iOS 3.3.1 Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Device/OS: iPad mini (1st gen), iOS 7.0.6

Bug Description: Stuttering/performance issues on Black Knight 2000 and Whirlwind (especially) under TPA v3.3.1. Did NOT test any other tables.

Steps To Reproduce: install TPA v3.3.1, run the game.

Frequency: Always

Additional Comments: Reverting back to the previous TPA v3.3.0 resolves the stuttering/performance issue introduced with v3.3.1.

Jazza

Aug 19, 2012
Another with the Ipad 2 stutters. While it makes for quite a challenge knowing they're going to happen, it can get quite annoying especially the inlane speed ups for a drain.

Happening on all tables. #EDIT# NOT happening on MM. Hmmm..

Thanks Stuart!

Last edited:

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
All these issues are inevitable in apple devices. They're not dedicated gaming machines. The whole operating system 'shares' memory and other related tasks for other parts of the phone/pad. Blame Apple for restricting the RAM. Because the rule is to share ram for running the system in general.

App devs can tweak and refine the game as much as they want, but once Apple pushes a new version of iOS to users... The whole system/game will once again break. Leaving more bugs to fix e.t.c.

It's a never ending battle.

Last edited:

night

May 18, 2012
All these issues are inevitable in apple devices. They're not dedicated gaming machines. The whole operating system 'shares' memory and other related tasks for other parts of the phone/pad. Blame Apple for restricting the RAM. Because the rule is to share ram for running the system in general.

App devs can tweak and refine the game as much as they want, but once Apple pushes a new version of iOS to users... The whole system/game will once again break. Leaving more bugs to fix e.t.c.

Apple did not do a thing, the update came from FarSight, not from Apple..

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012

Huh. Apple must have screwed up because everything is working fine on my iPad Air.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Huh. Apple must have screwed up because everything is working fine on my iPad Air.

The iPad Air also has a gig of RAM as opposed to the 512mb on the original iPad Mini and the iPad 2. My Mini Retina also displays no stuttering but it, too, has a full gig of RAM. Though I am an Apple supporter, I have always felt they provide the minimum amount of RAM in their mobile devices. Nonetheless, I have no explanation as to why my iPhone 4s runs TPA just fine with similar specs as the iPad 2 and Mini.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012

IMHO iOS 7 just doesn't work well on older hardware. The reason why I downgraded my ipad3 to iOS 6, TPA runs like butter.

night

May 18, 2012
IMHO iOS 7 just doesn't work well on older hardware. The reason why I downgraded my ipad3 to iOS 6, TPA runs like butter.

I am always updating a system, for security reasons. The first wave of stuttering issues started with the iOS6 update btw, with the result that many tables where affected with frame-rate/stuttering and with no comment or reply or fix from FarSight. These issues where 'almost' solved during time, but it took a looooong long time and Black Hole is still a nightmare to play. But this last update came from FarSight, not Apple, and the tables are now almost unplayable at this very moment, so I am a bit worried. I am glad Stuart will look into it, we have to give it some time. As for now, TPA is completely broken on the iPad2.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Same here, table stuttering on the ipad2, the ball moves way slow and then teleports to a different spot...

It's the reason why I stopped buying the tables when season 3 started and switched to the PS4 version.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
The current ios reminds me of ios 5. That OS made a lot of changes and caused a lot of issues for "older" devices, usually due to the lack of RAM. 256 mb just wasn't good enough. Ios 6 was a huge refinement of ios 5 and ironed out many of the issues. But, frustrated customers were upgrading their Apple devices to one's with 512 or a full gig of RAM. And all was fairly happy for a year or so. Now, Apple has released another OS that has changed a lot and not always for the better. IMO, it's not as visually appealing as ios 6. I know they were trying to go for something stark and futuristic, like Minority Report, Oblivion or some other sci-fi movie but it ended up looking cheap. Where the f*ck is my bookshelf in ibooks!? What! We don't have wooden bookshelves in the future!?

Anyway, the point is that Apple has pushed a new power hungry OS on us and, while 512 mb of RAM will get you by with its basic operation, it's harder for third party developers to keep their games running smoothly with those limits. Here's to hoping ios 8 smooths the current OS out like 6 did with 5. Or...stop being so freaking cheap with the memory, Apple!

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
How did you downgrade your iOS7 iPad 3 to iOS6? I didn't think it was possible without a hardware exploit.

PS. Yes, still having the problem where I can't resume a game in TPA. If it wasn't caught before, this means I can't enable Facebook integration, because after it switches out to authorise FB, when it switches back it starts from the beginning again. Frustrating!

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
Another bug which occurs all the time, I play T2 in portrait mode, when I try to switch it to landscape by rotating the iPhone mid-game... It doesn't and stays in portrait. Only changes if I pause the game, before in the last version I could switch between the two orientations fine without pausing first.

iPhone 5s - 7.0.6

* checked to see if other tables where affected, and they are.

Last edited:

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
Another bug which occurs all the time, I play T2 in portrait mode, when I try to switch it to landscape by rotating the iPhone mid-game... It doesn't and stays in portrait. Only changes if I pause the game, before in the last version I could switch between the two orientations fine without pausing first.

iPhone 5s - 7.0.6

* checked to see if other tables where affected, and they are.

that's odd - I was under the impression that table orientation did NOT change during gameplay by design. coulda sworn that was always the case.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012

I could buy this explanation if it were an Apple update that caused us all to suddenly have this issue, but it wasn't. it was a FarSight update that introduced the problem.

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
I could buy this explanation if it were an Apple update that caused us all to suddenly have this issue, but it wasn't. it was a FarSight update that introduced the problem.

If it is a FS related issue, then they're clearly not doing their jobs properly (rushing updates/fixes) I'd like to see if these bugs are only on 7.0.6 and not 7.0.4, that way we can determine it is an apple iOS bug on x.6

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
that's odd - I was under the impression that table orientation did NOT change during gameplay by design. coulda sworn that was always the case.

Nope, i remember clearly i could seamlessly switch between the two angles mid-game. I prefer that, I also checked to see if my landscape orientation was locked in the control center panel.

Last edited:

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Pretty sure (as in I'm looking at the code that does it and the version history of it dating back 12+ months) that the orientation of the device is locked by us while the table is in play. It wasn't until September/October last year that we added the ability to change orientation while in the pause menu.

night

May 18, 2012
Since the last update disaster on the iPad2, there are other weird things going on besides stuttering, like I now have octagon-shaped chrome rings on BoPB instead of round ones!

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012
Pretty sure (as in I'm looking at the code that does it and the version history of it dating back 12+ months) that the orientation of the device is locked by us while the table is in play. It wasn't until September/October last year that we added the ability to change orientation while in the pause menu.

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts