Game of Thrones - 14 big pics

invitro

May 4, 2012
I was shocked to read that Game of Thrones was coming out so soon after KISS. I suppose I was mistaken and thought KISS came out in July, but anyway... Stern will be producing four new tables in 2015: Wrestlemania, Big Juicy Melons, KISS, and Game of Thrones (apparently in October).

This is the first time since 1997 they've made as many. Sega in 1997 produced Star Wars Trilogy, Lost World Jurassic Park, X Files, and Starship Troopers. Since then, they've made 2 or 3 per year.

(Maybe Big Juicy Melons should be discounted? I'd like to know if the number of machines produced in 2015 is higher than in previous years. Any hint of a resurgence of pinball would be most welcome.)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I've already *****ed about this on Pinside and FB so I'll keep it brief. Barring some amazing programing and light show, this looks like...poop. So much incredible artwork out there dedicated to this story and THIS is what we get? It may play better than Hobbit BUT JJP's game will always look better. Time (a short time) will tell.

It really is a visual dud. The backglass is so boring.

I don't watch GoT but based on reputation I expected the theme to be a bit darker. How do fans of the show feel about this. Or is my impression of the show way off here?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I don't watch GoT but based on reputation I expected the theme to be a bit darker. How do fans of the show feel about this. Or is my impression of the show way off here?

Nope. It's definitely a dark dirty dreary show, with dread always around the corner. It's a world in which I probably would not live past 20.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Wow. Just, wow. This looks like a giant whiff to me. The pro version just looks like it is missing stuff, especially the upper left corner. The lame pic of the white walker on the back panel, there's just no context with the game. Then you look at the LE version, and it totally doesn't look like the same game. Problem is, the whole Kings Landing castle (?) looks so clunky. Or is that supposed to be where Danerys is? When you compare this to other older fantasy themed pins, this just looks so generic. What a shame. Shouldn't try and squeeze all 8000 pages of books, 5 seasons of TV, into one pin.

I know some people are complaining about the gear art on the table. Honestly, they would have been better off embracing that look in totality as the opening credits give the nice broad sweep of the entire story in such a small package. This instead looks like design by committee.

invitro

May 4, 2012
When you compare this to other older fantasy themed pins, this just looks so generic.
Sure, but couldn't you say that for every Stern (and Sega) table compared to older tables?

Is anyone familiar enough with Stern tables to compare the quality of art on GoT with the others?

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
It really is a visual dud. The backglass is so boring.

I've read the current five books and seen all the episodes but do NOT consider myself a HARDCORE fan. I can pick apart most of the differences between the two though. The books are very...miserable for the "good" guys and, maybe, that's what makes them entertaining. The show continued that feeling, for the most part. That's why if just baffles me that this is what HBO dictated to Stern to release. I mean, come on, Stern knows by now what "art" is and this is just sh!t. It's obvious that this was HBO running the show and telling them what to do. I don't even have to go much beyond the LE's back glass. Spoilers...sorry...the dude dies in the first season and book and the other lady is Dany's (the center lady) assistant and a side character at best. Mini playfield? Are you f*cking kidding me? Lawlor did it ten years ago with various success.

My message to Stern. "It's all been done before. What you have to do is make it better. Use technology. Hence AC/DC. Art was crap. Programming and kick a$$ music from a timeless band made that game. Ritchie's well done layout helped too. Metallica? Art, art, art, art! I can't stress this enough. The game LOOKS freaking awesome! Borg laid out a great design and Sheats delivered on the code to complete the package. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO MAKE GAME OF THRONES AWESOME? The theme song is cool but...it ain't no classic 80's rock band that I could listen to over and over. The layout doesn't look all that amazing either. That mini playfield can go suck a you know what. Oh....and it's only on the LE too???? Freak that! And like I said before, the art just sucks. Art? What art? Look at Paragon. That's art. Screw your renderings of secondary characters for the light box side art. In conclusion, it's ALLLLLLL been done before. Your job is to use technology to take me somewhere new and/or exciting. This is neither. Now give me the Beatles!"

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Ugly.
Is the backglass a display that changes?
Otherwise I would detach it and mount it under the table.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Hmm...

game-of-thrones-pinball-playfield.jpg

Zen-Pinball-Excalibur-1.jpg

Just me?

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I found the remark by Cpt Bizarre interesting: he thought Stern may have used the possibly already-in-place table plans for a Medieval Madness 2. Hence the graphic style and layout(ish)?

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Man, Excalibur and the Premium model sure look eerily similar, there's even a battering ram in there. Looks like the Zen/Stern partnership is in full effect already.

Last edited:

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
WTF does a battering ram have to do with GOT Tv show???

We need:

- Walk of shame multi-ball
- pleasure house multi-ball (hidden bonus feature!)
- white-walker hoard multi-ball
- Tyrion drinking game multi-ball
- find the traitor feature

Basically, a billion creative possibilities...but we got this. :/

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
why do i always have to be the crude one!

game of thrones is overrated, its only real standouts are the midget and the hound and aria stark

as far as battering rams you get a lifetimes worth in the first episode alone

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Sure, but couldn't you say that for every Stern (and Sega) table compared to older tables?

Is anyone familiar enough with Stern tables to compare the quality of art on GoT with the others?

I'm not familiar at all with modern tables (nor with older tables btw), but I can say that I would be able to create these ugly backglass and cab artworks in... let's say 1mn.

Deep-etch GOT characters faces, add an ugly external lighting filter to hide the poor deep-etching, paste on a background from the show.

Done.

Compared to a two-years-old table:

Alda-flipper-Star-Trek-STERN.jpg

Even unofficial GOT stuff is way much better:

fa6ca11e4b15c6702c5717235098b0cf.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts