Video - streaming performance is lousy.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Decided to treat myself to one of the new videos available within TPA app.
Despite the trailer working, having purchased the full video, it will only run for approx 1min then stop or break up.
I've tried several high performance devices, several browsers, checked my download performance (which is 16mb/sec+ and I regularly stream other programmes and video content elsewhere).
This makes me think it can only be the source site.

Anyone else struggling with this?

Farsight - can it be fixed? Or, can I get a refund?

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Does it only offer streaming for you? Whenever I purchase a video it gives me the option to download it (via ES File Explorer), which makes it much easier because I can just use VLC to play it whenever I want.

EDIT: Correcting that typo makes this irreverent, but now it thinks I'm talking about Earthshaker.

Last edited:

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking of. I guess that's what I get for talking about FS all the time :p

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Thanks guys! - ES explorer has allowed me to download it, as opposed to streaming.

Tried using Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin, and Samsung's own browser, but none give you the download alternative to streaming live.
Also have Astro and root explorer on both device's, but they didn't show as options either.

Chellspecker

Apr 20, 2013
I'm having the same issue using iOS on my iPad. I didn't see any option to download. I purchased the Pinball 101 video, and the streaming is so intermittent that it's unwatchable. I find it very frustrating. I mean, come on. YouTube is much better than this, and it's free. FarSight, I'm talking to you. Is there some way to download the video to my device or even my computer from which (I think?) I can transfer it to my iPad. iOS is so weird that way. I would like to be able to watch the video I paid five dollars for.

I just searched the App Store and there's no ES File Explorer for iOS, but there's a bunch of apps that come up when I search for "file explorer". Does anyone know of one that would give me the option of downloading this video to my non-jailbroken iPad. I think I had one called iExplorer at some point which involved crazy workarounds with iTunes and file syncing just to transfer simple documents to my device. Is there one that's either free or easy to use or both?

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I'm having the same issue using iOS on my iPad. I didn't see any option to download. I purchased the Pinball 101 video, and the streaming is so intermittent that it's unwatchable. I find it very frustrating. I mean, come on. YouTube is much better than this, and it's free. FarSight, I'm talking to you. Is there some way to download the video to my device or even my computer from which (I think?) I can transfer it to my iPad. iOS is so weird that way. I would like to be able to watch the video I paid five dollars for.

I just searched the App Store and there's no ES File Explorer for iOS, but there's a bunch of apps that come up when I search for "file explorer". Does anyone know of one that would give me the option of downloading this video to my non-jailbroken iPad. I think I had one called iExplorer at some point which involved crazy workarounds with iTunes and file syncing just to transfer simple documents to my device. Is there one that's either free or easy to use or both?

I'm not familiar with Ios to help you unfortunately, but I did email support at the same time as this threads OP, and got the following response...

"Hi there,:) Thank you for your report, we'll do our best to fix this as quickly as possible. Feel free to either wait and see if we get a fix out as soon as possible, or if it just doesn't start working soon, then feel free to send us your proof of purchase for the video and we'll get that refunded for you.
Apologies for the inconvenience!
Please respond to this message if more information is requested or required.
Thank you,"

I'd consider sending an email to Farsight... support@pinballarcade.com
It would enhance their awareness of the problem.

Chellspecker

Apr 20, 2013
Thanks for the tip. Just sent an email to them. The video is quite entertaining, it's just impossible to watch with the jerky streaming quality. I'm not really interested in messing around with file transfers and whatnot. If they offer a streamed video and charge money for them, the ball is in their court to offer a product that actually does what it's supposed to. The videos seem like a bit of an afterthought, or, as is becoming the norm for FarSight, I'm afraid, another release with none of the bugs worked out. I wonder if maybe they're trying to release TPA on too many platforms? I can't imagine the work involved in porting to so many different platforms, and it's maybe just a question of too much work that's left the end users with so many unresolved issues. Of course, no one is perfect, and generally I try not to complain too much.

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Thanks for the tip. Just sent an email to them. The video is quite entertaining, it's just impossible to watch with the jerky streaming quality. I'm not really interested in messing around with file transfers and whatnot. If they offer a streamed video and charge money for them, the ball is in their court to offer a product that actually does what it's supposed to. The videos seem like a bit of an afterthought, or, as is becoming the norm for FarSight, I'm afraid, another release with none of the bugs worked out. I wonder if maybe they're trying to release TPA on too many platforms? I can't imagine the work involved in porting to so many different platforms, and it's maybe just a question of too much work that's left the end users with so many unresolved issues. Of course, no one is perfect, and generally I try not to complain too much.

Sounds like a bandwidth issue to me. Since multiple people are experiencing this then it's probably on FS's end. I wonder if it's harder to stream today because more people are likely purchasing Pinball 101 since it was just released?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Sounds like a bandwidth issue to me. Since multiple people are experiencing this then it's probably on FS's end. I wonder if it's harder to stream today because more people are likely purchasing Pinball 101 since it was just released?

This sounds possible. But then again, this didn't happen with "History of Pinball". Could "101" be that much more popular?

N

netizen

My fear is that the skills shown won't be transferable to TPA. :)

That's not a fear, it's assured. You can be aware of the aspects of the game, but knowing too much of what you cannot do might make the game less enjoyable. It's a slippery slope, imo.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
My fear is that the skills shown won't be transferable to TPA. :)

I've only watched a third of it so far, and it's definitely worth its price IMO just from what I've seen so far.

Some of the skills are transferable to TPA, others won't be due to TPA flipper physics, further ones won't be due to my lack of talent.

I'm having a blast watching 10mins of video, then having a practice in TPA. I would have considered myself a moderately good player before, yet it's giving me some new styles of play to think about, and different ways to achieve things from my normal ingrained skill set / muscle memory.

Aside from what you can use in TPA, it gives you a lot of quick tips for various tables that are in TPA. Also whatever skills you can't use in TPA now might be improved upon in the future releases, and you can always try them on the real thing if you get the chance.

The link below gives you a full video index with screen shots showing what you could learn. Might help you decide.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/pinball101/index.html

Last edited:

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts