Pinball Arcade Portrait Mode Camera 4 issues.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
I’ve only just purchased season 2 and 3 so I’ll start this with season 1 and add the other seasons when I get a chance.

I’ve been playing exclusively in portrait mode for a bit now and I love it.. my monitor rotates on its pedestal and will lean back about 10degree angle.. I find that camera 4 gives me the best sense of perspective in that setup. It might not be the best cabinet mode.. but for a vertical monitor its awesome.

I’ve read a lot of threads about camera views and there’s a lot of good requests out there(I’d love to set my own as well)but for me the biggest issue is that a bunch of tables are unplayable in view 4 with the current settings and I’d love to see them adjusted so I could leave my settings in one mode.

I appreciate that the camera angles might have been tweaked to present the best view per table.. but the real issue is how zoomed in they are. I’ve broken the season 1 tables into 3 groups Good Ok and Bad.
The good tables are the zoomed into what I would consider the optimal amount.. I can see the complete inner lanes and abit of the outer lanes, tho they might be clipped abit it doesn't really affect gameplay.
The good tables are Alien Attack, Arabian Nights ,Funhouse, Medieval Madness, No good Golfers, Ripley’s Believe it or Not and Theater of Magic.
Heres screenshots in Portrait(1080x1920) camera 4

HDXtkeR.jpg
mgHbiTZ.jpg
p7IByz2.jpg
kxW3GhB.jpg
8iN5n49.jpg
tpOERb1.jpg
tuoM3Q1.jpg
VF9dST3.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
The next ones I’d say are Ok but I really feel they need to be zoomed out a bit ..you can see most of the inner lanes but the outer are pretty much completely obscured.

ZOEEOk3.jpg
L4evggy.jpg
dBGb38B.jpg
49fmxcE.jpg
HuT0vmz.jpg
uY6vzQ5.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
And lastly the Bad ones are basically unplayable since the majority of the inner lanes are blocked and with a fast ball you can’t track its movement to hit the ball at all.

27xe7Df.jpg
HVqPss5.jpg
nMqj9UM.jpg
liujO39.jpg
c1uhtDJ.jpg
f0o1E9I.jpg
oTD741A.jpg
nbO2g8O.jpg

If we could get those camera modes simply pulled back abit,(zoomed out) to match the ones in The Good section it would help this camera modes playability immensely.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Great list. This has been reported several times, but not in such a comprehensive way.
Most people use view 2 or 3 for portrait I guess.
It's nice that fs makes those suggestions for us, but as it is personal preference, a full custom camera control would be the best.
It's a full 3d table for a reason, right? To limit it to certain (bad) angles is just a waste imo.
At the very least they shuold make one fixed view where you see the entire table, no matter if this hides some detail or not.

Last edited:

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Great list. This has been reported several times, but not in such a comprehensive way.
Most people use view 2 or 3 for portrait I guess.
It's nice that fs makes those suggestions for us, but as it is personal preference, a full custom camera control would be the best.
It's a full 3d table for a reason, right? To limit it to certain (bad) angles is just a waste imo.
At the very least they shuold make one fixed view where you see the entire table, no matter if this hides some detail or not.

There is a view that lets you see the entire table in portrait. I forget which one but I use it on every table I play. It's the (almost) top down view. I should note though that I use 10:16 aspect ratio. 9:16 might not work the same way, unsure.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
There definitely is no such view, but it could indeed be related to the aspect ratio. I have 16:9 and it's a variety of more or less good views like Robert posted above.
BSD is actually bad because top of playfield is obscured by dmd, like cftbl and mb.

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
thx! I appreciate it :) I was hoping pictures would make it easier to clarify what i was trying too describe, and that others were of the same mind.
I'll try and update with season 2 tonight or tomorrow

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Season 2 Tables

I went thru all the season 2 tables and have broke them up same as above.

GOOD for tables that I don’t think need any adjustments to the view.

OK which are playable but could use a little zooming out so the outside lanes are at least half exposed.

And BAD which are unplayable due to inside lanes visibility being blocked or in the case of Cue ball and Eldorado I think must be a mistake somehow since they are set at ridiculously bad zoom level.
This season suffers from the majority of the tables not being playable in Portrait camera 4 unfortunately.

Here are the Good Tables.

VuFn36P.jpg
c0PEWty.jpg
0cpooHK.jpg

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Here are what I consider ok..but really would like to see them zoomed out a bit so the outside lanes are more viewable.

wQuX4bD.jpg
UG2MbEV.jpg
W58W9Rg.jpg
Gy2gVXl.jpg
oMYcP1b.jpg

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Bads Continued...

DESzbxW.jpg
iVuOjB2.jpg
aLSKJym.jpg
XcuXlIN.jpg
MaMTim8.jpg

Well there we go..any in the Ok category anyone think should be in the Good or alternately in the Bad? couple are borderline to me

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Season 3 Tables

I wanted to get this done asap just for completions sake

Same as above Good OK and Bad..overall majority of tables in season 3 fall in the OK and theres only one bad table from what I can see
Heres the good ones.

ashY5QA.jpg
rAiyH2l.jpg
PjEqNMQ.jpg
E0wpNfH.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
and finally Heres the solo Bad one from Season 3
M7SOllC.jpg

as always if any seem like they're in the wrong section post away I'm open to moving them if I've mislabeled any

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
was just playing some pinball,and decided to give BSD another go..low and behold they made an adjustment to portrait camera 4!!!!
IT is so much better now. The DMD isn't blocking the back of the table and you can see the outlane on the right side.

Heres a before and after shot. Gonna have to check out some other tables and see if there's any other surprises in there for us.

KeOeVHz.jpg

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
In the Cab thread, Mike said he found a cabinet perspective that works for all tables. Given the Twitch feed indicating they are thinking about putting these in arcades, I would imagine the new mode will look pretty good. I would doubt it has a user set camera perspective.

Also...Great job putting these together. It pretty much agrees with what I see when I rotate my monitor. Some can be made a little better by switching to the 4th setting. Odd that they are so inconsistent though..

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
for cabinet mode I suspect its camera 3 is the closest so far that will work the best.
The issue for me is that in cabinet mode the monitor is laying pretty much flat so it makes sense to use that perspective your standing at one end of the screen(i think most cabinet guys are using a 42' tv) and your field of view is on an angle across the screen..

Where as on a desk top with a monitor turned sideways your still looking directly at the screen(with a slight tilt) so camera 4 with its slopping perspective looks better to me for the feeling that there is depth to the table and distance into the monitor.

I'd love a user definable camera..but if they could just tweak the ones that are zoomed into far, I think that would be all I need.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Season 4

Since Season 4 has started I'll follow the previous mode of three posts each one focusing on Good ,OK and Bad.

POTO thankfully falls into the Good category the right outlane light is slightly visible and the top of the lane divider is clearly visible for attempting nudge saves

edit: Starship Troopers's pretty much exactly where I'd want it.. No missing artwork or toys on the back of the play field and you can see enough of the out lanes to work with and no wasted space below the flippers. Great Job!

edit: The Addams Family is another fantastic one.Great work!

edit: Cyclone is perfect. Really pleased how well this seasons view 4 has been coming together.

Good Tables.

x4Qv7Rw.jpg
kG8tl86.jpg
FLiVS5q.jpg
ryF12IS.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.