Wanted: Lord of the Rings

mattenno

Aug 17, 2012
Can we do a kickstarter to get Lord of the Rings on Stern Pinball Arcade? I think that game is great and I would love to be able to play it at home.

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
I'd love to see it as well. But I'm kind of Kickstartered out.
i'm also think that they must stop this milking of fanbase - they must learn something from Zen who's licensing managers figured out some way to work with Disney, Marvel and other without kickstarters.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I'm in and would gladly support a Kickstarter. I'm also curious if they would do LOTR in SPA at some point.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
i'm also think that they must stop this milking of fanbase - they must learn something from Zen who's licensing managers figured out some way to work with Disney, Marvel and other without kickstarters.

Well Disney owns Marvel, for starters.

And who's to say that Zen weren't approached by Disney, instead of the other way round? That's usually the way these things work: the company that owns the IP and wants to create new content will get in touch with companies who can create that content for them. So Disney would've said "how about creating digital fantasy pinball from our Star Wars and Marvel IPs?" and it would've rolled from there, with Zen eventually coming out as the winners (and maybe the only option considered, who knows?).

Farsight find themselves in a somewhat unique position, of basically attempting to do the whole thing in reverse. And some companies have moved on from making a few hundred thousand bucks (if that) off of a pinball table that's 15+ years old; if it would cost WB (in the case of LotR) more in legal fees and wages to negotiate with Farsight than it would end up making them in royalties and licensing fees, they're not going to do it. Plus as we saw with TAF, there are actors likenesses, voices, and so on, all of which must be negotiated individually.

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
Farsight find themselves in a somewhat unique position, of basically attempting to do the whole thing in reverse. And some companies have moved on from making a few hundred thousand bucks (if that) off of a pinball table that's 15+ years old; if it would cost WB (in the case of LotR) more in legal fees and wages to negotiate with Farsight than it would end up making them in royalties and licensing fees, they're not going to do it. Plus as we saw with TAF, there are actors likenesses, voices, and so on, all of which must be negotiated individually.
you had recent example of FS "negotiations" with third companies about their IP licenses with a FT Big Hurt table - reebok was just removed from the table and i would be very surprised, as a man who had work in a advertising management in real mass media holding, if FS contacted Reebok for FREE advertisment opportunity in their game and Reebok answered "No! we prefer pay for advertisement", most probably here just were no any negotiations, just because it is easier and faster for FS.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Well, if they do Rollergames, they better get the rights to Thermos or I might have to boycott it.

mattenno

Aug 17, 2012
Hopefully someday they will work with Jersey Jack and release The Hobbit on the Jersey Jack Pinball Arcade.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
I thought having a fully Stern based version of Pinball Arcade automatically gave them the rights to produce Stern's vast selection of tables. No?

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I thought having a fully Stern based version of Pinball Arcade automatically gave them the rights to produce Stern's vast selection of tables. No?

It's not that simple I think, because if Farsight wants to put in an older Stern table in SPA, Stern/Farsight would have to renegotiate rights for the IP's. So say they want to make LOTR, it's not as simple as saying "well that's a Stern and Farsight has a contract with them, so it's a go". They would have to go to New Line, or whoever holds the Tolkien movie rights at the moment and maybe even renegotiate with the actors that supplied their likeness and voices.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Hopefully someday they will work with Jersey Jack and release The Hobbit on the Jersey Jack Pinball Arcade.

That would be quite something! I'm very curious if it's possible to emulate the LCD video, even on more powerful systems like Steam and PS4/XB1.

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
That would be quite something! I'm very curious if it's possible to emulate the LCD video, even on more powerful systems like Steam and PS4/XB1.
1st thing: steam is not a system. and here are technics for rendering video in-frame for pretty many years - just look in other modern games - here a lot of examples of that, to be honest even old games have examples of that

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I know Steam is PC client software that runs on different OS like Windows, Mac and Linux, I was just referring to systems as a general description, jeez!
You may be right about the video rendering being possible, but JJP pins are driven by an internal PC themselves, so to emulate that for example on an iPhone? I don't know. But I'm not a technical guy, so I leave that discussion to the people who are really knowledgeable about that. I was just curious if it's possible.

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
I know Steam is PC client software that runs on different OS like Windows, Mac and Linux, I was just referring to systems as a general description, jeez!
You may be right about the video rendering being possible, but JJP pins are driven by an internal PC themselves, so to emulate that for example on an iPhone? I don't know. But I'm not a technical guy, so I leave that discussion to the people who are really knowledgeable about that. I was just curious if it's possible.
i think, most hard thing for mobiles to do in TPA with JJP tables is size of videos - real JJP tables show several video clips at once and phone/tablet screen size is just not enough to show them and table playfield at same time with player be able to recognize whats goin on

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Would pay for LOTR, TSPP and Spiderman (even if it meant kickstarters) for Stern Pinball Arcade. And a final one for Indiana Jones for TPA too.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
Yeah I've been wondering about The Simpsons Party Pinball, thats a bit of a cult machine and worthy of being included... Wizard Mode FTW!

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Yes, JJP machines run on a PC. You wouldn't (and couldn't) emulate a full PC on a phone, you'd use the source to compile a port for this platform, just like porting something like Skype or any other application software from a desktop version to mobile.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.