will TPA work with iOS7?

night

May 18, 2012
Of course I don't think you'll buy a new iPad. My point is, Apple is going to convince you to do so, because you upgraded iOS on a device that is not going to be happy running it. You are inevitably going to run into a host of apps that don't run as well, and yes some will have newly written code to make them run better. That newly written code will be specific to iOS 7, so those that stick with the older OS won't be able to download the newer version of the app.

What you are asking, I think, is for FarSight to have optimized versions of TPA for each iOS. Good luck with that. FarSight simply is not going to have an iOS 5, 6, and 7 version each month for each table pack. The more likely scenario is for iOS 5 support to be completely dropped. And while your iPad 2 may be able to run iOS 7, it obviously is not going to run it anywhere near as well as an iPad 4. So if the latest OS doesn't run that well on your old device, is it up to the software sellers to try and code to make it at least work for their program?

I think Mark has the right idea, which is to simply not upgrade and stick with the iOS that was actually developed for his device.

I never had any compatibility issues with apps after an upgrade, and I think so far, iOS7 is running smooth on my iPad2. Safari is nice and fast. The ONLY program that started to give me issues was TPA, right after I (and others who reported the same issues) installed iOS6, which was.. more than a year ago? And now, with iOS7, things are the same, even worse. Only TPA. I'll stick to my point, it is up to FarSight to keep up with the changes been made by Apple, because there will be a lot of players out there with older devices. And we are not talking about a ten year old piece of crap, I bought my iPad a year or 2 ago for pete's sake.

I like to note that all tables released after ST:TNG are running super smooth without any issues! So.. FarSight knows how to make tables that run well on older devices.

Last edited:

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
The way ios upgrades has some negatives, but it has positives too.

The moment you buy a new Imachine, no mather if you do it years later then your first Idevice. I instantly have all the software, updated to the current Istandard for free.

Games, and all other stuff you bought.

Try that with a console or pc. Where you have to buy pacman every new system, lol.

Only thing what really bothers me, is that you cant downgrade with official apple patches. Just try io7, dont like it? grap ios 6 again. But ok, that is not how they do it. But then there is the choice to not upgrade to latest IOS, or just first wait some reviews for the ios for your type of Imachine.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
But then there is the choice to not upgrade to latest IOS, or just first wait some reviews for the ios for your type of Imachine.
This is exactly what I've been doing since iOS 7 was released on Wednesday...and by the looks of things (reviews/issues/performance issues in general, even on higher-end devices like iPad 3), I may not be updating ANY of my devices in the near future. I'm usually one to blindly update but not this time around, especially when it comes to TPA since it's pretty much the only iOS game I play consistently. When something is not working right (example: Whirwind stuttering on iPad 4), I tend to play it less. I really do not need more performance issues in TPA for the gain of some iOS 7 "oohs" and "ahhs" with some conveniences thrown in.

But then again, I'll bet some of these issues will be ironed out in time. Right now though is not the time I want to be fooling with devices/settings/etc to try to regain performance lost in the iOS 7 "update".

Last edited:

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
TPA on iOS 7 on the iPad2 has about the same stuttering problem as on iOS6. Couldn't tell alot of difference, although the ball now also seem to move more slowly on the tables suffering from the stutter.
Note that it does not apply to all tables, Terminator 2 ran smooth for example (like before).

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
TPA on iOS 7 on the iPad2 has about the same stuttering problem as on iOS6. Couldn't tell alot of difference, although the ball now also seem to move more slowly on the tables suffering from the stutter.
Note that it does not apply to all tables, Terminator 2 ran smooth for example (like before).

I'm seeing similar issues on my iPad 3. I wonder if TPA or Apple will fix this issue in a patch...or is the only alternative to downgrade? Either way, I'll try it out for a few days, if too annoying, downgrading is an option.

nstraz

Mar 19, 2013
Wow, didn't realize there were so many issue with the ios7 upgrade with TPA. I've been enjoying not losing frames when a notification comes in. I can now read my Facebook notifications without fear of losing a ball from lag.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I'm seeing similar issues on my iPad 3. I wonder if TPA or Apple will fix this issue in a patch...or is the only alternative to downgrade? Either way, I'll try it out for a few days, if too annoying, downgrading is an option.

Just played Black Hole and Genie on my 3rd gen iPad and I didn't notice any stuttering.

Please continue to post your findings. I'm waiting to hear more news before updating my iPad 3. Since you guys have already done it please let the rest of us know how it's going.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I had a 3gs from ios 3x which worked fine for many years, I always recharged the battery after letting it fully discharge, etc..

When I hit ios 5 the battery suffers, ios 6 needs charging more than once a day.

Coincidence?

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Please continue to post your findings. I'm waiting to hear more news before updating my iPad 3. Since you guys have already done it please let the rest of us know how it's going.
Agreed. Please keep us posted on how it's performing...& if you can muster it, see how it does with the scrolling camera.

I'm currently reading alot of hate for iOS 7 for those that upgraded (mainly at the Apple iPad discussion forums). Performance issues, and ALOT of dislike towards the new "look". I'm getting the sense that people think it looks fine initially (because it's something different, visually) but in reality and everyday use, it's too bright with too many whites and pastels along with thin fonts and not enough contrast. Many are looking for a way to backdate to iOS 6.x.x because of issues and the drastic change in the "look". Real world use, outside & wherever is what's causing people to realize that maybe it's not really all that much better visually and in some cases, worse. But at the same time, others LOVE it. I'm assuming it's going to take some getting used to and will depend alot on the individual. I have yet to install it on any of my devices so I can't comment on the visual aspect of it...I'm mainly more interested in the performance.

Last edited:

Professor_Jones

Aug 25, 2013
This might be apple's windows vista. I'm staying away from it for the moment, as it doesn't seem to bring anything interesting other than the new looks.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
I really like iOS7, like the look, like the new features, even like the new colours. However, when it comes to TPA, it seems my iPad3 has some performance issues, so I'm downgrading for the moment. Perhaps when iOS7 gets a patch or two to sort out the performance issues I'll upgrade again. Otherwise, I'd say iOS7 is a winner, though perhaps only on the newest hardware. :D

Just more incentive for me to upgrade to an iPad 5 when them come out in a few months. :cool:

night

May 18, 2012
iOS7 is looking whitish, I am typing this around 12 o'clock in the evening on the iPad keyboard and it too bright for the eyes around this hour, with the lights dimmed. On my Android I can set another theme and get over with it, with Apple we have to deal with it. Can't say I hate it, it's clean. But a progress.. no.

Last edited:

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
JADP

iPad4 (Wifi only, no cellular) with iOS 7.0.

Twilight Zone is just fine.

Whirlwind is not. Even with fixed camera I am seeing ball stutter that I didn't see under iOS 6.1.3. It's rare but mildly annoying; maybe every fifty flips or so the ball seems to do a little hop-skip move that makes things a bit more challenging.

The stutter completely disappears when Airplane mode is on. This is interesting as I normally have all switchable communication settings off when wifi is on - no push notifications, no e-mail push, no automatic music/books/apps/updates downloads, Location Services off, no iCloud sync, blah blah. I'll do some router log viewing to see what it's doing, but it appears as if something in iOS 7 wants to talk more than iOS 6 did.

Oh yeah - when I do the scrolling camera, the ball stutter is bad. I can't tell if it's worse than iOS 6 or not as I normally play with the fixed camera view.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
The stutter completely disappears when Airplane mode is on. This is interesting as I normally have all switchable communication settings off when wifi is on - no push notifications, no e-mail push, no automatic music/books/apps/updates downloads, Location Services off, no iCloud sync, blah blah. I'll do some router log viewing to see what it's doing, but it appears as if something in iOS 7 wants to talk more than iOS 6 did.
Thanks DeeEff...I have all the same settings as you (as far as notifications, email, etc...it's theoretically doing *nothing* in the background) and I never thought of enabling Airplane mode. I want to see if this makes any difference as far as Whirlwind stuttering goes. I'll report back but as I'm still running iOS 6.1.3, I don't know if I'll see the same results as you.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Well, enabling Airplane mode had no effect on Whirlwind stuttering on iPad 4 under iOS 6.1.3. Seems to be a pretty good work-around for iOS 7 though. Good find...maybe if I take the iOS 7 plunge (not very likely at this point), I'll have to use it.

Members online

Members online