Pt.5 - 35 Movies That Deserve More Praise

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I went to a uk pre screen test version of Verhovens Total Recall at 1.00am in my local odeon. Wow. Much more violent than the released version.

Krakatoa the loudest sound in history? Nah, it was that screening.

Totally agree with The Dark Crystal. Saw that when I was a kid. Brilliant. Still watch it now.

Of all Carpenter movies I have to put The Fog at the top but Assault on Precinct 13 comes close

night

May 18, 2012
The Warriors!

the-warriors-photo.jpg

night

May 18, 2012
Can you dig it?

:) Yeah!

A movie that deserves certainly more praise is THX 1138, George Lucas first movie with a great dark futuristic theme, and all the crazy sound fx that we know from Star Wars are in this experimental movie already. Like Blade Runner, THX 1138 is a surprising close realistic look on our future, a world where humans are dominated by technology and medications.

Last edited:

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
- Ah yes, "Heat", one of the best movies ever made. It's easily in my top 3, and I can literally watch it over and over. In fact, and many disagree, but I think this is DeNiro's best role.

There was actually supposed to be a video game adaption of this, with both Kilmer, DeNiro, and Pacino signed on to do voice work, but sadly it never happened.

- "True Romance", another good one, but for some reason, I just haven't found much interest to watch it again. I watched it once, enjoyed it, bought it on DVD, but just haven't wanted to watch it again. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Christian Slater, and I'm pretty sure that's why it's kept me away. lol I still remember laughing so hard when I saw a stoner Brad Pitt.

- I loved "The Departed", but I HATED the end. What a way to ruin over an hour and a half of a great movie. I also saw it in the theater.

- I've always wanted to check out "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", as I recall it was RDJ's comeback film once he was starting sobriety. It always looked decent, but a goofball lookin Val Kilmer has kept me from giving it a chance. I'll take a chance on it one of these days.

- "Desperado", a true underrated film. I was not a fan of the original, and def. didn't like the sequel, but this one was great. The soundtrack is good as well.

- I haven't watched "The Road Warrior" since I was, like 5 yrs old, but I remember not getting into it very much. I'll have to rent this and re-watch it someday. Doesn't the sequel have Tina Turner in it? lol

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Slater is an acquired taste, but then so is Patricia Arquette. For me it's all about the writing in that movie.

The Departed is bleak, and you certainly don't come away from it with a happy fuzzy feeling. Can't the same be said about Heat?

I like El Mariachi for it's can do spirit of film making, but it's not great. I loathe Once Upon A Time In Mexico.

Of the trilogy, I actually only like The Road Warrior. Mad Max is very little action, and Thunderdome is all look and no substance.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts