A letter I sent to farsight. How do you feel about EM's

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
A two pack I would find interesting is Granada and Spanish Eyes. They were released by Williams the same year (1972). Both are single-player games and have the same mosaic-style Christian Marche art package. However they have totally different layouts and Granada has two-inch flippers and Spanish Eyes has three-inch flippers. I definitely want Spanish Eyes more as I prefer three-inch flippers (who doesn't) and it has a pop bumper located between the two flippers.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
A two pack I would find interesting is Granada and Spanish Eyes. They were released by Williams the same year (1972). Both are single-player games and have the same mosaic-style Christian Marche art package. However they have totally different layouts and Granada has two-inch flippers and Spanish Eyes has three-inch flippers. I definitely want Spanish Eyes more as I prefer three-inch flippers (who doesn't) and it has a pop bumper located between the two flippers.

Spanish Eyes is beautiful in person. Love that art style too. I didn't like the play as much as the art, but I could be in the minority on that.

As you said there are lots of good early SS pins out there too. The early 80's contain many classics IMO.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
external

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I'm often critical of TPA ball physics, but they happen to work really well for EM's just as they are, imo.

Yes and no, in two distinct areas.

What works is that EMs don't have ramps and scoops and kickouts, so you don't get the railroaded ball behavior. You're shooting bumpers and other kickers that add sorely-needed randomness, and usually shooting on-the-fly rather than from a set catch or railroaded inlane feed.

What doesn't work is the speed. All the EMs in TPA (and really everything older than Taxi) have flippers and kickers that are far too powerful compared to the real machines. They're all amped up to levels of hyperactive violence that never existed on the real machines. You're supposed to have a lot more fine control with nudging and subtle flipper moves on games like Central Park and Fireball.

Nov 18, 2016
What I like about the EMs on TPA mobile is that their visual simplicity sometimes plays better on a smartphone screen than something like Twilight Zone. This also helps while taking public transportation, when I prefer to keep the screen at a discreet distance, like my lap. And the simpler sound designs are friendlier for programming a music playlist to go along with it.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
I think the flipper strength is excellent on the EM's. Many times I remember playing EM games with weak flippers, and most of the time, the important shots are at the top of the table. You're pretty much getting 'new' flippers when you play EM tables, don't have to worry about neglectful arcade owners letting the flippers go bad on you.

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
I think the flipper strength is excellent on the EM's. Many times I remember playing EM games with weak flippers, and most of the time, the important shots are at the top of the table. You're pretty much getting 'new' flippers when you play EM tables, don't have to worry about neglectful arcade owners letting the flippers go bad on you.

+1 to that. I think in the last couple decades people sometimes think the EM's they play have weak flippers because they're EM's and not because of condition.

I played a well maintained Central Park and it flies. Crosstown (which I prefer to CP) is really fast.

The speed of C37 and Jacks Open seem right compared to real machines I've played, and none of them were 'souped' up to be overpowered. Unfortunately, I've played my share of poorly maintained EM's that are weak, perhaps more than properly maintained ones. That's one of the best things about TPA - the table is always in mint operating condition.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Sign me up for all the suggestions in this thread. I took my buddy to Coin-Op to go play a bunch of new stuff (Dialed In, Ghostbusters, Aerosmith, etc.) and while we did have fun, we both couldn't wait to get home to play my old Circus again. There's just something special about the old pins that the new stuff just can't hold a candle too.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts