Who here plays MAME and other Emus?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Yea, I spent the better part of january to april setting up my emulatorbox and researching youtube for games lol. And then this thread made me revisit it for the last 2 weeks updatong and tinkering.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Jeff, thanks for taking the time to answer that scaling question for me. Most of the mame/multicade stuff I’ve seen were in 19” or 24” monitor size ranges. Was curious how it worked on a 42” or 55”. I assumed there was something to handle that issue or everything would look like an Atari 2600 game. I’m glad folks are working to keep those old classics alive.

Talking about your folks brought back some memories for me. I was 11 in 1980. So the 1980’s were right in my wheelhouse for spare time and arcades. It was amazing where you would find machines back then. They were everywhere. I remember many restaurants/businesses that added additions on to their building just for arcade games. I knew multiple places that had a wall of pins, a couple walls of arcade games, a pool table or two in the center and a great jukebox. You could feel the electricity and excitement when you walked in. I can still hear the laughter, cursing, and cheers from people playing.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Jeff and Kolchak , you guys always put a smile on my dial !!!:cool: how simple life was in our younger years .

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Right on, I’m right there with you. My mom told me a story about how she used to set my baby seat up on a pinball machine while her and my dad played stuff like Galaga and Dig Dug for the first time (I was born in Jan of ‘81), so we were always there as a family from even before I can remember. So much of my early life was defined by hanging out in the arcades. They were larger than life back then, right along with everything else in the 80’s. I spent every moment I could at the arcade. My local mall had a pretty rad one, and of course, as you know, the cool thing about the 80’s was that there were mini arcades at every grocery store, so I’d be sure to tag along with mom and beg for some quarters while she shopped.

Very cool 😎 you’re right though, there were machines in all sorts of strange places!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Jeff, thanks for taking the time to answer that scaling question for me. Most of the mame/multicade stuff I’ve seen were in 19” or 24” monitor size ranges. Was curious how it worked on a 42” or 55”. I assumed there was something to handle that issue or everything would look like an Atari 2600 game. I’m glad folks are working to keep those old classics alive.

Talking about your folks brought back some memories for me. I was 11 in 1980. So the 1980’s were right in my wheelhouse for spare time and arcades. It was amazing where you would find machines back then. They were everywhere. I remember many restaurants/businesses that added additions on to their building just for arcade games. I knew multiple places that had a wall of pins, a couple walls of arcade games, a pool table or two in the center and a great jukebox. You could feel the electricity and excitement when you walked in. I can still hear the laughter, cursing, and cheers from people playing.

Jeff and Kolchak , you guys always put a smile on my dial !!!:cool: how simple life was in our younger years .

Very cool �� you’re right though, there were machines in all sorts of strange places!

Right on, boys. It truly was a magical time. I’m thrilled that we have all this great emulation, not only to keep the nostalgia alive, but so many of the games hold up extremely well. Even into the 90’s, the arcades were always a notch or two better than what we had at home (unless you were lucky enough to have rich parents to buy you a Neo Geo hehe...my buddies and I always drooled over them in the magazines, but none of us were fortunate enough to have one).

I cut my teeth on the early 80’s stuff (Dig Dug and Joust are still in my top games of all time), and by the time the late 80’s rolled around, I was completely enthralled by stuff like Double Dragon and TMNT, so when SF2 came along, I was more than ready. The amount of buzz over that game in the arcades was indescribable...and of course Mortal Kombat, etc. It’s pretty incredible that I can still play those games after all these years and they continue to feel great...a true testament to incredible game and art design.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Right on, boys. It truly was a magical time. I’m thrilled that we have all this great emulation, not only to keep the nostalgia alive, but so many of the games hold up extremely well. Even into the 90’s, the arcades were always a notch or two better than what we had at home (unless you were lucky enough to have rich parents to buy you a Neo Geo hehe...my buddies and I always drooled over them in the magazines, but none of us were fortunate enough to have one).

I cut my teeth on the early 80’s stuff (Dig Dug and Joust are still in my top games of all time)

I’ve just started watching Stranger Things season 2 (late to the party as usual :eek: ) and the opening section leading to the arcade really captures it perfectly. These places really were magical, with games like Asteroids, Millipede, Galaga and yeah... Dig Dug :eek:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I’ve just started watching Stranger Things season 2 (late to the party as usual :eek: ) and the opening section leading to the arcade really captures it perfectly. These places really were magical, with games like Asteroids, Millipede, Galaga and yeah... Dig Dug :eek:

Better late than never, eh? It’s funny you mention that as my wife and I are re-watching it for the 2nd time and just watched that episode tonight. They did a great job of capturing the atmosphere and feel, all the way down to the scene where they’re scrounging quarters in advance heh.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Better late than never, eh? It’s funny you mention that as my wife and I are re-watching it for the 2nd time and just watched that episode tonight. They did a great job of capturing the atmosphere and feel, all the way down to the scene where they’re scrounging quarters in advance heh.

Exactly, you knew what was coming before they even got near the arcade! Brilliant :D

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
So this is pretty cool:

lklWtFS.jpg

It still has a way to go, but it feels incredible to finally be able to play a proper Skate game on PC.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
This also looks pretty great:

Would’ve made my life a lot easier a few weeks ago, heh. I might eventually make the switch to it if I get a wild hair up my arse.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
After beating River City Ransom (God that game is still so good), tonight I'm reminded how awesome the NES version of Double Dragon is. If this music doesn't get you going, I don't know what will:

The NES version also had a cool leveling system that the arcade version didn't have where your moves upgrade as you go, and it just feels so much smoother than it does in the arcade in general. The stages aren't as elaborate, but the graphics, while much different, are pretty gnarly in their own 8-bit way (much more of a River City Ransom vibe).

It goes without saying how huge this game was huge back in the late 80's. You can tell just by the sheer number of ports how insanely popular anything with the words Double Dragon on it was. We went absolutely bonkers for it.

Last edited:

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
Hell yeah! River City Ransom is my favorite NES game! Also my love of double dragon runs deep. Best theme song ever, and also featured in RCR when you fight the dragon brothers. I actually made a rom hack of mario 3 with Kunio-Kun(alex) as the playable character. Never 100% finished it, the frog suit and a couple more revert to normal graphics while worn. short vid of my hack:https://www.facebook.com/ThatPeteDude/videos/1047249455293250/

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Now that is badass! Also great to see another RCR fan. Do you happen to know if the new one on Steam is even worth touching? I’ve had it on my wishlist for years, but the reviews always left me on the fence.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Underground? It's decent. It's a better modern River City/Kunio-kun game than the ones that Million/Arc System Works make, so if you want to play a modern entry in the series, it's your best bet. It was also originally created specifically as an official direct sequel to RCR (as in, the Western version of the game), so it has that going for it for RCR fans.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
That new one is okay, it looks and feels good but to be honest I played it maybe 40 minutes when it first came out and sort of abandoned it. Just had allot of other things to play at the time and life stuff going on. meant to fire it back up but now i have a bunch of new stuff to play again. If you see it on sale grab it but i wouldnt call it as good as the original. The 2 3ds ones River City Rival Showdown and River City Tokyo Rumble held my attention allot better and seemed much closer to the original. Bought a cheap beat up 3ds on ebay just for those.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thank you, gentlemen. I’ve seen it drop to 50%, but that’s still 10 bucks so I’ll probably wait for it to hit 75% or so.

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
So I'm getting back into emulators after a few years hiatus now that I've dusted off my X-Arcade tankstick and just wondering who else is into them?

What front end do you guys use? I had MaLa set up years ago, but it was for a 4:3 monitor, so all my layouts look clunky on my TV.

Fiddling around with some others and kinda digging Attract Mode so far.

Seems like a lot has changed in 7 years or so. RetroPie and such seems to have really taken off.

Hey Jeff,
It's Brett. You need to clear out some messages before I can send you another PM. Thanks.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Just read about the latest Grand Theft Auto V update. They have added 12 retro arcade cabinets (think they are all original games done in a retro style), and you can buy an arcade to put them in.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.