Head 2 Head Alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Hey guys,

So part of the reason I have not been on the forums much recently (In addition to the Challenge mode you guys already have) I have been tasked working on a cross platform head to head functionality for our engine. It will be a client server system that will utilize our database and server to match people together in order to play a head to head game. Once a game is created UDP packets will be sent from client to client. Just to keep expectations in line, for this round the matchmaking system will be very simple and until we get a new UI together there will not be a lobby or friend invite, it will be a simple queue and create system for the Alpha and Beta. Later I will add functionality so that you can enter an email if you want to play against a particular person, in fact that functionality will probably go in before the ui to test it out. I have a few bugs to iron out and some UI work, but we are close and just wanted to give you guys a heads up so that you can coordinate a time that you can all test this together. I have not been able to test any more than two people in the queue so it will be interesting to see how the system works with more people. I am going to create a screen that will log states and information to help with debugging purposes so that I can track down a particular bug using your info, server logs, and database entries. So all that being said stay tuned and I will post an apk here as soon as I iron out the rest of the most pressing issues!

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Very exciting news! Can't wait to help test this out.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Count me in! I'm working the night shift all week so this would be a perfect way to help me stay awake :)

Pinetwig

Dec 23, 2013
I have lots of free time this week. Too bad the betas usually gets posted in the middle of the night over here.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Also to keep expectations in line you are not going to see the other person playing, that would be too much bandwidth and issues come up so we are only displaying the score, user name, and ball number.

N

netizen

PLEASE PUT IN VOICECHAT! :)

Sounds like a great idea, I'm sure it would bring more attention to the game

I can't speak for how this will definitively affect app performance, but I suspect it's not even on the drawing board for mobile due to bandwidt constraints and the possible added clock cycles that could impact performance.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
yeah voicechat? no thank you lol

100% with you there. If voice chat is implemented I have to practice up on my whiny 12 year old voice.

Please 3 ball limit games :D

Yes. Tournament settings should be enforced for head to head games to keep them short. No random awards, no extra balls, specials award points. Etc. Or make them timed. But would prefer tourney settings myself

N

netizen

Timed at minimum, but it would be a good time to try out PAPA style tournament settings, it being an Alpha and all. If there was ever a time to break things ... :rolleyes:

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
The way it is coded right now is the first to hit a preset score that id displayed on the screen next to your opponent's score. The tournament settings thing was visited once but it would require a lot of time to create, test, and roll out every new rom image that we would need. We tried it when we first did tournaments and it broke half of the tables. I'll pass this along but it is not trivial.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm in the Attack from Mars queue if anyone wants to do a quick test.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
oops sorry forgot to mention that thanks Pinwiz =) its only attack from mars now because the test pool of people will be so small

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts