The lesser of 2 evils??

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Don't bother with passive 3D at all unless it's from a 4K set. The passive part works by switching half the columns to one polarisation and the other half to the other. The end result is that your TV no longer has the horizontal resolution it used to. With a 4K TV, you can display a full 1080p image with passive 3D in 1080p. In a passive set, you can't - each eye is only getting half the horizontal resolution.

Anyhow, 3D's a bust. If you REALLY want it, I suggest picking up a super cheap Sony 3D monitor meant to go with their PS3s (most stores are clearancing them out - $99 or under). And the 3D active glasses are super cheap - against, I've seen clearout pricing of $20 per pair. (Side note: they're "universal" ones so they work with Sony, Sharp, LG, Samsung, Panasonic 3DTVs as well - don't pay $100 for the manufacturer's pair...).

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
3D isn't a bust, it just is not driving TV sales. Much like 4k isn't going to drive TV sales. TV manufacturers went through a little golden age there where HD was driving new TV sales. Every new thing that comes along that does not drive new TV sales is now a disappointment to the manufacturers.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Don't bother with passive 3D at all unless it's from a 4K set. The passive part works by switching half the columns to one polarisation and the other half to the other. The end result is that your TV no longer has the horizontal resolution it used to. With a 4K TV, you can display a full 1080p image with passive 3D in 1080p. In a passive set, you can't - each eye is only getting half the horizontal resolution.

Anyhow, 3D's a bust. If you REALLY want it, I suggest picking up a super cheap Sony 3D monitor meant to go with their PS3s (most stores are clearancing them out - $99 or under). And the 3D active glasses are super cheap - against, I've seen clearout pricing of $20 per pair. (Side note: they're "universal" ones so they work with Sony, Sharp, LG, Samsung, Panasonic 3DTVs as well - don't pay $100 for the manufacturer's pair...).

While you are technically right about the halving of resolution with passive 3D, it is all but imperceptible to the brain. Get close enough to the TV and you see a slight 'screen door' effect, but that's sitting like 6 feet from the set. The advantages of passive over active include brighter screen image, no ghosting, and the ability to turn your head to the side and not have the image go completely out. And the ability for us prescription glasses wearers to get prescription 3D glasses, which can also be used in any theater showing RealD 3D (the majority).

I'm not gonna buy a 'super cheap' monitor, especially one that is only 24". Not unless it's for my desktop computer! For me it's go big or don't bother. 60" minimum with phenomenal dark blacks. 3D is hardly a bust, but as said right above, it's also not the savior of the TV market. I think it's great when done right. I'm still kicking myself for not having bothered to see Dredd in the theaters because even in 2D on my TV, I can tell the 3D was something special in that movie. And dammit, I wanna play games in 3D! My boy has a 3DS, and it's such a natural fit to certain games.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Disregard everything I just said (if you read it before I deleted).

:
All Pioneer rear projection CRT sets have tons of overscan, compared with other sets, and it can be made much better, but still not perfect. The problem is that in order to make it better, you have to go into the TV's service menu to do it, and when you make the picture size changes, you completely trash the geometry and convergence, which would also have to be corrected in the service menu, and unless you know what you are doing, you will never be able to make it right. This was one of the toughest rear projection TV's to get these alignments correct.

If you want this done right, you're either going to have to hire a tech who knows these Pioneer sets (and that's going to be tough to find), or you're going to have to embark on an incredibly tedious learning curve.

I'm not a TV technician (my neighbor is though, weird), but it sounds like you just need to mess with the vertical and horizontal hold and tweak it there.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Disregard everything I just said (if you read it before I deleted).

:

I'm not a TV technician (my neighbor is though, weird), but it sounds like you just need to mess with the vertical and horizontal hold and tweak it there.

Vertical and Horizontal hold? Dude, the tv is not THAT old!! There's no rabbit ears coming out the back!

I'm telling ya, Pioneer, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, these were the kings of the big screen right when HD was coming out. They ALL had large overscan for HD broadcast. Wanna see what is involved in correcting this?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1129740/pioneer-elite-pro-x10hd-shim-mod-how-to-with-other-tweaks

Waaaay too involved for me. The job itself is actually not the part I'd be scared of, but the full calibration and geometry tweaks needed afterwards. You need a grey scale reader as well as a coloromiter (or something like that), and those things will set you back $500. I spent an entire year contemplating doing this all, and in the end the cost and risk wasn't worth it. Simple fact is, there is no easy fix for this in the user menu. And as I said, there IS a way of doing it in the service menu, but nobody on the forum recommended it unless you were doing it with brand new guns, otherwise you deal with burn in, and I've got 12 years of that.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts