Android Runtime (ART) Offers Promising Improvements Over Dalvic Execution

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
This could mean some promising execution improvements with TPA on Kit Kat Android systems.

OK, so what is the Geek going on about? http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...-in-secret-for-over-2-years-debuts-in-kitkat/

I wonder whether the current audio streaming issues will be overcome by deprecating the JIT system currently in place with the Dalvic VM.

Are you excited @Ryan Routon?

Update:

I tried TPA with ART enabled, and there is potentially some good news. Some of the audio latency issues have been reduced with ART enabled!

I tested Terminator 2, which has the most noticeable audio lag with the skill shot targets cycling. I noticed a dramatic improvement with audio sync on this. The delay is still there, but the playback gap is very small compared to the Dalvik (just for you @debuggiest) Runtime.

The music loop issue is still there, and does not seem to have improved with ART enabled

It would be interesting if @Ryan Routon experimented with the audio mixer on ART to see if any performance gains could be made. Perhaps the different runtime could actually make a difference.

Last edited:

night

May 18, 2012
Can I just update my HTC One V with Kit Kat? I never get this, on iOS I can update all the time, but on Android it seems that you are depended on the phone developer if you can update/grade or not?

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Correct, you're reliant on the manufacturer of the phone supplying the update.

This is why I swear by Nexus devices.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Plus 1 to that. So easy to root and revert as well.

No sd - integrated battery - I hate vanilla Android BTW.
I only got Nexus as it was a cheap route to a good spec device at the time.
My N7's running an older version of CM this week.
Sorry - but I've stayed on 4.2.2 on my N7 because of incompatibility issues with many apps I use which haven't caught up with upgrades.
Cutting edge - yes, bleeding edge - no Thanks.
Why do people have to have the latest latest. Sad reflection of the westernised world. Ooooh shiny.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

I have not missed it one bit. I don't need it. Get the 32 GB device variant and use Cloud services.

Integrated Battery

By the time the battery fails on a device, it is well and truly time to upgrade. My SGS2 battery is starting to get a bit dodgy now, and I won't be upgrading the battery. I'll be upgrading the device

I hate vanilla android

Why?

My N7's running an older version of CM this week.
Sorry - but I've stayed on 4.2.2 on my N7 because of incompatibility issues with many apps I use which haven't caught up with upgrades.

I'm curious what apps you're using that haven't caught up with 4.3 yet. I've not noticed any apps I use that fit this bill.

If you're referring to stuff like bluetooth stack support, you'll be on 4.2.2 for a very, very long time.

Why do people have to have the latest latest. Sad reflection of the westernised world. Ooooh shiny.

Because those people who want the latest latest are the same people who also want to push forward innovation. If no one wanted to use the latest features, how would these features quickly mature into something stable the non early adopters would want to use?

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I have not missed it one bit. I don't need it. Get the 32 GB device variant and use Cloud services.

By the time the battery fails on a device, it is well and truly time to upgrade. My SGS2 battery is starting to get a bit dodgy now, and I won't be upgrading the battery. I'll be upgrading the device

Why?

I'm curious what apps you're using that haven't caught up with 4.3 yet. I've not noticed any apps I use that fit this bill.

If you're referring to stuff like bluetooth stack support, you'll be on 4.2.2 for a very, very long time.

Because those people who want the latest latest are the same people who also want to push forward innovation. If no one wanted to use the latest features, how would these features quickly mature into something stable the non early adopters would want to use?

1 - already got the 32gb - but have a lot of music I like to swap out via various sd's (tb's worth - not cloud upload able practically) can only do this on my S4.
I have Google music unlimited as well - but it doesn't cover all my music choices (it is good though - UK version)

2 - my S4 from new could do with an extended battery (gonna buy one soon 3000mah x 2 - not 7500mAh though). Can't do that to a nexus.

3 - little things. No battery % on status bar. Adding a widget, you have to scroll A-Z left to right, can't just go right to get to Z..... Etc
Try the latest version of Touchwiz - it is just great.

4 - Titanium in the main works much better in 4.2 depending on what rom you have.

5 - like I said earlier, do you want cutting edge - or bleeding edge.
If it works I'm happy. We obviously differ.

Last edited:

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Sounds interesting (to me as a layman), the audio delay on Android is quite a bit problem to me, but I remain optimistic :eek:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013

It's long overdue that this was added.

There are many other features which are missing from vanilla though that should be included.

I've always used CM or stock vanilla when I first got a nexus and previous device and got used to this. Then got Touchwiz on my SGS4, and the difference is stunning. Just the sheer customisation available, and it's status bar tweaks, app drawer, etc, etc...

I noticed you've replaced your launcher to Aviate this week from your G+ posts.
How's that working? Is it an improvement over stock?

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
It's long overdue that this was added.

There are many other features which are missing from vanilla though that should be included.

I've always used CM or stock vanilla when I first got a nexus and previous device and got used to this. Then got Touchwiz on my SGS4, and the difference is stunning. Just the sheer customisation available, and it's status bar tweaks, app drawer, etc, etc...

I noticed you've replaced your launcher to Aviate this week from your G+ posts.
How's that working? Is it an improvement over stock?

I agree that battery percentage is long overdue. I'm just using battery widget reborn, but I shouldn't *have* to to get basic functionality.

I've been using Nova Pro pretty much ever since I owned a Android. It sounds like touchwiz has received a much needed overhaul.

Aviate is an interesting launcher. Probably a little difficult to summarize here. And also kind of off topic. ;-)

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Oh man, that sounds great. I actually didn´t know that most programs work with ART from the get go, I always assumed that it was some kind of programming language that apps had to be recompiled for.

Come on, Google, push 4.4 to my Nexus 7 already :D

It´s kinda funny, I got suprisingly used to the audio delay to the point that I didn´t even noticed it anymore. Well, at least in No Good Gofers, which is almost all I played in the last week or so.

Last edited:

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
4.4 just got pushed to my Nexus 7/2013, installed it, switched to ART, but I don´t see any noticable improvements on TPA.

At least not with the little test I did on Attack From Mars:

a) the "idle" plunge loop with the short music playing (there remains a very noticable gap when it loops),
b) shooting the saucer barrier (or other targets in general).

I have yet to test other tables, but so far it seems similar. One positive thing, though: Tables seem to load a bit quicker :)

I assume reinstalling wouldn´t have any effect, right? From what I´ve read ART compiles the apps during installation instead of "just in time" during each startup, but switching to ART and rebooting the device seems to have taken care of that already.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yeah, I think things are loading much quicker. Try terminator 2 and see if the skill shot target cycling mode is better in sync. It seemed like it was for me.

Looping music issues were the same for me as well.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013

I've actually got Kitkat now, and ran this apk so I could see the batt %.
Which genius decided to put white text on a white background so you can't read it till your down to a fifth.
jeqepeju.jpg

Fell on the floor laughing at this.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I've actually got Kitkat now, and ran this apk so I could see the batt %.
Which genius decided to put white text on a white background so you can't read it till your down to a fifth.
jeqepeju.jpg

Fell on the floor laughing at this.

I know. Total derp, right. :-\

I have this "turned on" now, but usually just get my actual battery percentage from battery widget reborn through dashclock.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.