New High Resolution PS4 screenshots (place here!)

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I'm not sure I understand why people think that old textures are being used when there's a much higher level of detail in the PS4 pictures. Unless I don't understand what is meant by textures.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
I'm not sure I understand why people think that old textures are being used when there's a much higher level of detail in the PS4 pictures. Unless I don't understand what is meant by textures.

They mean that FS seem to be using the same playfield scans used on the 360/PC/PS3 versions, rather than using new, hi-res scans.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Funhouse appears to have some visible "tiling" issues like the Vita version does. Look between the "u" and "s" on the word "Funhouse" and you can see a clearly visible line.

Also, the textures don't really look all that impressive given the specs of the console.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

Textures, as in, the same table graphic scans are being textured over on the PS4 version, or at least that's how it appears from the above pics.

I also believe the table graphic scans from WPHOF were reused in the TPA remakes. I can't really blame them for that since they were now jumping up to a next gen platform from one game to the next, but now THEY ARE.

I didn't see this until just now and it's a little disheartening. I really think we are going to end up with "PS3.5" quality here. PS3 tables with new lighting. Pretty much what we were all asking for on the PS3.

From the System 3 Software Facebook page on launch titles:
Pinball Arcade is the most authentic pinball experience ever created, reverse engineered for perfection. On PlayStation 4, Pinball Arcade features 22 of the greatest tables ever made, including Star Trek, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Monster Bash, Medieval Madness, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Theatre of Magic and many more. Pinball Arcade is the essential companion for pinball fans.

22 tables were already completed... Perhaps months ago. There is no way they could have fixed everything and rescanned the older tables at a higher resolution.

EDIT...
Here's the PAL retail cover for TPA on the PS4
PS4-ThePinballArcade_PAL-big.jpg

And a couple different screens from the same source. Not the highest resolution, but if I find better I will replace these.

STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION
PS4-StarTrekTNG_FB.jpg

10/01/13 screen (right click and view for high resolution)

CIRQUS VOLTAIRE
PS4-CirqusVoltaire_FB.jpg

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Textures, as in, the same table graphic scans are being textured over on the PS4 version, or at least that's how it appears from the above pics.

I also believe the table graphic scans from WPHOF were reused in the TPA remakes. I can't really blame them for that since they were now jumping up to a next gen platform from one game to the next, but now THEY ARE.

I didn't see this until just now and it's a little disheartening. I really think we are going to end up with "PS3.5" quality here. PS3 tables with new lighting. Pretty much what we were all asking for on the PS3.

From the System 3 Software Facebook page on launch titles:

22 tables were already completed... Perhaps months ago. There is no way they could have fixed everything and rescanned the older tables at a higher resolution.

EDIT...
Here's the PAL retail cover for TPA on the PS4
PS4-ThePinballArcade_PAL-big.jpg

And a couple different screens from the same source. Not the highest resolution, but if I find better I will replace these.

STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION
PS4-StarTrekTNG_FB.jpg

CIRQUS VOLTAIRE
PS4-CirqusVoltaire_FB.jpg

If they reused scans from PHoF for the PS3 then they must have scanned them at a much higher resolution than they used because when I look at PHoF and TPA side by side I can read so much more on the TPA play field than on the PHoF play field. Similarly I'm seeing much more detail on the high resolution pictures of the PS4 version than I see on the PS3 version.

xRauLx77

Jul 9, 2013
If they reused scans from PHoF for the PS3 then they must have scanned them at a much higher resolution than they used because when I look at PHoF and TPA side by side I can read so much more on the TPA play field than on the PHoF play field. Similarly I'm seeing much more detail on the high resolution pictures of the PS4 version than I see on the PS3 version.

Me too. They dont look that bad at all, and I think people are just guessing (that they dont have already scanned at the propper resolution). Scans usually are made at gigantic resolutions and specifcally compressed depending on its use.

Seeing this debate here reminds me of the first screenshot of T2 and looking at the real thing later on iPad, soooooooooo much difference...

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012

It's simple. Look at Monster Bash and Fun House. You should be able to read all that text quite legibally. Made by: Blank. Etc. All should be totally visible. It's not you can barely read it it's blurry as all hell.

And when you look at Rudy in fun house it's pixelated. That simply shouldn't be. The actual art has low resolution printing, yes, but if the texture itself was high res you'd be able to see the actual flaws, low res bubbles (see: Monster Bash real scan) instead it's low resolution textures of low resolution assets with pixelation/jagged edges! Get it! It sucks.

Personally though I'm not too worried. Early pictures from Farsight never tell the story. They scare us with pink lit playfields then the game ships and it's fine.

Also real-time lighting is going to look glorious in 60FPS... That low res, 30FPS youtube video does not tell the whole story.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012

No. These are definitely PS4 scans. The lighting gives it away immediately.

These look great btw.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
@Mark, I know it's a PS4 scan. Again, I am not talking about the poly count, the lighting (both of which look fine) I am talking about the textures AKA table art scans and they are not good IMO.
They appear to be the same exact scans from the PS3 version IMO.

MonsterBash-textures_PS4_Real-vgo.png

You will see the same blurry music tracks as in the PS4 table shot, which are barely legible on both.

Here are a couple more side by side comparisons PS3 vs PS4. I had to reduce the size of the PS4 version to match that of the PS3. Again, if anyone has a better PS3 picture I will be glad to make a higher resolution comparison.

MB_PS3_PS4_Mini1.png
MB_PS3_PS4_Mini3.png

Even though it's a small example, I think it's obvious they are reusing the same table art source material here.

Last edited:

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
I think we can't blame the textures. Just look at the iPad version if you have the chance, everything is readable and crystal clear. It must be the rendering technology that turns the high quality models and textures into a blurry mess when you play in a zoomed out table view.

N

netizen

Even though it's a small example, I think it's obvious they are reusing the same table art source material here.

Like the actual machine they have at FarSight. By Jove! You may be on to something here.

Quick Watson, to the Sherlock symbol!!

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Like the actual machine they have at FarSight. By Jove! You may be on to something here.

Quick Watson, to the Sherlock symbol!!

That was funny, but you know what I meant.
They scan once, and use the same images on many platforms.

It's doubtful they are going to keep stripping down their machines each time a new console with better specs is released.

I think the problem here is;
1. They scanned the source material at a lower resolution than they should have.
Or...
2. (Which I think is more likely) They are reducing it to a much lower resolution image when adding the texture map.

Judging from what I've seen the main table art looks no bigger than 1024px 300dpi, which is not going to show off detail like text and other small print.

I'm still hopeful these playfields are just placeholders and they will have much clearer table scans, but as they are releasing next month I'm not too optimistic.

If you look at the beautiful picture of the real Monster Bash playfield above you should agree that there is no reason the PS4 shouldn't be able to handle that detail. It doesn't take an 8 core CPU to do it either, but it's there if they need it!

I think this may be another case where people should speak up if they want quality.
I already bought every PS3 table, I'd like to see more than just the PS3 tables with improved lighting.

Last edited:

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
In general, all signs point to improvement over current gen versions with the PS4 release... and it still being a letdown compared to what it could/should be. Hopefully they are placeholder textures and there are whole layers/passes of graphics not applied to the tables in the screenshots that will be upon release, but the best thing to do is expect that what we see is what we'll get, to remember that it's still better than what we got now, and hope that they (FS) get that it's not good enough, and continue to improve from there (and that they can update/patch them later to improve not just future tables, but the launch ones too).

Oh yeah, little note to FS: playfields are supposed to be shiny from being waxed. With all those pins around the office, I expected you guys to get that.

Last edited:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
sometimes there shiny from diamond plate wich was not a mod like clearcoating and seeing how all early PS3 games gad that glossy effect on everything it can be done some just over do it.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd still like to see glass reflections make a comeback in the PS4 version (optional ON/OFF of course).
They are going for authentic and I think the top glass is a very important part of each and every pinball table.
Sure I know some owners of real machines prefer to play with the glass off, but I like it on.

When played in a darker environment the glass reflects lights and the DMD giving the machine a really interesting and unique look.
The only problem I ever had with the top glass was in arcades with overhead florescent lighting, but that of course wouldn't be a problem here.

Throw in an occasional THWACK! sound effect when the ball hits the glass and you have a new and cool feature IMO. :)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
WOZ has anti-glare glass bad example. Glass off the flippers are LOUD! its amazing how much quieter it is with glass. The ball has to be able to hop first and that CRACK noise always worries me and FS would nueter that sound like the match CRACK!

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
WOZ has anti-glare glass bad example. Glass off the flippers are LOUD! its amazing how much quieter it is with glass. The ball has to be able to hop first and that CRACK noise always worries me and FS would nueter that sound like the match CRACK!

The Simpson's Data East table was notorious for the ball bouncing erratically off of the bowling pin targets and would often end up hitting the glass. It was really cool to have it slam against the glass as you would get the attention of everyone in the arcade.
Though I'm sure the arcade op didn't think it was quite as cool. Hehe..

My brother would watch as I played it and say (as Bart Simpson) "OK, now break the glass man!" :p

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
I had a ball bounce between the slinghots at an odd angle which caused the ball to jump up and hit the glass on my Jack*Bot table. Man it is a loud noise :O

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts