Request Turn off the end game number match

ChezRoxwell

Feb 20, 2014
I'd like an option to be able to turn off the end of game number match thing that happens on the display. Since these tables are theoretically set to "free play" there's no reason for it happen, and some of these tables have annoyingly long match games (MB I'm looking at you). It's cool to see them, but would be nice to toggle them on or off.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
On some tables, the emulator framework uses the match sequence as a sign that the game has ended. Removing the match sequence would therefore cause the emulator framework to not realize the game has ended, thus putting TPA in an unresponsive state.

At least, that's the answer we got when this question was first asked 2 years ago.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Does the game operate properly if you do? I thought it was one of those "available but discouraged" options.

Never tried it before. Just tested it on Whirlwind on Android, and the game didn't go back to the menu after the last ball. Had to hit pause and quit manually.

It's true that it uses the match to detect the end of the game after all.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
On some tables, the emulator framework uses the match sequence as a sign that the game has ended. Removing the match sequence would therefore cause the emulator framework to not realize the game has ended, thus putting TPA in an unresponsive state.

At least, that's the answer we got when this question was first asked 2 years ago.
All they'd have to do is feed the game code the signal that the match code does to signal an ended game. Shouldn't be even remotely difficult.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
All they'd have to do is feed the game code the signal that the match code does to signal an ended game. Shouldn't be even remotely difficult.

I think it looks for the DMD image of the match sequence to end the game, so cutting it out causes problem.

N

netizen

It seems to be hit and miss, depending on the build, as to whether you can have Match turned off or not, but from the players POV it's nigh impossible to tell what is different.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Maybe a solution for making the match sequence more palatable is to enhance the sound so that you can hear a loud thunk when a match is made. There is nothing so satisfying in pinball to me than the thunk at happens when you win a game.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Maybe a solution for making the match sequence more palatable is to enhance the sound so that you can hear a loud thunk when a match is made. There is nothing so satisfying in pinball to me than the thunk at happens when you win a game.

Personally I always wished a matched game wouldn't trigger the knocker. It should be triggered by skill only, saying to everyone else in the arcade, yeah, this guy's something :D

Unrelated to TPA, mind you.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
I personally feel it's necessary--the knock draws attention to the machine so the player may turn around and discover he or she just won a free game.

I often see pinball machines with one credit on it due to most people not knowing the match sequence even exists. They drain thelast ball and walk away or go to another machine. That being said, if they don't know what the knock means, or they don't notice there's one more credit on the machine, it's worthless.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts