A real arcade......I mean virtual

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
I see some people complaining about the front end menu for selecting tables. I like how they did it on the wii , where you walk into an arcade and can see all the pinball machines around the arcade. I was thinking they could do this for a new way of selecting your tables. They could create an arcade atmosphere, but the machines don't show up in your arcade until you buy them first. Heck, even add a feature where you could move them around in any order you like. :p

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Your suggestion has been implemented inside PHoF. The big problem with it is the speed of the animations slow it down, so if your game is at the back of the arcade, it can take forever to get to that game, and that gets annoying.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Yeah, really not worth it. When I first saw TPA for X360, I thought it was nice that they dismisssed the redundant arcade setting for a simple, effective table selection screen.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah, the arcade on the PHOF was really annoying - too slow and tedious. And there's no way to change that if you use an arcade front-end.

Tabe

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Yeah, really not worth it. When I first saw TPA for X360, I thought it was nice that they dismisssed the redundant arcade setting for a simple, effective table selection screen.

Agreed. As a UI it would be extremely unwieldy.

I still think a some kind of virtual mode for each table would be very welcome though, in order to view the cabinet / backglass / table details in more.. er.. detail.

I'm thinking something like this:
http://ethersolid.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/bally-space-invaders-pinball.html

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I still think a some kind of virtual mode for each table would be very welcome though, in order to view the cabinet / backglass / table details in more.. er.. detail.
Well, that would definitely be welcome, but isn't that one of the things Pro modes lets you do?

It always bothered me, on PHOF as well, that FS recreated those beautiful tables, and won't let you explore them fully, and really see what they look like. I think it has an impact on gameplay as well, or at least the feeling the table gives you. After seeing tables that I've otherwise only played on PHOF or TPA, in real life, it's given me an understand of what the table actually really looks like "up there", behind the usually cluttered back ends of their playfield. That could easily be avoided if you weren't fixed at the typical player angles supported by the game.

And obviously, there are many lights on the tables that it takes me a while to figure out the meaning of, even on a large HD television, I can't see what the texts on them are saying, and it would help a lot to be able to zoom in at these lights. On a real pinball table that you don't know well, you'll often trap the ball and take a look around the playfield to see what's lit, and what's worth going for. On TPA, you can just see that something is blinking, and hope that it does something good.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
On a real pinball table that you don't know well, you'll often trap the ball and take a look around the playfield to see what's lit, and what's worth going for. On TPA, you can just see that something is blinking, and hope that it does something good.

Not only that, but you would often survey a table in more detail while no-one was playing it, in order to read the playfield text and just to find out where certain things were. It's a fundemental part of playing pinball.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
As for surveying the table when you're not playing, the instruction feature does a good job at making up for that, I think. However, the camera is still fixed during those instruction steps.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
As for surveying the table when you're not playing, the instruction feature does a good job at making up for that, I think. However, the camera is still fixed during those instruction steps.

Indeed it does. Obviously not as ideal as 'free roam', but it's certainly a very good starting point. I think FS could expand on it further though, aiming for a kind of Autovista mode, at least for the higher end platforms. I think the renders in the above link demonstrate what could be possible.

If FarSights goal is to preserve these machines, why not do just that. They have already put in so much work into stripping the machines down and modelling the components accurately. Why not display this work in the best way possible, and at the same time, make exploring the tables of TPA even more rewarding.

It would only enhance the experience of actually playing the table, as it does IRL.

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
If FarSights goal is to preserve these machines, why not do just that. They have already put in so much work into stripping the machines down and modelling the components accurately. Why not display this work in the best way possible, and at the same time, make exploring the tables of TPA even more rewarding.

It would only enhance the experience of actually playing the table, as it does IRL.

Yes Absolutely, that was part of the point I was trying to make in my initial post. I would like to explore the tables more, thats why I felt an arcade room set up would do the trick, but I can see how it would take some time to get to the various tables.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
TPA in PS HOME where you can walk around the arcade and walk up to any machine and launch TPA if you own it or its just demo's. Option to buy machines for decoration in your space and FS could make virtual TPA shirts etc. see wich sell better before making REAL TPA shirts.

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
TPA in PS HOME where you can walk around the arcade and walk up to any machine and launch TPA if you own it or its just demo's. Option to buy machines for decoration in your space and FS could make virtual TPA shirts etc. see wich sell better before making REAL TPA shirts.

That would work too, but that is only for PS. I would like to see it for all platforms if possible. I am and old school gamer and when playing games in the 70's and 80's at the arcades were fun and loved going there. Thats why I like the idea of the arcade setup, I am sure there are many options and set ups that could work. After all, these are classic games from out past which we played in arcades. So with the technology available today I am sure Farsite could do something like this.

Willi Cicci

Dec 25, 2012
In the Pro versions there is an option to get a much more extensive view of the table where you can zoom in to get a better look.

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
In the Pro versions there is an option to get a much more extensive view of the table where you can zoom in to get a better look.

Willi have you tried it yet ? I have read mixed reviews on it. Farsite listed the Medival Madness table of the month this month with access to the pro version but I cannot get it to launch - says you have to purchase the table first, whats the point ?

Willi Cicci

Dec 25, 2012
Willi have you tried it yet ? I have read mixed reviews on it. Farsite listed the Medival Madness table of the month this month with access to the pro version but I cannot get it to launch - says you have to purchase the table first, whats the point ?

Not sure what was happening with MM, but yes I've tried it on ST: TNG and it actually works pretty well. I was able to view the entire table and zoom in wherever I wanted and saw every little nook and cranny.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
HOT SHOTS GOLF:FORE! Has its own online loby,like oldschool final fantasy and its own room on PS HOME. I like how you can register for a tournament hours before. Reggister Tee time. but I like the visual chatroom.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts