Nobody Special #7 1/2: BBBB

This week the games we were told to practice ahead of time were Scared Stiff and Banzai Run. I got the #1 score on Banzai Run during practice. The furthest I got on Scared Stiff was level 8 of the Stiff-o-Meter. I felt like I was ready.

I got there on Monday night, and only two other people showed up. My girlfriend was feeling sick. As much as she hated to do it, she had to stay home. My buddy #1 and our other friend that's been with our group since week one showed up as well. Basically it was just our normal group minus my girlfriend.

I got there an hour early. By the time 7 o'clock rolled around, it was pouring down rain outside. Since I've been a kid, that's always been my favorite time to be at an arcade, especially raining on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Was the weather the reason people didn't show up, or did they all just decide to quit?

We were told along with Banzai Run and Scared Stiff we would also be playing Terminator 3 and NBA Fastbreak. I'm going to make this a quick one and say I did very well Monday night. Afterwards the judge said he wanted to make next Monday a makeup week for everyone who missed. He was only going to do this if the three people who showed up agreed that it would be okay. We could have just said no, but I didn't want to take anyone's season away from them, and my friends didn't either. They could very well show up next week and beat our scores, but we all agreed we'd rather get beaten than be the jerks who said no.

The three of us will be getting next Monday off now. Having a week to rest before the final week is probably a really good thing. It makes it hard to write a blog for this week, so I'll wait until everyone's scores come in and write a proper rundown next week. I will say that some interesting things happened that I can't wait to write about.

To make this entry not a total wash, I'll tell you this. I was excited and nervous on Monday. The reason being is that when I got the Getaway I promised I would help my girlfriend get her own machine as well. I didn't think things would happen this quickly, but on Monday I made the call to go check out a machine. It was on my mind all day and night.

I took Tuesday off from work. My girlfriend and I met with a very nice guy who sold us a Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball for a good price. I know it's not at the top of anyone's list, but both her and I love that game and have a history with it. If you've never played it, it's a simple (yet neat) game that has a way of making you come back for more, provided you can get passed the admittedly silly license. It's sitting next to the Getaway now, and she is very excited about being the owner of her own pinball machine. We've already agreed that we're not stopping at just two. I'm still going to find a way to get her that Twilight Zone she really wants someday.

OMD

OmegaDef

Jan 30, 2014
I appreciate it. Thank you.

From what I know, it was designed by John Trudeau at the same time as Bride of Pinbot. In a way it feels like the lesser respected family friendly version. Instead of a Billion point shot, it has a 50 million point shot that only randomly lights on your final ball. It's the great equalizer, and it has driven me nuts for ages. You can get a good score, but then someone who doesn't can hit that shot and beat you. Unbalanced? Pretty much, but the mystery of that 50 million point shot always got me to play another game.

At the end of each game you get a present which you can decide to keep or pass. Sometimes it will "reward" you by swapping scores with your opponent. I'm usually the guy with the highest score, so this sucks for me. It's all part of a very weird game though, and I appreciate it's uniqueness, even if it screws me over more often than not. On the other hand, my girlfriend loves this feature. It's her machine after all, and she's currently the Grand Champ.

The artwork was also done by the one and only, Python Anghelo. R.I.P.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts