• Paragon

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • Embryon

Votes: 29 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
In case you missed it, Farsight posted an official poll on Facebook for fans to choose between Paragon or Embryon to kick off Season 7!

You may remember Paragon from such polls as the pre-1980 poll that was somehow won by Xenon, which counted only on a technicality.

You probably don't remember Embryon at all, except it's another Bally wide-body from the same era as Paragon, has a weird layout and a sci-fi theme.

Both would make excellent additions to TPA - but which one will make it in? The official FB poll will take in non-forum members. So in the grand tradition of plagiarism, here's a poll for forum members only, to see if we come up with a different answer so we can all get butt-hurt when the table chosen isn't the one we want.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
Embryon is -- by far -- the more interesting table. It has an extra right flipper near the outlane which is only active when it's lit.

Paragon seems a lot like the 1979 Star Trek table in its execution. There *are* differences in the playfield of course: for one thing, the Star Trek table is *not* a widebody. But Paragon generates the same sounds with the exception of the final ball drain. On the Star Trek table when the final ball drains you get about 10 notes of the Star Trek theme. It might be a way to get a "sort of" 1979 Star Trek without the license fee; but other than that, IMO the table is not all that interesting.

I voted for Embryon.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Both are in the same ballpark for me. Went with Paragon so Hairy doesn't leave a burning bag of dog sh*# on my front porch.
Embryon can play a bit slow at times also. Both are visually excellent imo. Back in the day I often avoided Paragon as it was a quarter thief. But with unlimited play, I think I would slightly prefer Paragon.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2016
I want both. And we're probably going to get both this season. But since we're just about to get a cool fantasy-themed table, I voted for 70s sci-fi action.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Embryon is -- by far -- the more interesting table. It has an extra right flipper near the outlane which is only active when it's lit.

Paragon seems a lot like the 1979 Star Trek table in its execution. There *are* differences in the playfield of course: for one thing, the Star Trek table is *not* a widebody. But Paragon generates the same sounds with the exception of the final ball drain. On the Star Trek table when the final ball drains you get about 10 notes of the Star Trek theme. It might be a way to get a "sort of" 1979 Star Trek without the license fee; but other than that, IMO the table is not all that interesting.

I voted for Embryon.

my lodge (ioof) has a 79 star trek and I play it often - I have also played paragon a few times and never made the connection. Had to look at screen shots of both play fields and would say that paragon is the spiritual sibling of star trek (manufactured roughly the same time) - similar but enough differences that both tables can stand on their own.

hoping that its a tie and they just release both as the ultimate 2-pack.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm more inclined to think that FS are getting a "loaner" table from Arcade Expo in Banning, a partnership they've recently entered into (after all it's right at the foot of the mountain... albeit there's no direct road from Big Bear to Banning). They just need help deciding which one to do.

It's no surprise this poll came about right after this year's event - FS probably had people running around trying tables to see what they'd like to do.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
I hope to get both in tpa eventually like you all say, I picked Paragon 'cus purdy art :p I don't do fb tho so my vote is silent

karl

May 10, 2012
Since I already own a Paragon, I should probably have voted for Embryon, just to have tables I do not know inside and out.

But come on, It's frea..n ' paragon. I will never tire of it.

Go for it, you beautiful beast! Roar your head into the digital realm of pinball and never look back :)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
just wondering if ya dont mind karlos but how much did that paragon set ya back? and when am i invited over

Members online

Members online