Details on PC Cabinet support for TPA

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I have not been sitting on this for 2 months. The interview was sent all at once, but the responses were sent to us in 2 parts. I received the 2nd half of the interview 2 days before we recorded the podcast. There has been times in the past where we were asked to not release a podcast until a certain day to coincide with FarSight releasing info into the wild on the same day, but this was not one of them. If I had really been holding onto the info for the purpose of getting listeners, you'd have seen me teasing the hell out of it in this very thread. However, I'm not a dick.

Thank you for clarifying SYT.
You know, when I heard the news, my initial thought was:
Oh man, why didn't you tell us earlier if the interview is that old.
Guess, I overreacted due to my disappointment of this news (and the apparent Farsight - Stern deal. You know, I want Zen to do it)

Yeah syt conspiracy theories are way off.

"syt conspiracy theories" ;)
Yes, I was a little mad at him. So What? Happens in every "relation".
There is no "bad blood" and never was.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Well this sucks!!, yet again FS management promises something that will be really great for the community and create a real buzz and then decided to do a 180, slow clap to FS.

I guess yet again the community will have to come up with a program to get dmd and backglass on the 2nd and 3rd displays as it's clear that FS doesn't give a ****

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It just really stings since they initially made it seem like it was something they were excited about doing (they posted pics of their cab in action, etc.).

Why can't they just dedicate a couple weeks to it and get it done? It's **** like this that really burns my britches when it comes to Farsight...

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
As I understand it's not the technical realisation that brought this to a halt.
They were to greedy / focused on finding a business case by developing this to make their own series of coin operated cabs.
Instead of just making a bunch of guys living in their basement a little bit happier.

Last edited:

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
They have been dangling the cab carrot for 3 years now, so they are kind taking the pis# in a big way. I have read a fair bit of negativity about this in other forums already, so it will do them harm as the die hard fans are the ones who spread the word about the product and are in many ways responsible for the products success today.. Someone mentioned in another forum that the owner is a politician. Does he break his political pledges like he does his business ones? Voters and customers are most like treated the same. ie: fools you can say anything to, to get support.

No more purchases on Android or PC for me.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
As I understand it's not the technical realisation that brought this to a halt.
They were to greedy / focused on finding a business case by developing this to make their own series of coin operated cabs.
Instead of just making a bunch of guys living in their basement a little bit happier.

Either way, it boils down to sloppy management, so hey what's new?

karl

May 10, 2012
Really disappointing news, but not that surprised to be honest. It's been quiet on the cabinet part for such a long time after the small positive tidbits from Mike more than a year ago, when we heard he was working on it in between everything else. Dead quiet for more than a year. I have just decided to not get myself down, and therefor have stayed away from this thread to not be reminded of the whole cab tristesse.

I can handle bad news like this (getting used to it with Farsight) but it would be nice if they could tell us stuff like this themselves, instead of us having to drag the info out from them.

For all we know, there could be lots of hurdles with one or more of the license parties regarding cab that makes it not worth it for them to make this a priority. But it's really hard to not put everything on Farsight's shoulders when they handle the situation like this.

I still have fun playing the game, so I see no reason to stop enjoying it and start boycotting them because of this. If so, I would have stopped playing it a long time ago. New UI, anyone? ;)

At least they are doing stuff with the physics engine. That's the most important thing to me. I haven't even looked up the hack to make tpa work on cabs yet because I was waiting for the real thing, but I will have to bite the bullet and check it out now.

Anyone have a link they could send me?

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
id assume a custom mod like noex, i wouldnt pay cash just yet. the community is pretty resourceful after all

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
id assume a custom mod like noex, i wouldnt pay cash just yet. the community is pretty resourceful after all

I think you are right that it is a custom mod. In the first video at the 32sec mark it looks like the DMD screen is displaying the DMD and the playfield isn't showing the DMD. That means they are not just mirroring the DMD but somehow displaying it in a different position. Like you say the community might manage something ;)

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I think that solution needs you to lose the top part of the monitor so you don't see the DMD on the PF, but as their cab works with PX2 and VP that would be a pain, but you could be right and they might well be doing that. Their video shows TPA for 3 seconds so it is a bugger to workout :p.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
ya i watched that video before. It looks like they're using some display mirror program since the dmd clip you can see the rest of the cab from the standard view around it.
If not they've found a utility to stretch their game window over two displays (didn't ati video cards use to allow that?)which would be even better honestly since you could size the window just the way you want

wonder if its just using nvidia surround or ati eyefinity

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
sigh sometimes the obvious answer is the one overlooked.
So ya i got it figured out we can jerry rig something together and get this done running the game in a window..its not exclusive full screen so it lets you split the display over many screens(in dx11 at least).
that probably why pin bulbs has the back glass monitor turned sideways as well.

heres screen caps so everyone can try just set your dual monitor up like that run in a window with a resolution that is 16:7 ish stretch the screen and move it around so it overlaps the second monitor..
sigh I don't know why i didn't try this sooner.
Gonna test with Noex camera mod see how good I can get this working

edit: this is running on windows 10 64bit GTX 570 video card both monitors dvi off same video
vgBV1ml.jpg

Last edited:

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Nice to see all the cab owners blowing this thread up. Nothing wrong with making a little noise about to get FS attention. Lots of passion for TPA here. Don't leave us hanging, Mike! :p

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts