Request Voting for monthly DLC and Kickstarter for acquiring difficult licenses...

Would you support and donate to a Kickstarter For FarSight?

• Yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
I've been thinking about how Farsight will be handling future DLC, and I understand that they've probably already planned out the next 6 months or so of future DLC tables.
However, since Farsight isn't your typical developer, and they offer a fairly niche product to a such a diehard dedicated community, I wanted to suggest that they might in the future let us vote on upcoming DLC that they develop. Farsight, do you think that this may be possible sometime in the future?

And additionally, since I know there are certain tables like Guns N' Roses, or Tron LE for example, where the licensing fees might not make it feasible. Would you ever consider using Kickstarter as a way to help offset the cost of unobtainable licenses? Here's an example of one such developer who's used Kickstarter rather successfully:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure
Since you've got such a dedicated fanbase, you could offer many cool incentives for those that participate by offering $$ support. Just a thought, but again, since this is such a niche product, it would be a great way to help bring your user base even closer, and take away some of the risk of releasing DLC that might not be as profitable.
Let us know what you think??

PinMike8666

Feb 20, 2012
I quite like that Kickstarter idea; Al Lowe is trying to resurrect his Leisure Suit Larry franchise under this site.

As far as polling goes, I'm mixed. It would be awesome since people get to choose the tables; however, there are some awesome overlooked tables that could get ignored in favor of the more popular tables.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I quite like that Kickstarter idea; Al Lowe is trying to resurrect his Leisure Suit Larry franchise under this site.

As far as polling goes, I'm mixed. It would be awesome since people get to choose the tables; however, there are some awesome overlooked tables that could get ignored in favor of the more popular tables.

Not sure that it would cmpletely overlook specific tables. I doubt it would be a poll where if you have choice a and choice b, if choice a wins then choice b is eliminated from future contention. You're just giving the people buying the product a voice in what they wish to see first. I think it would be cool to have 5 tables and whichever one or two comes out on top determines the DLC for that month. The tables that didn't win could be out the following month or maybe further down the road but it would just be cool to give the fans that voice.

Snotrot

Apr 14, 2012
The Kickstarter thing is a great idea! As for voting, I share concers than some tables may be overlooked.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
The Kickstarter thing is a great idea! As for voting, I share concers than some tables may be overlooked.

but voting could also help prevent tables from getting overlooked at the same time! (since it's the fans proposals added to what FarSight thinks would be good choices...) I personally think someone should *pool* the table requests from the "most wanted tables thread" and then *poll* the forum on those =)

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
iirc Farsight has said some time ago that they were considering letting users vote for future DLC. Can't find when/where they said it though..

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
iirc Farsight has said some time ago that they were considering letting users vote for future DLC. Can't find when/where they said it though..

it was on the PSN Blog. Bobby King said in response to a user that people could already vote for their favorite tables in *this* forum and that they were considering to have an official DLC vote on their website in the future...

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
They also mentioned having an official vote a couple months ago when they were asking which EM tables we'd like to see.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The vote concept would have to be taken care of delicately, questions of where to get the list of tables to vote on. If a table has the most votes then the voters go back in the pool to vote on remaining tables? When DLC is released do the tallys reset and everyone can vote on the existing list again?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
it was on the PSN Blog. Bobby King said in response to a user that people could already vote for their favorite tables in *this* forum and that they were considering to have an official DLC vote on their website in the future...

Not sure what he might have meant by that. Certainly we have polls about various things like favorite System 11 game and favorite release game but none of that has anything to do with DLC content. I would really like to see something in a future release where you have a voting booth or something like that in place of a table and when you get that you can vote on future DLC. That would offer better control to make sure only people that downloaded the game can vote and everyone is limited to one vote per platform they have TPA on.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
FarSight also stated on their TPA Facebook Wall that they were looking into doing a poll a few times a year to let users vote on which table(s) they would like to see released as DLC. I'm assuming they'll have a list of tables that users can vote on which one(s) they would like to see next.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Public and extremely visible voting on tables could potentially affect pending licensing fees... in some cases positively and in some cases negatively.
When lawyers get involved in such things, with dollar signs in front of their eyes , perceived demand and/or lack of demand can swing decisions.

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
That is true Retrodude, but the laywers already have the top 100 list on several sites to reference anyways.

Can someone post the Kickstarter idea to Farsight on Facebook? (I deactivated some time ago). Again, I know I personally don't mind pitching in extra for licenses that would normally be out of the question, and I'm sure there are others out there who would do the same too. Maybe we should vote/suggest a table for Farsight to try a Kickstarter first? Since they've pretty much said that Guns N' Roses is probably out of the question due to expensive licensing, maybe that would make a good candidate. What do you guys think?

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
As one of the incentives for the Kickstarter "backers", they could possibly provide exclusive behind the scenes videos. Has anyone posted the Kickstarter idea on FB yet?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'm already supporting them financially by buying the game and all the DLC on 3 different platforms (4 when they get the PC version out).

If they expressed a specific financial need, which they never have, then I would be willing to do something like his, but until they do, I have to assume they have enough funds from sales to do what they need to do.

As far as bugs go, I really wish they would continue some beta testing on the new tables and software updates. Even if they just have a handful of dedicated volunteers, I think it would make a big difference....and the beta testers are willing to work for free, so why not?

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm already supporting them financially by buying the game and all the DLC on 3 different platforms (4 when they get the PC version out).

If they expressed a specific financial need, which they never have, then I would be willing to do something like his, but until they do, I have to assume they have enough funds from sales to do what they need to do.

As far as bugs go, I really wish they would continue some beta testing. Even if they just have a handful of dedicated volunteers, I think it would make a big difference....and it's free for them too.

Well said Jeff, I feel the exact same way.

Members online

Members online