PS3 (NA) Version 2.08 And 2.09 Feedback And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
People always talk about why the TPA versions are so much easier than the real thing. Well never while playing TPA have I had a 5 year old kid run up to the machine and grab the STTNG launcher trigger and start shooting it making my cane, which I had leaning on the launcher, fall down hitting my personal balls on the way. Anyway, that's just one way that TPA is easier!

Oh I don't know. Every time I play STTNG on TPA, I feel like I just got my balls punched.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I just noticed while playing with my Smiley Face ball, that the ball reflection was plain ol' silver. Whacky!

ParallaxScroll

Aug 21, 2012
I didn't even notice the dual stage flippers on this, unlike, say black knight, where they bother me. Someone should ask in the QA if the can include an option to turn off the dual stage.

The two stage flippers on PS3 are really annoying. I use an xbox 360 controller with an adapter now (where the RB/LB buttons aren't analog) so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
I would also like to throw my hat in the "ball through the flipper" ring. It still happens very frequently but not like it used to. Before the ball would have to be traveling very quickly and would just phase through it.

What I'm finding now, and with ALARMING frequency, is when I have a Multiball going and one ball is sitting on the flipper with another moving towards it. If I shoot the ball on the flipper to knock the other one up, the resting ball tends to just get pushed through the flipper and drains. It happens nearly every single time.

Please farsight. Fix this. For the love of god fix this.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I would also like to throw my hat in the "ball through the flipper" ring. It still happens very frequently but not like it used to. Before the ball would have to be traveling very quickly and would just phase through it.

What I'm finding now, and with ALARMING frequency, is when I have a Multiball going and one ball is sitting on the flipper with another moving towards it. If I shoot the ball on the flipper to knock the other one up, the resting ball tends to just get pushed through the flipper and drains. It happens nearly every single time.

I've had this happen in the past (haven't played enough in 2.09 to notice), specifically on Creature with the left flipper during multiball.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012

The "balls rebound from each other before touching" phenomenon has been reported before, and Mike from FarSight even said he wanted to look at it at one point, but this sounds like a good, reproducible case that actually causes a real gameplay problem--you should write up a separate Bug thread about it so they might see it! (Also email it to support@pinballarcade.com !)

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Just checked in-game and in the store (store app update, blah), no sign of them yet.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
They're up now! Just found them through the New Tables menu in the game. : D

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
They're up now! Just found them through the New Tables menu in the game. : D

waynes_world_game_on.jpg

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Attack from Mars has a *gorgeous* dark, burnished look to it. The flashing effect on the side target banks is a little disconcerting, but this may be their best-looking table yet.

Genie is so brightly lit that I'm not sure there's a shadow to be found on the playfield, making it very hard to see the edges of things at high camera angles.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Should a game as old as Genie have two-stage flippers?

I was wondering that myself--they make the mini playfield a bit hard to use, although you get used to it I suppose. FarSight guy Mike said in this post that "Every table we have here with upper and lower flippers (except Black Hole) has 2 stage flippers"--that was back in September, so I wonder if they had a Genie there at the time.

I did a bit of googling but couldn't turn up when two-stage flippers were invented--anyone know? (Although I did see that not all tables since their invention have them, for instance someone said Williams' 1990 table Whirlwind has them, while their 1993 White Water does not.)

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Should a game as old as Genie have two-stage flippers?

From what I understand it is not any more advanced technology than regular flipper switches. They just put one leaf switch on top of another. They weren't intending for it to be "two stage" but it was simple and cheap. Players later figured out that with a delicate touch they could activate separately.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Or you can adjust them by spacing the switches appart more, Why are the backs of genies flippers purple? is that a shadow?

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
From what I understand it is not any more advanced technology than regular flipper switches. They just put one leaf switch on top of another. They weren't intending for it to be "two stage" but it was simple and cheap. Players later figured out that with a delicate touch they could activate separately.

Ahh, that would explain why I couldn't find anything on when they were invented. And I had also been thinking that a non-multiball (isn't it?) game like Genie would have no use for two-stage flippers, but if they're just the standard flipper mechanism anyhow then that wouldn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts