Android 1.8.0: Feedback & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenomPlug

Oct 30, 2012
@superballs stay away from JellyBean. I'm SGS3 user just like you, i was using JB since it become available on my platform. TPA (and games in general) are working slower, with occasional bugs and glitches never occuring on ICS, JB itself has tons of really frustrating issues, including a battery drain which was a final nail to the coffin for me. After weeks of using that version, and noticing more and more issues, i decided to downgrade to ICS and it's perfectly fine. JB is underdeveloped IMO.

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
whats funny... I've never had an issue with Jelly Bean (4.1.x or 4.2) on my Galaxy Nexus, my Nexus 7, my wife's Samsung Fascinate (Verizon SGS1), or my friend's AT&T SGS3 (rooted, running CyanogenMod 10 [an AOSP Jelly Bean ROM that's stripped of the Samsung TouchWiz bits]).

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Thanks everyone. I'll stay away for now

Regarding what I've seen

Black Hole:
Wow is this even the same table? Is it me or is everything about it better? The play, the flippers the feel the looks.

I've noticed two issues though. If you roll the ball under the second flipper on the right and let go of it the ball goes through the flipper where it should just come down on it and hold the ball there until it's raised again.

Another thing that happened once to me is after locking the ball on the upper playfield, I shot another ball up toward the left saucer hard and it went straight through the locked ball and up the top left lane into the lower playfield. Most of the time it cracks nicely against the locked ball and comes back down. Can anyone else recreate this?

Medieval Madness:

This take is greatly improved. The artwork lines up with the flippers a lot better and the right flopper ends well inside the scroll as it should.

The ball actually comes to rest on the flippers and is a lot easier to catch. The dragon ramp return is fixed it seems and the ball is slowed right down at the end of the rail. I did have the castle wall lock destroy the castle for me once at the end of a multiball but not sure if that was a game mistake or a Rom error. If it was a Rom error then awesome.

Big shot feels different but I haven't been able to put my finger on why.

The flipper mechanics do feel improved also. Not quite there yet but a huge step in the right direction

Judi Chop

May 10, 2012
I had a bug in taxi today. Finished the game and when the enter initials screen came up the letters for selecting never showed up. Couldn't quit the game from the pause menu and had to restart the app. The score was not recorded. This is the only time I've had this happen.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I don't believe it can, from our profiling runs its a cpu emulation issue that can't be helped (we can't modifiy the rom). These is an issue on ios as well where some devices are clamped to 30.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I don't believe it can, from our profiling runs its a cpu emulation issue that can't be helped (we can't modifiy the rom). These is an issue on ios as well where some devices are clamped to 30.
How can this be when my Galaxy S can run it silky smooth? The CPU in the N10 is way more powerful.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
it could be a combination of things, most likely fill-rate, but the only the heavier about that table (the graphics are not that heavy) is the emulation. It is something that has plagued us on certain devices since the beginning and honestly we have tried a lot of different things with no success. It could be the thread scheduler on your device that is not giving enough cpu to the app, I am not sure. That is the transformer prime right?

N

Nik Barbour

Re Black Knight:-
Any chance of getting the upper level camera zoomed in tighter please?

This is current android landscape view (zoomed in on upper level) ...
mu3a2e3y.jpg

This is xbox Williams pinball classics, zoomed in on upper level..
apyra2ad.jpg

So much better to play when you can see the upper left flipper properly.

Judi Chop

May 10, 2012
I had a bug in taxi today. Finished the game and when the enter initials screen came up the letters for selecting never showed up. Couldn't quit the game from the pause menu and had to restart the app. The score was not recorded. This is the only time I've had this happen.

Had this again. It seems to be any time i score a high score on this table now. Enter you initials shows up but at the top it just shows the double 00's with nowhere to input initials. Frustrating because none of my high scores are saved and i have to completely restart the app. I am only playing on android on the droid razr maxx so i cant speak to any other system.

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
Once I realized that landscape mode was the way to go on my Droid RAZR MAXX, it was off to the races with this game, and I bought a Nexus 7 about a month ago as much to play pinball as anything else. My next move was to talk a relative into buying a Nexus 10 (I hope for the right reasons) but I confess to downloading TPA onto it right off the bat, and then every table. But I haven't been able to talk myself into actually PAYING for the tables on that Nexus 10 (or making HIM pay) so I suppose it was more for curiosity or even reconnaissance. Because while I still find landscape view 4 to be far and away the most playable, not only for each game, but for each of these three different sized android devices, I think the other views including portrait modes are very useful for A) learning the ins and outs of each table and B) appreciating the art and rendering. Just getting a LOOK at these tables on the Nexus 10 and playing the tables to the point limit is a great way to see all the details and really get the most out of those longer angle views, such as views 2 and 3 in portrait mode, that are little more than a novelty on the phone, but can reveal details on toys or ramps that you otherwise wouldn't see if only there was sufficient scale. And if I was worried that playing with the Nexus 10 would make me bum out about having the Nexus 7, it didn't. Best of all possible worlds really, and I still enjoy trying to keep up on my phone!

As for RBION, I haven't seen a problem, but then I was only in multiball for about 1.6 seconds before I hit the limit and it froze. And is that a change in android 1.8 btw? I would swear the last time I tried to play a free game it at least let me play out the ball. But don't read that as a quibble, I have zero complaints about this game! And I have also had the freezing at the end of the game issue, although on the Nexus 7 it always resolves if I just wait. On the RAZR MAXX phone however, it has gotten me a few times.

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
Okay now I see what you're saying about RBION on the Nexus 10. The funny thing about it is that the jerkiness actually DOESN'T seem to affect playability much because the timing of the game is still intact. There is no halt to the audio and the ball is always where I expect it, but you are certainly correct that the rendering of the motion is nowhere near as smooth as on the other tables. The first few times I played it I hit the cutoff score so quickly I put the jerkiness down to this really strong acid.

BryceS

Sep 25, 2012
When entering initials, many tables have their own sound effects. However even when this is the case, the interface plays a 'ding' noise over the top of the sound effect played by the table. Can the interface sound effect be suppressed on tables which have their own sound effects?

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
So, looks like STTNG is much easier than the real one. :(
FS destroyed TZ by making it so damn easy that every 8 year old boy can beat it! No one wants your stupid walls in the bumpers! Please stop releasing baby versions of hard challenging tables!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
So, looks like STTNG is much easier than the real one. :(
FS destroyed TZ by making it so damn easy that every 8 year old boy can beat it! No one wants your stupid walls in the bumpers! Please stop releasing baby versions of hard challenging tables!
Really? ST:TNG on iOS has been the first DMD-era table on TPA where I've not annihilated my corresponding high score on the real table in the first few games.

Maybe I'm just playing spectacularly lousy pinball lately...I do go through slumps occasionally...but my TZ and SS games on TPA still seem to be going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts