Pinball Arcade now on Steam Greenlight!

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Correct. However, the 360 is the primary development platform, so its tables have to be done first.

Hopefully the PC will now become the primary development platform. Surely that would make more sense, now that a release is confirmed for both Steam and Win 8 Marketplace?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Actually, haven't FarSight been doing just that with all of the Xbox table packs that remain unreleased?

I didn't do portrait because we were in limbo. The main difference here is the tables I build on Xbox are also shipping on every other platform, so it's not "wasted" work. I prefer to build tables on a higher end device, otherwise the would be a chance they wouldn't get the appropriate attention on those higher powered devices. If we started by making tables for iphone, then the consoles would end up with mobile assets.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
What happen to GENIE then? The pics released from 360 are nothing like what PS3 got it looks more like it ended up with mobile assets.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
What happen to GENIE then? The pics released from 360 are nothing like what PS3 got it looks more like it ended up with mobile assets.

That's just the lighting, you know. The PS3 uses a totally different lighting system and sometimes eh it doesn't seem to work out that well.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I didn't do portrait because we were in limbo. The main difference here is the tables I build on Xbox are also shipping on every other platform, so it's not "wasted" work. I prefer to build tables on a higher end device, otherwise the would be a chance they wouldn't get the appropriate attention on those higher powered devices. If we started by making tables for iphone, then the consoles would end up with mobile assets.

Thanks Mike. Makes complete sense to develop on the high end device and filter down to other platforms. My point in this case is that obviously the high-end device has now changed, which is great news for the future of TPA.

Also, I think it's fair comment to mention that PC owners are generally more willing to pay more for that high-end product. We don't all expect to pay $0.99 for a table.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Also, I think it's fair comment to mention that PC owners are generally more willing to pay more for that high-end product. We don't all expect to pay $0.99 for a table.

Again - this is something I'm guessing at with no market research, (so please correct me if it's wrong) but...
Won't the PC platform be the lowest revenue generating format of them all?

I would think all those $1.99 paying mobile players are sending FS's staff's kids through college, followed secondly by Consoles, then PC coming in last.
If this wasn't the predicted trend- Farsight wouldn't have released on platforms in that order.

I do completely agree it makes the most sense to develop on the uppermost platform and filter down - but do not devalue the people who are financing your fix, or become elitist when you contribute the least! (did Animal Farm teach you nothing?)

Virtual Pinball Elitism really pi$$es me off. Pinball for all!

Paying more for something does not make you smarter.

Edit - price adjustment - thanks jham

Last edited:

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
Where did the whole $0.99 per table thing come from? Outside of the very first table, everything has been at least $1.99, even on mobile. Am I missing something here?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I do completely agree it makes the most sense to develop on the uppermost platform and filter down - but do not devalue the people who are financing your fix, or become elitist when you contribute the least! (did Animal Farm teach you nothing?)

Rant over? Really, no need to become abusive.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Again - this is something I'm guessing at with no market research, (so please correct me if it's wrong) but...
Won't the PC platform be the lowest revenue generating format of them all?
He's referring to the fact that the average price of a PC game is still in the low double digits - at least it was the last time I checked - whereas the mobile markets have raced to and hit the bottom in terms of pricing structure (and quality, but that's an opinion for another thread).

I would think all those $0.99 paying mobile players are sending FS's staff's kids through college, followed secondly by Consoles, then PC coming in last.
If this wasn't the predicted trend- Farsight wouldn't have released on platforms in that order.
The original intent was to release all the platforms as nearly simultaneously as possible. There were some...difficulties...with the consoles' submittal processes, followed by difficulties caused by the 360 version's publisher going under, simultaneous with difficulties finding a distribution channel with suitable DRM for the PC version.

The tables, Pro menus and custom balls all so far have been the same price regardless of platform. I see no reason why this would suddenly change for the PC version.

Nor does repeatedly insinuating others are elitist without any evidence that this is the case. Argue the points, not the people making them, please...

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
He's referring to the fact that the average price of a PC game is still in the low double digits - at least it was the last time I checked - whereas the mobile markets have raced to and hit the bottom in terms of pricing structure (and quality, but that's an opinion for another thread).

The original intent was to release all the platforms as nearly simultaneously as possible. There were some...difficulties...with the consoles' submittal processes, followed by difficulties caused by the 360 version's publisher going under, simultaneous with difficulties finding a distribution channel with suitable DRM for the PC version.

The tables, Pro menus and custom balls all so far have been the same price regardless of platform. I see no reason why this would suddenly change for the PC version.

Nor does repeatedly insinuating others are elitist without any evidence that this is the case. Argue the points, not the people making them, please...

Hey Sean,

Point 1 - I was referring to Total projected revenue per platform, not individual price per unit.

Point 2 - Farsight are not as daft as sometimes appearing, the launch priorities were... Mobile - Console - Pc
They might have intended them to be closer spaced, but that was the perceived intention.

Point 3 - I'm not sure what you are referring to (if it's price linked, see answer one)

Point 4 - how is posting something twice (after 2 separate instances) classed as repeatedly doing something?
I get pi$$ed off when people put down the 'working class' platform (mobile - which pays the bills) is all.
Freedom of speech.

I'm not trying to deliberately pi$$ people off here, and I appreciate you are all super excited today, and that this is a fan page.

(gotta go to sleep - I'm up for work in 6hrs now - I'm guessing this will continue tomorrow)

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech does not apply to a forum where posting is considered a priviledge. There is a reason why only forum members are allowed to post and interact on this forum. While this forum is available for public viewing, we expect our forum members to treat each other with respect which includes not attacking those who's opinion(s) you may not agree with.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
we expect our forum members to treat each other with respect which includes not attacking those who's opinion(s) you may not agree with.

I consider myself to be quite polite, and fairly rational. And generally try to be helpful.
We seem to have different views on what is debate and what is attack.
I defended my platform of choice is all.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts