Is there an commonly accepted name for this maneuver?

OmegaDef

Jan 30, 2014
Through the years I came up with my own names for pinball moves because I honestly didn't know there were common terms. It wasn't until I found you guys that I learned I was not alone. To my surprise, some of the terms I came up with were the same ones the community used as well.

Then there's this one. I haven't seen anyone refer to what they call this move. I've called it a "tip stall" or "perfect stall", but is there a common name for it? I've done it before, but this is the only time I grabbed my phone and took a photo in time. They usually only last 30-45 seconds before they lose balance.

By the way, I took this photo on a Grand Champion run. Say what you will about Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball. I don't really care much for the license, but once I got really deep into learning it, it became one of my favorites.

Bugs_zpsb36776bf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OmegaDef

Jan 30, 2014
I'm usually reaching in my pocket for my camera with my free hand. It almost always rolls back down to a cradle before I get it. This time I got the photo and before I could get a second less blurry photo it rolled back down. I have sat there puzzled about what do next, actually. Now that I have that photo out of my system, I'll experiment with it more. I think the safest bet is a nudge that sends it to a cradle, but whacking it wildly sounds more fun though.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Funny I actually had this happen to me in black rose just today at work. Wasn't no 30 seconds or anything but it was still pretty cool

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
That looks pretty cool, I'd love to see a tournament player catch the ball like that when they were going to time out a mode like on Star Trek.

Check your flipper rubbers for wear at the tip though. You'll see it on location games a lot where the tip of the flipper rubbers gets worn to the point where there's a little divot notched out at the tip. Its worth a couple bucks to replace the flipper rubber if its worn like that because the divots will throw off your wide angle shots.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I've almost had it a few times where it stalls at the tip (but never fully stops). I think one time it did come back but usually the momentum pushes it over da tip and into da drain.

OmegaDef

Jan 30, 2014
Check your flipper rubbers for wear at the tip though. You'll see it on location games a lot where the tip of the flipper rubbers gets worn to the point where there's a little divot notched out at the tip. Its worth a couple bucks to replace the flipper rubber if its worn like that because the divots will throw off your wide angle shots.

I wish I was the owner. It's pretty well cared for. I couldn't see any noticeable divot or flat spot through the glass. This game is on location though, so you are probably right. Actually, every machine I've ever seen this done on was in the wild. I got a brief tip stall on a Street Fighter II machine last night as well.

Funny I actually had this happen to me in black rose just today at work. Wasn't no 30 seconds or anything but it was still pretty cool

After leaving the arcade, my friend and I were discussing the tip stall. He said he did a brief one on Black Rose while we were there. I laughed at the coincidence. He had no idea that happened to you yesterday too.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Bowen Kerins did something very similar (possibly the same) at PAPA last year while playing Batman Forever (or whatever the latest one is). Lemme see if I can find it...

Fake edit: Found it!

OmegaDef

Jan 30, 2014

That was fantastic!!! I had to watch it over and over. That move defies logic and seemingly physics as well. I just slowly let the ball roll up the flipper and hope that it balances on the tip before dropping down the middle. But THAT, THAT was PURE MAGIC! Thank you for sharing it.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
It's beautiful, isn't it? I never watched it live but I watched the whole PAPA 16 stream from start to finish (I think around 10 hours worth?). Bowen is such a master, we're honestly blessed to have someone like him doing the tutorial videos on PAPA's website.

I can watch that move over and over and never get sick of it! I GIFed it for an official PAPA thread I created on another forum, I'll have to find it.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
The one that link is anchored at. Perhaps it doesn't automatically go to the bookmarked time if you watch it on mobile or something.

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
At what time in the vid does that move show up?

The linked video is bookmarked to start at 1:00:36 ...

Watched it 2-3 times, I don't see a hanging tip stall as much as I see a really quick tip-dead-catch, but I'm old, half-blind, and have no idea what I'm talking about ...

:cool:

Hope that helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts