algorythmic level of difficulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Going back? Cool, take some more pics for us to decode. :)

Ha! I should blur the pics as before, and then put them into some puzzle program and make you guys solve the puzzle first before trying to figure out the blur! All I know is, you people are too damn good at figuring things out.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Squid,
my posting was not intended to blame the machine, nobody's perfect, and i am FAR from it, the soul purpose was to get an acurate response from someone who actually programs these great games, some people replied with comments saying that TPA has nothing to gain by such programming, i beg to differ, i think it's every tables goal to be competitive. such an example of non competitive machine that ultimately becomes undesirable to play can be found on williams pinball collection hall of fame(ps3 disc version)of black knight, once you discover that catching the ballout of the ejector hole with the upper most flipper(the elevated playfield) is the key to almost unlimited scoring, this table becomes insignificant. however, the new version of black knight on TPA does NOT allow this to happen with consistancy.

This I agree on, when you repeatedly shoot the ball back into some kickouts, eventually the kickout trajectory suddenly changes. I wouldn't be surprised if there are several programmings preventing various point milking glitches, but that is an entirely different question as this has no relation to what your current score is.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
This I agree on, when you repeatedly shoot the ball back into some kickouts, eventually the kickout trajectory suddenly changes. I wouldn't be surprised if there are several programmings preventing various point milking glitches, but that is an entirely different question as this has no relation to what your current score is.

I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that kickouts in the game are never actually randomized in any way, as I noted earlier in the thread. From what I've seen it's always a function of how the ball enters the scoop or similar playfield feature. An example would be of doing 10 clean hits into a scoop the same way, and it returns normally. On the eleventh shot the ball grazes the side of the scoop slightly on the way in, which will also change the kickout trajectory. It is somewhat possible this is not the same on all tables or features, but I can confirm it on the ones I've played a significant amount that use kickouts heavily (Gorgar, Funhouse). There are also some kickouts where as far as I can tell the kickout is always 100% identical in every single case or so close I can't tell the difference (Monster Bash).

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
As promised, I asked the guys at FarSight directly if there was any kind of algorithmic difficulty added. They laughed.

You know how people swear there are magnets on tables that don't have magnets? Same thing. It's in your head. FarSight has done nothing of the sort in programming different behavior into the game as your score grows.

Stick a fork in this one, Sean.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
As promised, I asked the guys at FarSight directly if there was any kind of algorithmic difficulty added. They laughed.

You know how people swear there are magnets on tables that don't have magnets? Same thing. It's in your head. FarSight has done nothing of the sort in programming different behavior into the game as your score grows.

Stick a fork in this one, Sean.

Yep, I heard it with my own ears, too.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts