TPA "Pro"

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Thinking about the LCD backglass of the Wizard of Oz pinball machine made me wonder if a commercial version of TPA could be a viable product. What I'm thinking is a full commercial pinball cabinet with a 4k or higher LCD or LED table plus another LCD/LED that would incorporate the backglass and DMD for those tables that have one. It would essentially be several pinball machines in one and could be deployed in arcades, bars, etc. I'm thinking you'd limit the number of tables to about 6. Enough to give a choice but not too many for the uninitiated. A home unit could also be sold that could have more tables available. It would probably be a tough sell and would probably be difficult to turn a profit on it, but it would be sweet. Maybe the home unit would sell a lot? Not sure. But its fun to imagine the possibilities. It would be a natural venue for premium tables such as T2, Twilight Zone, and Star Trek: The Next Generation, plus possible future premium tables like Adams Family.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
It would be neat, but I don't think Farsight really wants to get I to the hardware business and all the headaches that come with it.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Since FarSight is not really set up to manufacture physical cabinets, I assume they would be more interested in partnering with an existing cabinet manufacturer and running TPA on their hardware, rather than trying to enter the cabinet business directly.

N

netizen

Since FarSight is not really set up to manufacture physical cabinets, I assume they would be more interested in partnering with an existing cabinet manufacturer and running TPA on their hardware, rather than trying to enter the cabinet business directly.

/me Straps on Speculation/Conspiracy Protection Helmet ©™

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I predict this thread will have a short lifespan now that "partnering with an existing cabinet manufacturer" has been mentioned....shame on you Sean.

N

netizen

I prefer dalekanium, personally.

plastic, really?
Dalekanium is often called 'bonded polycarbide' when they want it to sound less silly. Which basically means plastic, specifically Kevlar. Various episodes have featured a group of people in a confined space looking for Unobtainium when suddenly they get attacked by the alien of the week. Dark Matter has been used as the unobtainium more than once and has several different uses and effects depending on what episode you see, from use as transport between dimensions to regular spaceship fuel to turning people into blood thirsty monsters.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I think some of us had a brief yet intense moment of insanity. It makes slightly more sense to those who were in the chat room last night.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Any cabinet maker that doesn't set up their cabinet to include the ability to play TPA is missing out on a great opportunity. It would and should be a key selling point. That is assuming the PC version will eventually be able to play on a cabinet with backglass and DMD support.
It was one of the main reasons why I bought a cabinet. I bought it with the expectation that TPA was going to be even better than VP(Visual Pinball). VP tables make a cabinet worth the cost. I imagine that a few more cabinets will be sold once TPA gets up and running fully on a cabinet.
Cabinets are already available for purchase from a few different sources. So home units are already available. No need to limit it to just 6 tables. You can have as many as your hard drive will hold. Once TPA is released for Steam, I hope to soon have their whole collection up and running on my cabinet.
Commercially, I don't think it would fly as far as putting cabinets in bars etc. It would open up a whole new can of worms for them.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Any cabinet maker that doesn't set up their cabinet to include the ability to play TPA is missing out on a great opportunity. It would and should be a key selling point. That is assuming the PC version will eventually be able to play on a cabinet with backglass and DMD support.
It was one of the main reasons why I bought a cabinet. I bought it with the expectation that TPA was going to be even better than VP(Visual Pinball). VP tables make a cabinet worth the cost. I imagine that a few more cabinets will be sold once TPA gets up and running fully on a cabinet.
Cabinets are already available for purchase from a few different sources. So home units are already available. No need to limit it to just 6 tables. You can have as many as your hard drive will hold. Once TPA is released for Steam, I hope to soon have their whole collection up and running on my cabinet.
Commercially, I don't think it would fly as far as putting cabinets in bars etc. It would open up a whole new can of worms for them.

Yea I'm considering getting the virtuapin mini once TPA has full cab support. At the very least I'll be getting the Pinball wizard controller when the steam version is up and runnning.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
I've just started collecting components to do a cabinet build myself. VP and FP tables will be great, but what really inspired me to start the project was the prospect of TPA supporting cabinet builds. I really hope that they can find the time to add that support some time.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts