Pt.6 - 35 Movies That Deserve More Praise

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
The Descent is very underrated. It's my go-to recommendation for anyone who wants to see a genuinely good horror flick.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thematically it holds up really well. Especially in this day of "how to deal with bullying" being so prevalent. Costumes and music, yeah those date the movie big time. I look at it like I look at Sixteen Candles...the humor is still spot on and the dialogue is fantastic, the actors are engaging. The rest you just pretend like it's a period piece!

One thing I like about watching older movies is that they're almost a time capsule for the culture and what not. I actually like seeing fashions and fads that fit the time, so as long as the story and acting holds up then I'm good.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
One thing I like about watching older movies is that they're almost a time capsule for the culture and what not. I actually like seeing fashions and fads that fit the time, so as long as the story and acting holds up then I'm good.

Agree. I was just watching 'North Shore' the other night, and paying a lot of attention to the surf fashion of the late 80's. It's not as stereotypical as if something made today doing a flashback would lead you to believe. Then again, I was also just watching 'Back To The Future', and my god, acid wash jeans! With an acid wash jean jacket!

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Agree. I was just watching 'North Shore' the other night, and paying a lot of attention to the surf fashion of the late 80's. It's not as stereotypical as if something made today doing a flashback would lead you to believe. Then again, I was also just watching 'Back To The Future', and my god, acid wash jeans! With an acid wash jean jacket!

Heavy!

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
The Descent is very underrated. It's my go-to recommendation for anyone who wants to see a genuinely good horror flick.

I hated that movie. Want a scary movie the first time through? Try watching The Evil Dead (the 1981 one) alone some night, about midnight or so. Now that one was scary the first time watching. Or even The Serpent and the Rainbow from 1988.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
The Hitcher, of course the original version from 1986. Great serial killer road-type of movie. Rutger does it again! Love Jennifer Jason Leigh as well, they did Flesh + Blood together a year before The Hitcher.

00bee4172ac2893391a80b5b32ab029a.jpg

Hitcher was awesome. Rutger was mental in that. Another good one along that line was 1971's Steven Spielberg classic Duel, starring Dennis Weaver.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Hard Core Logo:

I'm going to put this in a few lists...it fits in this category a bit.

Think "This is Spinal Tap" with a bit more serious tone (lots of nods to TIST though), and a Canadian Punk band. Oh yeah and the lead singer of the Headstones is in it.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I've never heard of "Heathers" or have never seen "The Descent", but "The Game" and "The Abyss" are fantastic movies! (I think I actually saw "The Game" in the theater when it came out.)

If you wanna watch another good Douglas Film, check out "Disclosure". All I have to say is "Demi Moore"...Yum! :p

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Considering you don't care much for Slater, you probably won't enjoy Heathers. Although essentially he's playing an imitation of Jack Nicholson in it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you'd hate The Descent, Dokken.

night

May 18, 2012
I hated that movie. Want a scary movie the first time through? Try watching The Evil Dead (the 1981 one) alone some night, about midnight or so. Now that one was scary the first time watching.

The Evil Dead is just a great weird flick that didn't age too well. The fx are so low budget and the acting.. But still a classic.

The Exorcist was a great 70s horror flick that made some impact. That head spinning scene is a legend. Don't try this at home btw.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012

That is an dated 80s film if there was one! Still - I love that movie for some strange reason. Also - The Abyss is nothing short of awesome. (full disclosure - I loved all the main underwater themed movies released that year - Leviathan & Deepstar Six) I'm still hoping for a proper Blu Ray release. It most certainly deserves one...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
We should see proper Blu Rays for The Abyss and True Lies next year, as it'll be anniversary years for both.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
Considering you don't care much for Slater, you probably won't enjoy Heathers. Although essentially he's playing an imitation of Jack Nicholson in it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you'd hate The Descent, Dokken.

Yeah, I don't know what I don't like about him?

I think the only movies with him that I own, where he's the main guy, are "True Romance" and "Broken Arrow". He was also semi tolerable in "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves".

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
James Cameron never misses an opportunity for a good double-dip!

Actually he's been pretty lax on double dips. Think about it, both the Abyss and True Lies have only the one DVD release. And neither of those are anamorphic 480p discs. Terminator on the other hand...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts