New UI is being forced on us next week!?!

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
The latest newsletter contains some really bad news. It looks like the new UI officially hits Steam next week (doesn't give a date).
Does anybody have any more solid info on this? Is it actually going to force us to replace the existing one or will it still be an option? From the screen-shots they show it looks like the same one they had in beta, as bad as it was. It doesn't look like they responded to any of the criticisms or feedback they were given on it. It still looks really, really badly designed and completely un-pinball like. It blows my mind that they look at it and think "Yeah, that looks good!".

If they force it then I'm sure that will break the dedicated cab interface many of us use starting next week. Unless anyone has heard mention of direct table launching also being added by any chance?

If not does anybody know of a sure-fire way to keep the Steam version from updating again? I can back it up as it is today. I can try to run it from a differently named folder. But I have no idea if it will still try to connect and update as soon as I run it doing those things. Even if I can keep it from updating I'll still be pissed that I paid them for 2 more tables That I wouldn't be able to play the way I want.

Anyway this was the first thing I read this morning and it will probably cloud my entire day. Pretty ******. Here's hoping they leave the current UI as an option.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I think you won't have any luck with your wishes.
BUT I am pretty sure the community will come out with a solution to make pinballX work again with the new UI. I may just take a little while.

For keeping steam from updating just set the timespan for auto update to 3-4 am or some time when it is very unlikely you use the cab, then it won't update on its own.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
BUT I am pretty sure the community will come out with a solution to make pinballX work again with the new UI. I may just take a little while.

For keeping steam from updating just set the timespan for auto update to 3-4 am or some time when it is very unlikely you use the cab, then it won't update on its own.

Nice. Thanks for that tip about updating. I'll give that a shot.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I don't care how it looks as much as I care about how it functions. The current build still functions awfully, especially when using a controller.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Can't they wait some more and fix the current UI bugs and control options? I'd much rather have the current table wheel.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
He did specifically say "especially when using a controller"...

Are there different navigation options with the keyboard? I thought it was pretty much the same (Can you skip to a letter with the keyboard, for example). I will admit the # of tables has caused me to play less of anything in the middle of the alphabet lately.

Trackball

Jan 19, 2016
I don't care how it looks as much as I care about how it functions. The current build still functions awfully, especially when using a controller.

Are you sure? I use nothing BUT a controller on PC, and it works perfectly.

Now, on Android, yeah, there's problems--especially with the Extra Ball button on Jack-Bot or the third flipper button on Starship Troopers. I have to hit the Options button for both. But maybe that's because I'm using a PS4 controller and a Nyko phone clamp. Plus, I can only enter initials with the O button if I have it physically connected with the phone with a short male-to-male micro-USB cable, as opposed to by Bluetooth. Otherwise I'm forced to use the touchscreen.

But whatever--that's not the topic of this thread. And it's not really Farsight's fault anyway.

As long as I no longer have to scroll for 15 seconds just to get to Medieval Madness, I'm good. (Speaking of, hey, fix those flippers!)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Are there different navigation options with the keyboard? I thought it was pretty much the same (Can you skip to a letter with the keyboard, for example). I will admit the # of tables has caused me to play less of anything in the middle of the alphabet lately.

Not entirely sure as I haven't messed with it for quite awhile (been waiting the new tournament settings before I dive back into TPA). I just remember reports in the beta threads that it had some controller navigation issues, but hopefully those are cleared up now.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Does this mean a new UI for mobile is forthcoming? The "wheel" was getting unwieldy some time ago...

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
That doesn't mean "only with a controller", it means "with a keyboard and it's even worse with a controller." (I suspect using a controller is nowhere close to "awfully" either, as one person points out above, but I only very rarely use a controller and so don't know.)
It means always using a controller. Remember this UI is also going to be ported to consoles so it has to work 100% with a controller. Last time I used it I still had to use the mouse to enter initials, because the "Enter" button has to be pressed by the pointer and not the A button (on an X360 controller) and it's not possible to move the pointer with the left stick when entering initials because the table is still running in the background and the left stick is still bound to nudging.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012

So I can set that in the Steam options for auto-downloads, but it looks like even with those settings the moment the game is launched it will still update?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Ah yeah, but you will have time to set steam to offline mode first and won't get caught by surprise with an already updated game.
I'll admit it is no long term solution.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
After being cranky about the new UI in a few threads on Saturday, I decided to rejoin the beta release for Steam and re-assess my opinion. I believe that I can live with the new UI and was comfortable navigating it with my controller.

I haven't had the privilege/problem of trying to enter my initials after a new hi-score like [MENTION=4106]EldarOfSuburbia[/MENTION] has. I know that it's a problem for him. That does need to be tweaked. Nothing makes me madder in TPA than not having my initials CUB for me or STV for a pinball buddy who passed away. I play imaginary games with him in TPA like I did in real life.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Nothing makes me madder in TPA than not having my initials CUB for me or STV for a pinball buddy who passed away. I play imaginary games with him in TPA like I did in real life.

Frank, that is genuinely the coolest thing I've read on the internet in a long time. Mad props to you, my friend, for honoring a pinball buddy like that, and a tip of the hat to Farsight as well for making it possible.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Edit: Jeff, thanks for the acknowledging my tribute to my pinball buddy. I found TPA and this forum when I searched the Google Play Store for FunHouse after someone gave me my tablet for Black Friday in 2012. My buddy and I both loved how rude Rudy was and both realized that he was the alter ego of "Charlie McCarthy".

As I've said before TPA and this fine forum has changed my life for the positive. Thanks for making this old disabled fart happy all you fine forum members. Thanks again Lord Gacey and Moderators for keeping PAFF sane.

-------------------------------------------------

I've spent the hours since the last post playing TPA with the new beta UI. It is much improved since I tried it a couple of months ago. I was able to navigate the menu fairly easy after learning how to master the controller function. I even was lucky enough to enter a new score on a table and it worked fine for me. I hope you enjoy the same functionality as me [MENTION=4106]EldarOfSuburbia[/MENTION].

The one thing I've learned to love after the last post is hitting the "Random Table" button. I have played tables that I haven't wanted to play in months and enjoyed every game. It feeds my beta personality fine. Have the alpha, or random button, give me a challenge and I'll try to exceed what is expected of me.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Most of the issues I brought up with using the controller have been dealt with. The main thing is now pushing 'A' always moves you forward toward the game. Occasionally I've had to use the D-Pad to move the cursor, but it's way better than a month ago. I also had no problem entering initials this go around and never once had to use my mouse. I don't use the keyboard at all, so can't comment on that.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Ah yeah, but you will have time to set steam to offline mode first and won't get caught by surprise with an already updated game.
I'll admit it is no long term solution.

So having Steam set to only update between 4-5am when it's never on didn't seem to work.
The update on the 29th to 1.48.7 still auto-downloaded the moment I turned the cab on and steam fired up. Seems like there's no good way to avoid it.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Really... Hmm I thought it only downloaded when I started the game.
Ah it sux big time to get forced to do sth. you don't want to do by those companies. If it makes sense or not. It is not as bad as with Apple, but still...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts