Nobody Special #8: Turn out the Lights

I feel like I’ve been waiting forever to write this. Last time I mentioned that there was a thunderstorm on the night of week 7, and that a lot of people didn’t show up. The following week was declared a make-up week. Now that everyone scores have come in, it’s time to jog my memory. I prefer writing these immediately afterward so that I don’t forget anything, but the situation dictated it had to be this way.

This will also serve as an example of the importance of everyone being there and competing on the same night.

This week’s machines:

Scared Stiff
Banzai Run
Terminator 3
NBA Fastbreak
WHO Dunnit?

It was a dark and stormy night.

Sorry, I always wanted to write that, but seriously it was. Only three of us showed up. We waited for a little bit for anyone else to show up, but after a while we decided it was time. We were told the other people could make it up next week, as long as we agreed that was okay. Whatever. I just wanted to play pinball. We started to make our way downstairs to begin on Scared Stiff.

That’s when lightning crashed, and in a blink we were standing in the center of a pitch black arcade that had just lost power. People were freaking out all around us. I found it to be one of the coolest things that has ever happened. Cell phones were pulled out to light the way for every coward running for the door. I retreated into the darkness. I knew the power would be back on in a moment, and I wanted to experience this once in a lifetime event for every second it was going to last.

After a minute or two the power came back on. I was standing next to a redemption machine, and when it came to life it said, “WWWiiiiiinnnnn aaaaaa pprriize” like some sort of malfunctioning robot. It felt like the beginning of a horror movie or that one Scooby Doo where they go to Funland. This was an amazing event, and one that I will remember and cherish forever.

Without really realizing the significance at the time, we play Scared Stiff first.

I love Elvira, and I love Scared Stiff. I practiced a lot that week, but really it was more fun than practice. My first game was pretty average, but on my second game I “turned out the lights” and got to level 5 of the Stiff-o-Meter. I came just short of a replay, but I ended with a score I felt was pretty good.

My score: 7,039,150 (1st overall)

Banzai Run was up next. I wasn’t too familiar with this machine before this week, but after I learned it I can say it is one of my favorite machines there. During practice I got the Grand Champion score of just over 4 million. One of the things I love about it is that the replay score is static. It stays at 1.8 million. This means that on one credit, I can pretty much play until I decide I’ve had enough. On my first game I got a pretty good score. It wasn’t my all time best, but I was happy with it. I knew that if the competition didn’t take the time to learn or practice this game, then it was going to be a great score. It’s an incredible game, but you really have to know what you’re doing going in.

My score: 2,115,560 (1st overall)

Next we played Terminator 3. I had not played much of this game before this week. I practiced on it long enough to get the rules down. I didn’t over practice though. I decided it is what it is. It’s not my favorite game, but it isn’t terrible. There’s just quite a few games I’d rather put my money into. My first game wasn’t great, but my second game went incredibly well. I got the replay and ended with a score I was proud of and thought it stood a fighting chance of being the top score.

My score: 62,855,330 (1st overall)

Finally we played NBA Fastbreak. I am rather fond of this game. How many games feature Detlef Schremph on the backglass? Answer, not enough. Can we hurry up and get him his own pinball machine already? I naturally chose the Seattle Supersonics, because, well Detlef.

My buddy, #1 is great at this game. I knew he would probably beat me, but I felt like I knew enough to stand a chance. On my first game I got a better score than I normally do, 65 points. I was pretty happy with that. #1 chose the Denver Nuggets, and on his second game he started to light it up. I was watching his score get close to mine. I saw him tie my score, and then hit one more shot before it drained on him.

He looked disappointed, but I patted him on the back and pointed out his score to him. It was just like when the opposite happened on Monster Bash and he pointed out I had beaten his score. It was nice to see it all come full circle. I wasn’t upset I lost. I’d rather see him do well than get a clean sweep of the machines that week.

First Place: 66 points (#1’s score)
My score: 65 points (2nd overall)

Before leaving for the night, I was allowed to play their new mint condition Hercules machine. It was only being displayed and wasn’t set up for tokens yet. I’ve never played one before. It is more of a novelty than anything else, but it was awesome to get to play one for real. It was really nice of them to let me try it out. I don’t see myself playing it very often in the future, but that’s a really nice piece for them to add to an already amazing arcade.

That should’ve been the end of it. However, between the 7 day period before the make-up day, Banzai Run broke down. Ugh. They came to me since I had gotten first in Banzai Run and asked if it would be alright to do a substitute game. Had I said no, then only the three other machines would count. I knew it could potentially hurt my overall standing, but I agreed because I thought it wouldn’t be fair to everyone else.

This is how I looked at it. I made it to where I am by accepting every curve ball thrown at me without making a big deal about it. If I only came in first place in the end by playing “lawyer ball” then I don’t deserve it. I’ll take my chances, and if I don’t come in first, then so be it. I’d rather lose a fair fight than win an unfair one.

On make-up day we were told the game selected for the substitute was Who Dunnit. Already I felt a bit of relief. I love this game. It’s one of my favorite machines there. I felt like I stood a pretty good chance provided I had a little bit of luck on my side. My first game went great. I got 1.3 billion points. I thought this could be a very good score, so on my second game I was as relaxed as I could possibly be.

On game two I was doing well and had nearly as many points as game one. When the roulette bet came up, I had no problem taking the bet. What’s the worst that could happen? I ended up winning 616 million points. This gave me a crazy score that I knew was going to be tough to beat.

My score: 1,744,373,430 (1st overall)

So Banzai Run got scraped, but I still pulled off first place anyway. That was quite a relief.

I ended up taking first place again this week. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but with only one week left it is looking like I’m in a really good position.

Total Standings after week 7:

1st place: me with 213 points
2nd place: #1 with 204 points
3rd place: my girlfriend with 170 points

Next week is our final week. We were asked to vote for our favorites. The winners were Monster Bash, Theatre of Magic, and two final selections that would only be revealed next week. The bad news is we were informed that our league wouldn’t be having playoffs or finals. That is only an advanced league thing I guess.

Speaking of, the next advanced league starts in about a week. I don’t know if I’m going to join now or wait until the next one in August. I want to join now, but I really hoped I’d be able to rest for a little bit beforehand. Believe it or not, this passed two months has taken a lot out of me. Knowing what I know now, I don’t want to compete if I can’t do it right.

I’m just going to see how this all ends and make my decision. Because of all the delays in getting scores and writing this all out, the final Monday night is tonight. One way or another it all ends tonight.

As soon as I know the results, I’ll post my final blog.

OMD

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Here's a thought for you: That Hercules machine is the same one I played at TPF a few weeks prior! Boring as **** (my second ball was devoted to getting photos, didn't stick around for my third) but it's definitely a great showpiece and talking point. From memory it was/seemed quite cheap as well, on sale at TPF for only around $5k.

OmegaDef

Jan 30, 2014
I caught the interview with the previous owner and put together where it landed. I never would have thought it went for so little though. While it isn't a top tier machine, I would've bet anything it was worth way more than that.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts