What will we see for the rest of 2013?...

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
I've seen lots of speculation about upcoming tables in this or that monthly pack. I think it's pretty impossible to predict the tables down to a given month like that. I'm wondering about the rest of 2013 as a whole, irrespective of which shows up in what month or what is paired with what else.

With one known single-table premium pack coming out in August, if all goes well and Farsight resumes two-table packs thenceforth, we'll see nine tables for the rest of the year. What will those nine tables be?

We know that Terminator 2: Judgement Day is on the way. That's one.

We know that Tee'd Off and Victory are announced, and Farsight has been whittling through their announced tables pretty well of late. PinWiz's grid doesn't have nearly as many announced tables as it once had. So, I'm guessing both of those tables will appear before the year is out. Maybe not together, but sometime this year. That's three.

I've heard a LOT of discussion about Eight Ball Deluxe and Fish Tales, and nothing much from FarSight to discourage that talk. Considering that EBD came in a close runner-up to Centaur in FarSight's company poll, and that both tables have broad historical appeal, my guess is that FarSight's reticence on these two is speaking volumes. I'm willing to bet those two will be in there. That's five. EDIT: As others have noted, there are some discouraging words from FarSight about Fish Tales that I hadn't heard when I first posted this. So, thus far this prediction now seems the shakiest.

Now, it gets trickier. As Jay Obernolte was presenting T2 in his Kickstarter video, he was veritably singing the praises of Steve Ritchie and how much the FarSight team (rightly) enjoys his designs. He mentioned High Speed, F-14 Tomcat, and High Speed II: The Getaway. I'm betting we see two of those three. Due to the historical significance of High Speed, it being the first pinball table with a narrative arc or "story" along with a number of other firsts, I think it will be one of the two. It resonates very well with FarSight's stated goal of preserving historical pinball tables for a new generation. High Speed clearly fits that bill. As for the other, it's hard to say. That's seven.

The other two are quite difficult to say. If a breakthrough happens in the rights-negotiation for The Addams Family, we may yet see another Kickstarter table (and a single-table premium pack) this year. That would bring the total tables remaining for 2013 from nine down to eight. If this happes, The Addams Family is definitely it. My suspicion is that it won't happen this year. The first two FarSight Kickstarter campaigns (for The Twilight Zone and Star Trek: The Next Generation) went very well and were never in doubt. The T2 Kickstarter did seem in doubt for a little while. So much so that FarSight was encouraged to add impressive new backer levels. Indeed, if the $400 "Beta-tester" level wasn't added to T2, I'm not sure it would have been funded. Good on FarSight for making that happen. I'm impressed. However, it does indicate there may be a level of Kickstarter fatigue out there. I have no doubt we'll see many more successful Kickstarters, but we may need a bit more time to pass before another Kickstarter could be fielded with confidence, despite the overwhelming call to see The Addams Family brought to The Pinball Arcade.

Assuming The Addams Family happens sometime in 2014 or 2015, the other two tables for 2013 are kind of a toss-up. I'd love to see Black Knight 2000, but discussion on Facebook seems to indicate that while we'll probably see it eventually, it will not appear in the immediate future. Black Rose has also gotten a bit of discussion and may be a possibility. Plus, by early September, the final results of PinWiz's polls will be revealed. These may have some influence on these final two tables. I don't think we'd see any from the premium/Kickstarter poll, or if we did it would be The Addams Family as discussed above. Of the other polls, I think the Williams and Bally polls seem to have generated the most passion. My bet is that the final two may be amongst the top three tables of those two polls, or possibly the top table of the Stern poll. That's nine.

Not sure how correct any of this speculation will be, but this is my first in-depth attempt at FarSight Kremlinology. I'll buy all the tables whatever they are, but it is fun to anticipate. Keep up all that great work down there in Big Bear Lake!

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
for certain: there will be more releases, speculation and disagreement

I disagree with your certainty about there being more speculation and disagreement, its possible they could both suddenly stop at some point in the future.

Oh, wait... damnit! ;)

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
For reissues I will say sorcerer, victory, teed off and el dorado. For new tables I will go with earthshaker, ebd, roller coaster tycoon and tales from the crypt. Addams family will bump el dorado and earthshaker if they can run the kickstarter before November 1st.

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
I've heard a LOT of discussion about Eight Ball Deluxe and Fish Tales, and nothing much from FarSight to discourage that talk. Considering that EBD came in a close runner-up to Flight 2000 in FarSight's company poll, and that both tables have broad historical appeal, my guess is that FarSight's reticence on these two is speaking volumes. I'm willing to bet those two will be in there. That's five.

I think you're getting your wires crossed on the classic table polls—EBD came in second to Centaur in the classic Bally poll, while Flight 2000 won a completely different poll dedicated to classic Sterns.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
For the Getaway, they would just need to get the rights to "La Grange" by ZZ Top-awesome song IMO. Tales from the Crypt has also come up a time or two. I'd be all over Black Rose, simply because I've never played the real one and so many pinball fans say it's great.

Stargazer

Jul 13, 2013
Farsight recently comented Fish Tales on Facebook with "we got Bigger fish to fry at the moment" and it didnt sound like Fish Tales was on its way soon. What bigger fish that could be may ofcourse be TAF but Bobby King also mentioned BBB in a radio interview as something they where very intrested to pursue...

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
BBB would be cool.

I would much rather see the Getaway over the first High Speed. I mean, High Speed is fun. But the Getaway, is like Super Mario Bros 3 compared to the first Super Mario Bros. We all love Super Mario Bros...but let's face it, we know where our hearts really lie:

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Tee'd off seems nailed on due to showing up on the Season 2 pack on the PS3.

I'm expecting Victory and Ace High as the other re-releases for the rest of the year, leaving only El Dorado and Sorcerer left as re-releases.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
I think you're getting your wires crossed on the classic table polls—EBD came in second to Centaur in the classic Bally poll, while Flight 2000 won a completely different poll dedicated to classic Sterns.

You're right about that. I meant Centaur. Corrected in the original post. Thanks.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
Farsight recently comented Fish Tales on Facebook with "we got Bigger fish to fry at the moment" and it didnt sound like Fish Tales was on its way soon. What bigger fish that could be may ofcourse be TAF but Bobby King also mentioned BBB in a radio interview as something they where very intrested to pursue...

Hmm, hadn't heard that comment about Fish Tales. That could certainly change the calculus a bit. However, I thought Big Bang Bar was a table they wanted to do, but had some obstacle, (I'm fuzzy on what that was). Maybe whatever obstacle they had has been overcome.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
I would much rather see the Getaway over the first High Speed. I mean, High Speed is fun. But the Getaway, is like Super Mario Bros 3 compared to the first Super Mario Bros. We all love Super Mario Bros...but let's face it, we know where our hearts really lie:

I'd eventually like to see both of them. But, actually, I'd rather see the first High Speed, mostly for nostalgic reasons. I used to play the original High Speed in the arcade back in the day. The Getaway came along later and is a fine table that I'd also enjoy, but my love of pinball was largely forged on the original. From a more objective standpoint, I think the original also has a bit more historical value as well. But, yes, ultimately, both (and their Steve Ritchie sisters F-14 Tomcat and Black Knight 2000) would all be fantastic.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
New tables
1. Terminator 2
2. Tales From the Crypt
3. Eightball Deluxe
4. Seawitch

Re-releases
1. Victory
2. Tee'd Off
3. Ace High

However, there is supposed to be an official Gottlieb EM poll coming soon. Maybe replace Seawitch with the winner of that poll. And I believe we will see Fish Tales in early 2014.

Last edited:

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012

Have to seriously question the judgment of anyone at FS who thinks that BBB just because it is rare (and has the interesting story of the Illinois Pinball reproductions) is anywhere near as good, or important as Fish Tales. BBB is really cool to look at, but looks like not that much to actually play. Not saying it wouldn't be cool, or that I'm not in favor of it's inclusion, far from it, but over FT? No way.

Besides, I'd much rather see Kingpin and Pinball Magic if we ever actually get any Capcom tables. They really seem to have more to say from a play standpoint, plus one is even rarer (for novelty/preservation in TPA), and the other more common (making it much cheaper to acquire), while still being pretty rare for a pin (I think there are 1200 Pinball Magic copies).

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Bbb seems unrealistic. Capcom emulation has been discussed in other threads and it seems to be impossible to implement in the current platforms and that any attempts to even start development on it has yet to occur. At least that's the impression I get from the software engineers farsight has working on the game.

Fish tales would be a nice strong table for season 2, but I can't help but think it will be kept for season 3 along with high speed.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Fish tales would be a nice strong table for season 2, but I can't help but think it will be kept for season 3 along with high speed.

From that FS comment on facebook I think it's safe to assume Fish Tales won't be coming this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts