Zen Pinball - Star Wars

N

Nik Barbour

mobile only has vertical nudging, and that is pathetic at best. imo.

Android has nudge left and right and up, all done with shake device to nudge.
There is a sensitivity setting under options which controls how hard you have to shake for the device to register a nudge (it doesn't control the severity of the nudge).
The tilt settings in Zen are much tighter than TPA though.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
The ESB table is the one I was talking about with the below average Yoda. There is no way that's Frank Oz's voice though. Also, I don't recall Frank Oz ever saying "Extra Ball you have" in any Star Wars movie. :p

My friend does a much better Yoda than in this game. In fact, while I was playing, he let out a few winners... "Green and wrinkly my balls are" was one of my favorites.

I could have done without the SITH and other prequel references in the ESB table. Maybe they were forced by Lucas to inject that stuff into the classics.

I'm also not a fan of Clone Wars or anything with any Darths other than Vader.
The table is pretty fun though, as is the Fett table.

Most of the dialogue is from the film. I've cross checked it. I'm not sure if it's the sound engineering or what but it does sound different in many ways. Even so Barbie, Zens public rep, has stated that there was dialogue added for 'extra ball' etc.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Android is a stand alone app called 'Star Wars Pinball', try searching your app store maybe.

Can't download my table though - think the servers must be overloaded.

You can get all the star wars tables through the main Zen HD app. I decided to give Zen a go again. Got Boba Fett and Paranormal first. May get Tesla.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Most of the dialogue is from the film. I've cross checked it. I'm not sure if it's the sound engineering or what but it does sound different in many ways. Even so Barbie, Zens public rep, has stated that there was dialogue added for 'extra ball' etc.

Trust me on this. I am a big Star Wars nerd here and have been since the '70's.
I can tell the difference between the subtle effects on the sound quality between the original and the '96 remixes too. :p

It's definitely not the same voices from the original trilogy. Some of the dialog is the same (as in what is said), but they have voice actors imitating the original actors.

Most of the sound FX, (Lasers, Light Saber, R2-D2, Darth Vader breathing) sound like they are from the Lucas Film sound libraries, but the actors voices are all new and while some are pretty decent,
others are not.

I added some comparisons between the original authentic voice samples and the newer Zen samples:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...rs-Voice-sample-comparisons?p=59177#post59177

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'm gonna have to agree with Spoonman here. Having lived with the films since 1977, I can tell that they are definitely NOT sound bites from the films. I assume they did that so the pinball specific lines read by other actors would match up. Too bad, it's very distracting and actually affects my enjoyment of the tables.

N

Nik Barbour

You can get all the star wars tables through the main Zen HD app. I decided to give Zen a go again. Got Boba Fett and Paranormal first. May get Tesla.

Yeah - i bought them through the Zen HD app in the end.
At the time of the last post, they were having server errors, and the only visible way to get the SW tables was through the standalone.

I like Zen in a different way to TPA.
I'd recommend Episode V, Excalibur, Tesla, and for something different, try Epic Tale.

I got the lot for Android at Xmas for $1 a table, marvel tables also, and although the above recommends are my favourites, I do play them all.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I'm gonna have to agree with Spoonman here. Having lived with the films since 1977, I can tell that they are definitely NOT sound bites from the films. I assume they did that so the pinball specific lines read by other actors would match up. Too bad, it's very distracting and actually affects my enjoyment of the tables.

Thanks for agreeing. I don't think everyone is convinced even after my voice sample comparisons.

I wish they could use the original voice samples. Does anyone know if the older pinball tables use original voice samples? I assume they don't, but I haven't played them in many years.

I thought that LucasFilm owned the rights to all of the likenesses and voices of the actors for toy and game distribution.
It's obviously no an issue with the quality of the movie samples since they sound better than ever.

I hate to say it, but it effects my enjoyment of the game as well.

I enjoyed the old SNES Super Star Wars games and realized the voice samples for those were also not the original actors, but I didn't care as much because the audio quality was so low.The high quality recordings on Zen Pinball just makes the fake voices sound more obvious and really does make you cringe a little when hearing favorite lines being rerecorded. :(

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
fun fact: Bob Bergman the voice of Porky Pig after Mel Blanc died , was also used for Luke Skywalker sound-alike at Lucasarts

skykid3k

Dec 21, 2012
Really enjoying the Empire and Boba Fett tables. Not too crazy about Clone Wars maybe I should give it a few more playthroughs.

I got the SW tables for Pinball FX2 and got the Android App for it. Hope to get the PSN version for my Vita soon.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
fun fact: Bob Bergman the voice of Porky Pig after Mel Blanc died , was also used for Luke Skywalker sound-alike at Lucasarts
Wow, I never knew that.

I can only deam about the level of comedy that could come from him combining both of those voices! ;)

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
I know Bob's work , as a fan of the Lupin the third japanese cartoons , he was also Lupin's voice in the Streamline Pictures version Castle of Cagliostro .

On Tiny Toon Adventures he was both Porky , and Hampton Pig . In Spirited Away, he was No Face the phantom ghost who ate everything in sight .

He does a very convincing Mark Hamill voice in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy , as well as StarWars Battlefront series.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Big pa fan, but i wanted to give zen a chance. Baught empir strikes back and..... I dont want to offend anybody, but pa is a thousand times more fun.

Or am i missing something? Requires this another approach maybe?

Well, not impressed. Looks a good game, but pa is so much more pinball then this for me personal.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Big pa fan, but i wanted to give zen a chance. Baught empir strikes back and..... I dont want to offend anybody, but pa is a thousand times more fun.

Well, not impressed. Looks a good game, but pa is so much more pinball then this for me personal.

You're not alone. I thought these SW tables were going to get me back into Zen, but no. I'm just not a fan of their rulesets nor their physics.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I know Bob's work , as a fan of the Lupin the third japanese cartoons , he was also Lupin's voice in the Streamline Pictures version Castle of Cagliostro .

On Tiny Toon Adventures he was both Porky , and Hampton Pig . In Spirited Away, he was No Face the phantom ghost who ate everything in sight .

He does a very convincing Mark Hamill voice in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy , as well as StarWars Battlefront series.

Quite impressive. In jedi academy I thought it was mark hamill.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012

Many players that like the virtual formats of real tables prefer PA over Zen. That and the fact that ball control is very easy in Zen which turns players Away. Ball control is a challenge even in a real table. Then again it's a matter of personal preference.

That said many of you are passing up a fun take on pinball. Empires strikes Back is a gem IMO. Stacked modes galore. 5 multiball modes that can all be stacked if you take the time for some high scoring opportunities. Lighting up YODA will give you certain rewards to take into the Wizard mode (and Extra ball added, higher jackpot scores as well as others). I'm still not sure what players are really looking for between PA and ZEN. I love both but I play ZEN more. Why? I'm not sure I just love the originality. PLus FS needs to work on some aspects of the physics IMO. The ball need more weight. not as much as Zen's but still I've never seen a real table bounce so much as PA.

I think players are so used to how PA plays. They have played the tables before so they know what to expect. Zen's tables are 'new' it takes time to figure out the table. True it's not clear what to do but that is the beauty of figuring out new tables.

N

Nik Barbour

Many players that like the virtual formats of real tables prefer PA over Zen. That and the fact that ball control is very easy in Zen which turns players Away. Ball control is a challenge even in a real table. Then again it's a matter of personal preference.

That said many of you are passing up a fun take on pinball. Empires strikes Back is a gem IMO. Stacked modes galore. 5 multiball modes that can all be stacked if you take the time for some high scoring opportunities. Lighting up YODA will give you certain rewards to take into the Wizard mode (and Extra ball added, higher jackpot scores as well as others). I'm still not sure what players are really looking for between PA and ZEN. I love both but I play ZEN more. Why? I'm not sure I just love the originality. PLus FS needs to work on some aspects of the physics IMO. The ball need more weight. not as much as Zen's but still I've never seen a real table bounce so much as PA.

I think players are so used to how PA plays. They have played the tables before so they know what to expect. Zen's tables are 'new' it takes time to figure out the table. True it's not clear what to do but that is the beauty of figuring out new tables.

+1, both TPA and Zen are both video games, like it or not.
TPA is not a simulation.

Zen is a different, totally original creation, if you don't understand it (and the in-app rules aren't clear) look here....
https://forum.zenstudios.com/showth...Marvel-Pinball-Table-Guides&p=34897#post34897
Shoryuken to the chins Zen guides in pdf format.

If you play nothing else play Excalibur, then tell me it's not worth your time.

I'm having a blast with Episode V, and Bobba Fett.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I've only played Empire so far and love it. I've been a fan of both zen and tpa since they've each come out. Good isn't mutually exclusive one can be good and so can the other.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts