Any TPA Tables You Regret Buying?

N

netizen

I could see it happening IF there were another Indiana Jones/Star Wars/whatever style license table designed and a deal was worked out to have a co-release of a digital table at the same time as the physical, making the digital table DLC a part of the larger marketing push. Perhaps if something like that were to happen then getting the licensing for the older tables would be doable as a package deal to have more things under the brand banner?

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
There is a rumor that Zen may be working on a real table. If that is the case then the odds are that it will be a Disney/Marvel/Lucas property. Be interesting if it turned out to be true.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Zen cannot do the Williams or Stern version of Indy, nor can they do the Data East Star Wars tables. TPA has exclusive rights to those. Just sayin'.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Heck, Zen can't do real tables. Unless they use lead balls and flying toys.

I know I know, they can still make tables without those. Sheesh, lighten up, I was only kidding. I said I was kidding! Get off my back mom! I'll take out the trash tomorrow!

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Zen has said many times that they will only do original work, no recreations ever. So there's no need to worry about Zen ever encroaching on Farsight's real table licenses. Getting in the way of a certain franchise on the other hand is a different story.

If Zen were to make a real table from one in their current video game line-up I would love to see them try to make Tesla.. that would be cool to just watch in real life much less actually play.. it might even be dangerous to do either lol. They do have a few tables that could realistically have a chance of working as a real table. I'm just not sure how well they would play with real-world ball physics though.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Tesla would be beautiful in real life, all bronzed out and steam punked. Wolverine would be an easy real life conversion too. The ninja would just be pop up targets, and the fight between the two characters could happen entirely on the DMD. Actually, if Zen used the Jersey Jack approach with an LED screen, a lot of those animations could stay.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Here's the deal with Disney...they want a big chunk of each sale because they believe that their name is moving the product. Lucasfilm felt the same way with Star Wars. There were companies willing to lose money by having Star Wars branding because it would raise the value of their name on other products. Indiana Jones does not have the same cache as Disney or Star Wars, but is has absolute brand awareness.

So part of dealing with Disney would involve a guarantee of x amount of sales, and FarSight isn't gonna move that many virtual tables. Think about Star Wars being paired with Angry Birds. It's not just in the game, but in board games, stuffed animals, bed sheets, all that stuff. That's how Disney likes to play. FarSight has one of 2 options then; either convince Disney to play nice with a little company that is not really looking to profit off of Indy Jones so much as to preserve a bit of history, or option 2, FS needs to brand the hell out of the Indy Jones table and churn out a bunch of other merchandise to make enough profit for Disney to actually care about.

You know how John Carter tanked at the box office, costing Disney north of 400 million after production and marketing costs? They barely batted an eye. The film division of Disney accounts for about 7% of their annual profit. The majority of their money comes from theme parks and merchandising. I'm afraid FS doesn't have much to offer. I thought they had a chance with Lucasfilm, as they'd help out boutiques now and then. Now if WMS, who makes slot machines almost exclusively now,had any plans to do an Indiana Jones slot, maybe FS could piggyback? Or if Stern somehow got involved once more somehow, maybe they're table could get tied in?

Lotta ifs and I doubt FS will be able to make it happen on their own.
How did Zen get the SW license then? I don't think we're going to be seeing SW Zen stuffed animals, board games, and bedsheets. Is Zen really that much bigger than FS?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Zen has been working on the tables for more than a year. The Lucasfilm/Disney deal is younger.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Zen has been working on the tables for more than a year. The Lucasfilm/Disney deal is younger.

Exactly. Zen was working with Lucasfilm, thus the 'boutique' type of business model I mentioned. Not sure if the Marvel deal was prior to Disney acquiring that, but I think it was. Now Zen has a foot in the door and kinda snuck in, thus I'm sure future dealings would be much smoother as it's already been established.

Marz Richards

Feb 19, 2013
The reason that Zen got the license is because Zen has proven that they have been able to bring quality pinball games to market on deadline. They approached the licensees with ideas, made a deal, and got to work. It's amazing what focus and a business plan will do for you.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
Any TPA tables you bought, but wish you didn't?

Nope. The tables are so cheap, I've bought most of them twice (iOS and PS3). I can easily spend $10 or $15 on an afternoon of real pinball. (Especially as most of the tables in bars around here are $1 now.)

$5 for TWO tables that I'll be able to play anytime anywhere? Yes, please!

There are tables I don't like that much, but I don't regret buying them, and I don't begrudge FarSight my money.

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012
Nope. The tables are so cheap, I've bought most of them twice (iOS and PS3). I can easily spend $10 or $15 on an afternoon of real pinball. (Especially as most of the tables in bars around here are $1 now.)

$5 for TWO tables that I'll be able to play anytime anywhere? Yes, please!

There are tables I don't like that much, but I don't regret buying them, and I don't begrudge FarSight my money.

Exactly! I hate Gophers and Harley but have no regrets about purchasing them. The rest of your words speak for me.

tjsynkral

Mar 3, 2013
Harley Davidson and Dr Dude (I had to buy DD to get FP).
The rest are good for an occasional play, but those two are nothing to me.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
The reason that Zen got the license is because Zen has proven that they have been able to bring quality pinball games to market on deadline. They approached the licensees with ideas, made a deal, and got to work. It's amazing what focus and a business plan will do for you.

Zen makes quality pinball games?!? I was only aware of their Zen Pinball/FX2 line which is total rubbish. What is their quality pinball game called?

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I regret nothing!!! :D

(considering I don't have it for the PC YET.....Valve is just too deaf, dumb and blind to Greenlight TPA now...)

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Zen makes quality pinball games?!? I was only aware of their Zen Pinball/FX2 line which is total rubbish. What is their quality pinball game called?

If you think the presentation and polish of Zen/PFX2 is low quality then I would hate to know how low quality you think TPA is.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012

Yea I get your joke there, but Zen Pinball 2 is awesome. Admittedly some tables are better than others, but the quality is high for all of the tables. Tables like Epic Quest are just so much fun I don't see how anyone could dislike that one.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts