It's All Your Fault FARSIGHT

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
So after playing this game for months and looking for real pins to play I volunteerd to the Pacific Pinball Expo where I helped set up hundreds of machines. I learned my way around a pinball machine enough to feel more comfortable buying one, by this time I had already told myself I wanted to buy a REAL PINBALL MACHINE and now my confidence was higher in atleast moving it and seting one up. I set my parameters for what i was looking for first how much did I wasnt to spend I decided $1000 max then did I want something working or a fixer upper? Well not knowing yet how to work on a machine I decided it had to work. Then with that in mind i started trolling craigslist every day and i passed on a couple that I should have snatched up they were a steal, Originally this machine I just bought was listed at $1300 and from the pictures looked really good but it was out of my pricing so I kept on looking. Friday night after a few suds I looked on craigs list again and there was the same machine now selling for $900 thats the price that machines get snatched up quickly I noticed as a few others at that price only were posted 3-5 days then gone, so i wasnt going to let this one slip away I called the seller and told her i wanted it but would give $875 because the reccent gas price spike they were cool with that and sent me the info where to get it. It was late so Id check my email in the morning and when I did i noticed the address was not where I thought it to be as the original craigslist posting said sacramento but the actual address was in placerville wich is about an hour past sacramento this is where it gets goofy...I had originally planned to rent a truck because my 4runner has a front cv joint issue turns out after looking at the price of the rental $19.95 not bad but $.69per mile over 300 miles uhhhhh NOPE! So i called another place $60 a day at first the guy said he didnt have a truck then he said "Oh wait one just pulled in" Sweeet! So I go there and it turns out the guy was stopping in to say hed keep it another day.....fuuuhhhhhh.....after mulling it around I decided F-it! The 4runner will make it or die trying after I messured the opening to the back I was nervous that it might not fit still determined I started my journey first to the BANK, then get gas and I was off! The 4runner ran like a champ all the way there where I met the seller examined the machine and concured $875 was fair, money exchanged hands and I began preping it for movement. I propped the backend up on a stand they had removed the back legs then lifted the rear on the tailgait of the 4runner slid it in with 2"inches to spare removed the from legs and it was in like FLYNN:) The drive home was a little scary as the CV joint problem reared its ugly head causing the front left wheel to shake and pull to the right suddenly then stop I pulled off and took a look and to my shock bearings had fallen out! I told myself theres nothing I can do except go on and this was in sacramento still 100+ miles from home. ran into traffic after sacramento so it was a non-issue at slow speed or high speed but inbetween OMG! Finally got home and unloaded the machine and found that the key I got only opend the backbox not the coin door, good thing my dads a locksmith:) i gotta get him to show how to pic locks. Got the coin door open wich is essential for removing the lockbar and glass. After thouroughly going over the machine i feel i mad a good buy even though pinsiders list this machine waay cheeper. This machine came from minnasota with the seller and even had a tag to confirm that. Inside a little dusty but to my supprise had every tag inspector sticker and all numbers mached. So without further blabbing I present you my first REAL PINBALL MACHINE a Williams 1987 BIG GUNS
IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
All the solenoids are strong it just needs a thorough cleaning new balls because the ones it came with are dull with a few pits the rubbers are dirty and a few are hard like the flippers have cracks no biggy, The mylar has a couple bubbles over a few lights. After propping it up and giving it a quick wipe down I tried to fire it up but it showed ADJUST FALIURE so i started reading the manual...reading...reading, nothing. Googeld and found the problem old batteries so i found and replaced them BLING! It worked!:) So now Im going to tear it down and start bringing this thing back to its original awsomeness as much as I can. Tomorrow i will have matching locks for the coin door and backbox and start stripping parts from the playfield and order new rubber kit and new balls.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Oh you know what now that I have the ADJUST FALIURE clear there are alot more lights on let me get some more pics for you guys.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Thank You FARSIGHT for reuniting me with an old friend digitally and making me seek out the REAL PINBALL, wich led up to the madness that is Pinball ownership:)

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Wow that looks great! Been wanting a machine for a while. We owned a Evel Knievel when I was growing up. Been dying to have one again. Wouldn't mind seeing that in TPA some day.

N

Nik Barbour

Awesome looking table - would love to do this myself. Good tip with the keys.
Going to play.expo next weekend, should be 50+ tables there.
"You are Invincible" - looks great!

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Congrats on your first pin. She looks a beauty and in great condition. :)

Loved the story of acquiring the game. Every pinball owner has a tale of the extreme lengths they went to for a particular game. It's all part of the experience!

You will learn absolutely loads maintaining a game like that and, as you've found, there's a huge satisfaction in getting something working a little better than it was before. That never goes away. New balls and new rubber will make a world of difference both in the way it plays and the way it looks. I always keep a stock of bulbs too, for both feature lamps and GI. Enjoy!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Something else to keep track of with first time ownership expenses...the tools and spare parts you wind up buying. Soldering iron, spare bulbs, all that extra stuff. Let us know that stuff too! Kinda like how when you buy a pet, you forget all the other start up costs that go along with it. You forget that real quick too, cause now you have it and if you get more, you already have the stuff. Anyways, good times.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Great story and very nice table Skillshot, how about you keep this thread upto date about whatever repairs you carry out?

Here's a vid off youtube;

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
Wow! This is killing me. TPA has reignited the collector inside of me. And with so many pinball tables showing up all over Craig's List, it's tempting to take the plunge, but unfortunately it's just not possible to be a pin owner in an upstairs apartment with limited space. Until then I enjoy peeking at prices, and window shopping till we can move into a house with tons of space. Till then I envy you Skill_shot. Great game, and at a decent price too!

To all of those who are shopping around, the rec.games.pinball Archive has some nifty CL and Ebay feeds that make browsing super convenient http://rgparchive.com/rgpforum/index.php

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Im putting in an order of parts tomorrow. I need a new plunger KNOB but it comes connected to the plunger, Im going to get stock black replacement although a RED one wouldn't look bad with the artwork. 2 new transparent red flipper buttons, the left one pressed in further than the right...after inspection it was slightly cracked, and completed upon removal...brittle. It was a clean break and fixed with super glue and adjusted the switches for smoother,effortless dual stage flippers:) New rubber kit, New supper CHROME balls and a sample LED pack since there are several types for the same bulb i.e. frosted,concave,120 degree surround in different colors. I get to toy around with combinations that will suit my liking, since Im not a fan on the lighting on some I might go only colord under colord lenses and keep the warm bulb glow instead of supper intense white LED. I learned alot over the last few day wiping it down familiarizing myself with it opening up the playfied I removed and cleaned the bulbs wich were sooty and I enterd in a custom mesage that scrolls twice accross all four screens... PLAY A REAL GAME PLAY PINBALL. Im planning on what I want to o, keep it stock or go crazy mods, I like the between and RESTO-MOD it:) maybe black legs instead of chrome the LED mix and better speakers. Ideas of getting flipper rebuild kits and extra solenoids for F-sakes its 25 yrs. old:)

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Never heard of this machine , but seeing your pics , I now want FarSight to digitise it for the Pinball Arcade .

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Its fun:)! Like I said qute a light show and I can turn the sound off and play with wireless PS3 srereo headset listening to pandora 80's ROCK. I tried other music styles DUB ,Tech,DRUM but this game likes 80's hair bands def,crew,AC/DC,CARS or is it me? I know the artist and devs listend to THE GOOD STUFF!
Thanks guys:) Let me know if you want pics of anything! Im eager to show off my toy. I've shown SYT on my PS3 EYETOY, plugged in next to it, SYT you want to see the guts and inner workings?....Im telling you if you hav DIY skills Pinball machines arnt scary until electrics, but I have basic circuitry understandings and a manual with diagrams aaand the internet or just buy new stuff.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yep, Skill_Shot was playing the game and letting his EyeToy show me everything. Only problem was, EyeToy was transmitting at like 12 frames a second! Still, fun to share the experience, albeit remotely, of owning a table for the first time.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.