What is a "Pro" Table?

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I know Tables in TPA are far from what a normal game will cost but charging for an option that should have been there in the first place is gauging. I would probably get it if it where $.99 per table but not $4. I don't have deep pockets like most and I'm a pinball fan. Zen has the stat options changing amount of extra balls and outlane post locations in the operations standard. If Zen can do it, why can't Farsight?

There is no such thing as price gouging in an open market. The fact that Zen offers a competitive product with different price points and features is proof that there is no price gouging. Price gouging is what happens when demand for a product increases exponentially in a short time usually in a relatively small geographic area and the retailers of that product increase the price without an ensuing increase in cost. A classic example is the price of plywood and particle board going up in the days leading up to a predicted hurricane.

It is also not a "cash grab". A cash grab is when a company or brand slaps their name on a shoddy product because they know that the name alone will sell. Big movie sequels are often a cash grab. Pretty much any sequel that doesn't have the original stars is a cash grab.

The pro tables are the opposite of a cash grab. They are a product that many consumers were demanding and are a real set of options and NOT something that FarSight just slapped the TPA logo on and dressed it in a pretty little bow.

In a free market the maker of an item decides what options will be standard and what options will be premium and what price points they will be sold at. The consumers then have the choice to buy or not.

N

netizen

Zen has the stat options changing amount of extra balls and outlane post locations in the operations standard. If Zen can do it, why can't Farsight?

Zen doesn't have the licensing overhead that is required to recreate these tables that give people that "Nostalgia."
Without the slightly higher price this project wouldn't happen as a portion of each sale goes back to the licenser in royalties. We as Pinball Fans are supporting the Industry we "Claim" to be fans.

Terry Ingram

Sep 14, 2012
Could someone please tell me how I explore a table? I purchased the Pro version of Scared Stiff, opened Pro Menu, clicked on "Explore Table" .. and nothing happens. What am I missing here?

fenderbendr

Dec 1, 2012
Could someone please tell me how I explore a table? I purchased the Pro version of Scared Stiff, opened Pro Menu, clicked on "Explore Table" .. and nothing happens. What am I missing here?

When using the table explore mode, the camera in the normal play mode can't be locked or else it won't work.

To use explore table mode, make sure the camera in normal play mode is unlocked, and just scroll around and pinch to zoom in explore mode to see the table.

Terry Ingram

Sep 14, 2012
When using the table explore mode, the camera in the normal play mode can't be locked or else it won't work.

To use explore table mode, make sure the camera in normal play mode is unlocked, and just scroll around and pinch to zoom in explore mode to see the table.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the camera locked. Could you please elaborate on what "normal play mode" is? I'm fairly certain I'm in normal play mode. I'm also using an iMac as my device. Thanks!

N

netizen

Can you not click and drag the table to move the view around to "explore" it, and then use your mouse wheel, or maybe the +/- keys to zoom in and out?

On Android I load the Table Explore, the touch and drag from the top of the screen towards the bottom to bring the view closer towards the backglass anhd the opposite to move away; I use the pinch method to zoom in and out.

The Table Explore isn't a way to play in free camera mode, it's merely a way to look at table details.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Pro Mode is now only 1.99 for Arabian Nights.

That's reasonable. The move the ball around mode is fun, let's you play with the switches any way you want (though why not just, you know, let us play with the switches?) once you get used to the controls.

The table exploration is a bit disapointing. But it's there. And it's better than nothing.

The tips section is actually quite good. There's a difference between reading something on the internet and having it pointed out to you step by step in the game. I like this feature.

What else? Well the operator menu of course.

At 1.99 it's definitely worth it.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Pro Mode is now only 1.99 for Arabian Nights.

That's reasonable. The move the ball around mode is fun, let's you play with the switches any way you want (though why not just, you know, let us play with the switches by zooming in and touching them? IE glass off mode).

The table exploration is a bit disapointing. But it's there. And it's better than nothing.

The tips section is actually quite good. There's a difference between reading something on the internet and having it pointed out to you step by step in the game. I like this feature.

What else? Well the operator menu of course.

At 1.99 it's definitely worth it.

fenderbendr

Dec 1, 2012
Actually I heard its going to be 99¢ in the next update after I bought it for $1.99.

It's well worth it though for that price. I'd buy the pro mode for all the tables for $1.99 each if I could. I just wish the camera would stay in one position when testing things in the operators menu.

Sleepcap

Jun 30, 2012
Looks like they are experimenting with the right price-point for the ProMenue.
I bought the pro-mode for the Arabian Nights table, but it's not worth the $4 they asked.
For $1.99 I would consider pro-mode for tables I really like, but for $1 I would buy all pro modes no question asked.
10.000+ people paying $1 is more money than 50 die-hard fans paying $4, and now they are searching for the right parameters to maximize profit.

amv71

Feb 29, 2012
I can tell all of this will mean when 360 PBA is relaunched (are we allowed to call it a relaunch?), my wallet will be begging for mercy. Although I already have paid for TZ and STTNG. An exciting time ahead! :D

Terry Ingram

Sep 14, 2012
Can you not click and drag the table to move the view around to "explore" it, and then use your mouse wheel, or maybe the +/- keys to zoom in and out?

No, I've tried everything to get "explore table" mode to work on my Mac, but to no avail. Nothing happens when I click on "explore table." :confused:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Went ahead and got Arabian nights for 99 cents. Figured that's my "vote" so to speak for the price point.

I won't be buying pro at 3.99 going forward. Most ill pay to uncensor AFM is 1.99.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Went ahead and got Arabian nights for 99 cents. Figured that's my "vote" so to speak for the price point.

I won't be buying pro at 3.99 going forward. Most ill pay to uncensor AFM is 1.99.

3.99 is way over-priced for options to set difficulty for a table. I'm not sure how it's going to pan out when tournaments are available. Of course I still don't know what I would get if I get the 'pro-mode'. $.99 will be more reasonable than $3.99 especially for the amount of tables that are out already.

Dan

Feb 28, 2012
Strange that this is what I've been waiting for for so long and now I haven't even bothered to buy one single pro mode.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I bought the one for ST:TNG. Now that I have 1st hand experience, I can say that even at 99 cents, I'm not gonna bother.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
3.99 is way over-priced for options to set difficulty for a table. I'm not sure how it's going to pan out when tournaments are available. Of course I still don't know what I would get if I get the 'pro-mode'. $.99 will be more reasonable than $3.99 especially for the amount of tables that are out already.

I agree. Only table I feel is worth the entire 3.99 is Elvira Scared Stiff, because it allows me to enjoy the full uncensored speech, set the game to 3 balls no extra, and does offer some useful tips. Still, even that's not worth 3.99 maybe 1.99 or 2.99, unless you're super hardcore about the table like I am. And the fact they turned on Family Mode as a ploy for more sales for Pro isn't right, but I've already said my peace on that multiple times.

What you get is the following: A table "exploration" mode, that basically let's you zoom in on the table and look around. It's not that great. "Free" mode that allows you to move the ball around with your thumb, activating switches. Kind of like if you owned the real table and took the glass off and messed around. Kinda cool. You get "tips" which you can find for free on the net, but it's nice to have in game instructions showing you step by step what to do. Access to the operators menu, which let's you tweak difficulty, balls, set up a message, basically anything that you could do if you actually owned a real life machine. Features book keeping though I'm not sure if it actually saves anything (I'll get back to you on that).

Negatives: turning on operator menu, even if you only change the Family Mode that doesn't effect gameplay, makes you inelligable for leaderboard scoring.

Overall, at .99 cents I'd say it's worth it without question. 1.99 isn't bad if you really like the table. I do not recommend the add-on at 3.99 as that is more than most tables on the service.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts