TPAF Audio Interview With Bobby King (Round 1)

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
Thanks to Jeff and bobby, really good effort and a great listen.
I'm kinda taking a sabbatical from the X box version, but I still read the posts here and heaven forbid, Facebook.

N

Nik Barbour

Thanks for doing this Jeff!
And thanks Bobby for taking part.

Looking forward to emulated BK - this would be one I'd actually spend on the Pro version for.

night

May 18, 2012
Excellent interview! Unfortunately my question was not on the list but a lot of people's questions where answered and that's a good thing, compliments!

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Wow! Bobby wants to do Fireball. My local place just got a nice one and it's one brutal SOB. It's such an outlane drainer. At least they have it set for two three ball games for 25 cents.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Excellent job Jeff!

It was really great to hear that they already have the next year and a half planned out which means the product definitely has some legs as far as getting a steady stream of new content into the future goes. Hopefully their Android sale goes well and they can bank a little money that they can use to pursue some more tables and licenses.

His comments on the console update process really makes me hope that Sony and Microsoft (especially Microsoft) take a hard look at the way they handle their whole download business for the next round of consoles to make it more developer friendly. It can only benefit them in the long run.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Nice work Jeff - enjoyable listen.

Can't say I have a good feeling about the future of TPA on consoles, but probably depends if Sony and MS change their DLC model.

Apr 8, 2012
Thank you for the interview, great job. It's frustrating that the update process for Sony and Microsoft is so difficult. Maybe it will improve with next gen? I hope that type of problem won't exist with Steam because I've been planning to switch to PC as soon as available all along. Like a previous poster mentioned, is the problem with console updates of tables just down to file size, or is it something else in addition? It would be interesting to hear what exactly the issues are.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Excellent job Jeff!

It was really great to hear that they already have the next year and a half planned out which means the product definitely has some legs as far as getting a steady stream of new content into the future goes. Hopefully their Android sale goes well and they can bank a little money that they can use to pursue some more tables and licenses.

His comments on the console update process really makes me hope that Sony and Microsoft (especially Microsoft) take a hard look at the way they handle their whole download business for the next round of consoles to make it more developer friendly. It can only benefit them in the long run.
From what I understand, every update on the consoles has to remain as part of the download, so if they extensively redo a table, the other iterations must still be included in the downloads. There are rumors that Sony and MS are changing the way their downloadable game transactions are done for the next generation. The rules were originally instated to prevent "shovelware" - developers releasing extremely buggy, or even unfinished, games, with the intention of patching them later. However, as we see with TPA, to strict regulations regarding patching are creating unforeseen consequences. S and M say that things have changed, and they are looking at redoing their model. One thing I can say - how their online downloads are handled will be a major factor in deciding which console I go with this upcoming generation.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Gotta say I'm a bit bummed it sounds so difficult to update the console versions. From what I understand from the interview it was just to keep the update size down? Would anyone care how big they are? Does it cost a lot more to make a 800mb update as opposed to a 300mb? Pleeeeeease update some of the oldies :( Toss a few table updates in each until they are a bit less wonky.

Really great interview! Very happy with overall, very happy to hear about Black Knight.

When the 360 and PS3 came out, the potential for DLC was in its infancy. Unfortunately the way that model was built, it doesn't allow for updates the way the mobile platforms now use. I'm sure the NextBox and PS4 will use something more akin to whats going on now.

As for updating on current gen...like Bobby said, they can't change certain core elements of the table without having a completely new download. This is why Zen came out with Zen 2 and Pinball FX 2. For Black Hole, something tells me we're gonna have to do some deleting of the original file in order for a new Black Knight to work. When I was up at FS, they mentioned this and said it's too much a pain in the butt for most users to do, which is why they wanted to avoid doing that on a regular basis. Obviously BK is horrible enough to make people go through those steps.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
From what I understand, every update on the consoles has to remain as part of the download, so if they extensively redo a table, the other iterations must still be included in the downloads. There are rumors that Sony and MS are changing the way their downloadable game transactions are done for the next generation. The rules were originally instated to prevent "shovelware" - developers releasing extremely buggy, or even unfinished, games, with the intention of patching them later. However, as we see with TPA, to strict regulations regarding patching are creating unforeseen consequences. S and M say that things have changed, and they are looking at redoing their model. One thing I can say - how their online downloads are handled will be a major factor in deciding which console I go with this upcoming generation.

Were we typing that at the same time or what?!

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I gotta say Jeff 1st off GREAT JOB and thank you!
2nd your avatar.....I would have never guessed that was you :p
I listen to about 9 hours of talk radio every day I want in the BARCADE! :)

BJ Wanlund

Dec 29, 2012
Superb job Jeff! I am loving all the good news we're hearing. And if I heard right, good news was coming *shortly* on the Steam front. Hopefully the controller news that shutyertrap was talking about when he went to visit FS in Big Bear comes shortly also.

So exciting to be a pinball (and TPA) fan right now!

Members online

Members online