2560 x 1440 resolution looks horrible

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Hi folks,

Just upgraded my display but TPA looks terrible at this resolution. Looks like it's upscaling really badly from 1080p. It's the same in portrait too.

Anyone any ideas if it's possible to fix at this end?

Using latest nVidia drivers.

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
I occasionally run 1440x2560 in portrait orientation and never noticed anything horrible. It sure makes some of the lower quality artwork more apparent, but nothing can be done about that :\

Can you post a screenshot of what looks really bad?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Mike, yes I did that a few times but to no avail.

All geometry edges look very blocky and I don't believe it's AA or texture related.

Is there an issue you're already aware of at this resolution?

Last edited:

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Mike,

Seems it's the old post processing problem again. Looks okay with it off but getting this when it's switched on:

2014-10-01_00001.jpg

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Mike,

Seems it's the old post processing problem again. Looks okay with it off but getting this when it's switched on:

2014-10-01_00001.jpg

Looks like AA is disabled. There is an issue I haven't been able to track down where on some GPU's you can't have post processing and AA on at the same time. The odd thing is it's not specific to manufacturer. I have a nVidia GTX 660 in my work PC and it works here. I'll pass it along to our engine guy and see if he has any thoughts.

One thing you can try is using nVidia control panel and override Pinball Arcade to use AA in there.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Looks like AA is disabled. There is an issue I haven't been able to track down where on some GPU's you can't have post processing and AA on at the same time. The odd thing is it's not specific to manufacturer. I have a nVidia GTX 660 in my work PC and it works here. I'll pass it along to our engine guy and see if he has any thoughts.

One thing you can try is using nVidia control panel and override Pinball Arcade to use AA in there.
I know that on my machine (twin GTX 480s in SLI mode), I had to turn Pinball Arcade's AA off and then set up a profile for TPA in the nVidia configuration and tell it to override 8x AA on. For some reason my cards don't like TPA telling them what to do. ;)

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Mike, thanks for your thoughts. Always appreciate your help.

It's not a GPU issue as it's the same card (GTX 780) that i've been using for a while, and both PP and AA were working fine at 1080p. AA is working without PP at 1440. Perhaps you are thinking that PP is conflicting with AA though?

If you look at the black lines on top of the slingshot, they are also jagged. Lack of AA wouldn't cause that on texture work.

I'll mess around with it a bit more but I suspect this may be an issue with TPA rendering tech.

EDIT:

This is the same section at 1080p, 16x AA and PP on. PP is definitely causing some weird artifacts at 2560 x 1440, as in my above post.

2014-10-01_00002.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
If you look at Log.txt in the same location as the PinballArcade.exe what does it says for Set Display Mode?

Output would be something similar to

Set display mode
Resolution = 1920x1200
PixelFormat = 22
DepthFormat = 75
StencilBits = 8

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
If you look at Log.txt in the same location as the PinballArcade.exe what does it says for Set Display Mode?

Output would be something similar to

Set display mode
Resolution = 1920x1200
PixelFormat = 22
DepthFormat = 75
StencilBits = 8

Mike, it seems to be setting the resolution okay:

Set display mode
Resolution = 2560x1440
PixelFormat = 22
DepthFormat = 75
StencilBits = 8

As I say, it's PP that's causing the problem.

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
Does it work if you force AA and AF settings in the nvidia control panel? I have TPA set up that way and it looks good at 1440x2560. Better than whatever the game looks like using its own settings.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Does it work if you force AA and AF settings in the nvidia control panel? I have TPA set up that way and it looks good at 1440x2560. Better than whatever the game looks like using its own settings.

Agreed, looks better that way but no, post processing still causes the ugliness.

Slapnuts

Feb 22, 2014
The problem is most likely Post Processing. On my 970 Nivida graphics card, I run 2560 x 1440 resolution and having AA and PP creates the horrible jaggies in your screenshot, when disabling PP the jaggies are completely gone. Hopefully this may be addressed at some point in time but for now (at least for me), it has to be off unless I want to see a jaggy mess.

subgenius

May 29, 2013
I have the same problem. I switched back down to 1080p and everything looks better. Pretty disappointing. Hopefully they will patch this in there graphics update in Q4. Which hopefully is still happening.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Have you all tried turning the game's AA off and then forcing the AA on through the graphics card settings? That was the only way I could get mine to look good at 1440x2560 with both AA and post-processing.

For some reason letting the card do AA instead of the game improves visual quality greatly.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.