A Disabled Tilt mode with separate Off/Online Scoreboards?

MIK

Oct 17, 2016
In the UK for sure, most Pinball Machines in working arcade environments never allowed TILT as part of the game play. The reason being, the machines were backed up against the wall and rammed next to each other preventing any movement of the table it's self. The only way you could move the machine was to have wrists like a Gorilla, meaning it required real effort such as your body weight behind the machine to make it move. This normally set the TILT off.

As you may recall, TILT was sometimes used as an alarm to warn the arcade staff that some one was being heavy handed with the machine.

Looking around the forum I see comments like "this" and "that" machine should not be in the tournament as it is a marathon to play, or this machine should not come to TPA as it has easy ramps that players could milk... That's the thing though, if said machine was in a real arcade environment with TILT being almost non-existent like so many were in real arcades then they would see these marathon and easy ramp machines in a totally different light. The ramps are normally lined up so the ball goes out of play, "if" the ball rolls backwards that is and watching it go down the drain was something you had to endure lol.
Easy ramps were also a welcome addition as they added the feeling you were not being robbed as much, given the fact there was always that chance the ball would roll back. ;)

In a working arcade where time was money, no TILT was like to play the machine as they were intended to be played. So yeah, a mode like an Arcade Master mode that has tilt deactivated and uses separate scoreboards would be most welcome personally. It would offer a more true arcade experience if you get my meaning. I'm not saying TPA should be change to this by default, but as a veteran option for those who wish to be Robbed & Tortured. :cool:

Of course we can all play these tables with no TILT right now, but then we are comparing scores with those that have used TILT like ourselves as well as others. :p

Last edited:

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...ifficulty-Mode-w-Separate-Leaderboards-Coming!

"The proverbial ball has been picked back up and handed off to someone to make sure all the bugs get fixed and this finally gets done.

If it's not in the PC build by the April release, please remind me - but I think we'll get it done finally.

Sorry for the delay." -02/2016

"It's been worked on but not finished. Hopefully, we can get it in before too long, but it won't be for the next couple months." -05/2016

one might say, I'm asking for B when what you're proposing is C but we're all stuck with A-only.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...ifficulty-Mode-w-Separate-Leaderboards-Coming!

"The proverbial ball has been picked back up and handed off to someone to make sure all the bugs get fixed and this finally gets done.

If it's not in the PC build by the April release, please remind me - but I think we'll get it done finally.

Sorry for the delay." -02/2016

"It's been worked on but not finished. Hopefully, we can get it in before too long, but it won't be for the next couple months." -05/2016

one might say, I'm asking for B when what you're proposing is C but we're all stuck with A-only.

There's either another quote out there, or it was on a podcast maybe, but apparently FS discovered that doing this as far more time-consuming (note: time-consuming, not difficult; those two do not necessarily correlate) to implement than they first thought. As a result it had to go on the backburner because they couldn't spare resources to get it done. Maybe with a few new hires and the right training they could manage it.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Another podcast said 'hey they cant just hire people for doing just x then let them go' but you gotta admit there's plenty.. 'It's been worked on but not finished.'

UI, check
challenge mode, check
tournament mode, check
head2head mode, check
stern pinball arcade, check
table fixes, check
art quality pass on S1-S3 tables, check
backglasses on a lot of tables, check
missing pro modes, check
missing pro mode features, check
difficulty mode, check
better ball control feature, check
quality assurance testing on (iOS, OSX, PC, Vita, PS3, PS4, 360, XBONE, WiiU, Android, OUYA, Fire) platforms, check

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I keep reeling this out, but hiring someone to work up a mountain isn't as easy as it is to hire someone to work elsewhere. I imagine that, seasonal park/skiing staff aside, hiring someone to work up a mountain for a few months then letting them go is even more difficult.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
some tables wouldnt be playable without nudging and on mobile anything other than one tap usally involes a warning, tilting is part of the game, uk ops were just dicks sometimes

edit- i was once really into this game of robotron and ending up forcing the machine at least 2 foot back from its row and getting really funny looks! highscore!

AnvilCloud

Jun 25, 2016
some tables wouldnt be playable without nudging and on mobile anything other than one tap usally involes a warning, tilting is part of the game, uk ops were just dicks sometimes

edit- i was once really into this game of robotron and ending up forcing the machine at least 2 foot back from its row and getting really funny looks! highscore!

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say some are unplayable without tilt - which ones are you referring to?

I generally like to avoid tilts in favor of setting up the previous shots...

Also I haven't really been able to take advantage of tilt in TPA yet.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
well what springs to mind right now are those lovely house balls in ebd, bigshot etc, nudging is required. maybe my shots are just sloppy:p

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
What we need is a mode with a leaderboard that disables extra balls. Some tables really give you too many, without breaking a sweat.

MIK

Oct 17, 2016
What we need is a mode with a leaderboard that disables extra balls. Some tables really give you too many, without breaking a sweat.

Some machines have a required score increase for the extra ball feature missing though. Say, you may of required 7k to activate the extra ball but after it was won the next game and there after you would need to get 14k ect... Not forgetting if this was added then people would want to play the game when the score was at it's lowest if playing competitively on the leaderboards.

So even that may not work if it was implemented. Normally a Pinball Machine's score was unique to the arcade it's self and not shared around the world.

Last edited:

MIK

Oct 17, 2016
Also I haven't really been able to take advantage of tilt in TPA yet.

Tilt can be used to save the ball obviously, but it can also be used to score more points. Try pressing tilt a couple of times when the ball is in the bumpers and see what happens. ;)

AnvilCloud

Jun 25, 2016
Tilt can be used to save the ball obviously, but it can also be used to score more points. Try pressing tilt a couple of times when the ball is in the bumpers and see what happens. ;)

I'm aware of what tilting is... I was referring to the feeling that tilt on TPA seems a bit clunky and lacks the control/touch that you get playing physical pinball. So I get used to being more mindful of how I set up each shot about rather than relying on tilting to save a mistake. I know sometimes a kicker will throw a ball straight to a drain so I don't completely abandons it. But tilting has always felt just a little cheap to me - unless you're on a poorly designed pin I guess.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Tilt is a penalty in pinball that causes a loss of ball and bonus, or end of game from aggressive nudging. Nudge is a term to discribe a strategical movement of the machine to get the desired action of the ball. Just want to make sure we are on the same page regarding terminology.

A pinball game with no nudging at all would be tough, but an even playing field is always good. Nice idea :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
As far as a higher difficulty mode with a separate leaderboard, I don't think it'll ever happen. Mediocre DLC is more important than quality features. And that's why I haven't played this game for like 2 years.

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
As far as a higher difficulty mode with a separate leaderboard, I don't think it'll ever happen. Mediocre DLC is more important than quality features. And that's why I haven't played this game for like 2 years.

Yikes! Well, I say drop some dough on 8BD at least.

Members online

Members online