They were right, you can't stop at just one!

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
My Shadow is up and running again. Traced the wiring back from the coil to the backbox and found an exposed burnt section. I think it was shorting on the speaker. Repaired wire and replaced 2 transistors and all is well again.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Hurray, how you getting on finding the bracket for the diverter?

No luck at all with that yet. Marcos have them but I'll try everyone else first, I may even make one. I've asked Andy@pinball mania if he has one or can get one but haven't heard back yet. Another option I just thought of is to have a look at all the coil stops on both my pins, maybe there's one that's close enough or can be modified to suit and is actually available!. I'll have a look at that later.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I thought you bought the pin from a reputable source? Zip tying it to the bracket is something our good friend Andy would do.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Well the guys other pins were immaculate. I should have looked closer at this one, I was just enjoying playing his pins too much!.:). I don't think he'd had it back long, it had been to special when lit for a while, I confirmed that with Peter Blakemore. Someone there probably botched it.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
So much for not messing around with LEDs for a while :D. Fitted superbrights to all playfield inserts. Used purple where inserts are white and for the main scene inserts ( there's quite a bit of purple in the artwork so don't look at me like that! ). Don't know what to do with the GI at the moment, fitted the same frosted white LEDs as I used on my getaway and it looked bad, really spotty under the plastics, so went back to normal lamps for now. Haven't changed any flashers either yet, I may not.

Had a few problems since I've had it, sticky ball trough, random slam tilts ( my own fault ), wire short taking out coil and transistor, left diverter coil mountain bracket badly damaged so rebuilt and strengthened but at least for now its playing really well.

I'm really enjoying the pin, so much more to do because of lane change plus controlling the diverters and the battlefield. Awesome DCS sound quality is making my Getaway feel/sound rather old. I'm thinking that my next pin will be at least as new as The Shadow, don't think I want anything older.

1bba064045c4b486b6e5b75fc60f74d9_zps211893ed.jpg

Last edited:

karl

May 10, 2012
Nice. I am not 100% sold on the extra purple look(maybe it's just getting used to it) but otherwise it looks smashing

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Nice. I am not 100% sold on the extra purple look(maybe it's just getting used to it) but otherwise it looks smashing

That photo was taken with all lamps set to on in the menu so it wouldn't be that lit up 99% of the time.

The dagger on the left diverter is new as mine was missing. There's a few broken plastics on the playfield, they are hard to come by but classic playfield reproductions are about to release a set. Trouble is it works out about £140 to the uk ( $218 ), I'll probably get them though.

Last edited:

karl

May 10, 2012
Getting plastic parts for the shadow is no easy task. Thanks for the link. Great to know!

On the one I am buying, the plastic right below the battlefield has seen better days. Luckily the seller had a spare plastic part bought years ago. If you find someone else who sells plastic parts be sure to let us know ;-)

PS! This is the part I was talking about

ts31280x960.jpg

Last edited:

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
That piece is all there on mine but cracked. Some of my plastics are fine so I'm thinking if I get a full set I may sell a few to recoup some of the cost, especially some of the clear ones that are dotted about as ball guards. The large one that goes under the right Phurba and around the sanctum area is the worst on mine.

Last edited:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I learned a little trick for the cointaker premium 2's that would cast a circle on the plastics and behind the backglass, scuff the top of the lence with sandpaper this helps diffuse the led like beam basically making it a top frosted it does cut down a little light but still looks great. Kev did you see the playfield plastic overlay's? http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/playfieldprotector/index.html I know your getaway is diamond plate so was this one I think.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Yes I saw them but I haven't fitted one of those overlays on either pin. The Shadow isn't diamond plate, but has been previously clear coated. The only problem area is the sanctum, that is a little worn and covered in mylar. I have a sanctum overlay to fit there when I get around to it. The leds I tried as GI are already frosted, they look fine on the Getaway, plastics must be thicker or just darker but not good on the shadow.

Last edited:

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Ahhhhh... Must...buy... Bride...

As I'm not collecting pins, I will get my third machine. And this time it's the Machine :)

I wonder when I stop to pretend that I am NOT collecting :)

Now I see you.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts