The two did meet, once, but that is a whole 'nother blog. This year's expo (2015) will also be attended by the both of us. I shall endevour to post pictures as I can...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts