VirtuaPin mini review with Pinball Arcade!

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
I got a VirtuaPin Mini and I wrote a review of it here with lots of internal pics:

https://blog.codinghorror.com/your-digital-pinball-machine/

There's a nice shot of it running Bride of Pinbot in DX11 mode. Still waiting for update of the excellent freecam mod so I can get all three screens working on it.

It is a bummer that "licensing" prevents a proper (easy-to-use, I mean) cabinet mode being added to Pinball Arcade. But I still own all the tables and plan to buy every single one released forever! Not on all platforms, though, sorry, just on Steam / PC ;)

paul.strauss

Jan 3, 2015
Yeah, I have all kinds of wacky hacks in place to get the scoreboard to display on a second screen with Pinball Arcade. I sure wish that the licensing thing wouldn't stand in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
Since we have (correctly) learned that the playfield display is the critical bit of a pinball cabinet...

I can't wait until 27" OLED displays are available. The difference between LED and OLED is astounding, the OLED TV set I have blows away even my old plasma unit. Blacks being all the way black is NUTS. Huge visual range between bright stuff and dark stuff, which will be great for Pinballs what with all the lights.. I'm looking at you F-14 Tomcat!

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Nice review. I almost built a mini cab but I went for 40" instead. Looks like a fun machine.

And yes OLED is the thing. I was blown away when I saw the latest LG model at a store. All other TVs looked like crap in comparison.
I looked it up in Germanys most renowned test magazine and they wrote they had to alter their rating system for the first time since 15 years because they never had such an awesome picture quality.
Next set I'll buy will be OLED!

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
It 100% lives up to the hype. I could not believe how much better OLED was than plasma, much less LCD. It breaks your eyes it's so good, it ruins all other displays for you :(

I can't wait until all PC monitors are OLED. It's soooo amazing.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts