Arcade1up Pinball?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
From what I've heard, and I believe John D just said it in Retro Ralph's most recent YouTube vid, was that there isn't going to be any wi-fi in this first generation of cab. It's not so much that the parts are expensive (because they're actually dirt cheap), it's the establishing a network, having a staff to create and maintain the servers, etc. So far NBA Jam is the only cab that has it, they are about to put it into a new version of Golden Tee, and I think that's it.

As for USB, yes there will be a mini USB port for the purposes of firmware upgrades. What John did say was that if these cabs are successful (and they feel all indications show they will) and they come out with a new wave of cabs that lets say does offer the ability to purchase more tables via wi-fi through the cab, the USB on this first batch would allow people to add tables then to those too. So it's a bit of future proofing without knowing exactly what direction they are going to go. Competition with these other cabs may very well force 1Ups hand. I think if anything though, it'd be that you'd be able to add *only* Marvel tables to the Marvel cab, Star Wars to Star Wars, etc. I could be wrong, but that's my hunch. It also sounded like they are currently working on hammering out a license with Universal for all those tables, but I don't think we'll see a cab with nothing but non licensed Zen original anytime soon.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Anyone else notice the pic of Black Panther on the Marvel cabinet. Almost positive he isn't featured in any of the currently released Marvel tables.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
From what I've heard, and I believe John D just said it in Retro Ralph's most recent YouTube vid, was that there isn't going to be any wi-fi in this first generation of cab. It's not so much that the parts are expensive (because they're actually dirt cheap), it's the establishing a network, having a staff to create and maintain the servers, etc. So far NBA Jam is the only cab that has it, they are about to put it into a new version of Golden Tee, and I think that's it.

As for USB, yes there will be a mini USB port for the purposes of firmware upgrades. What John did say was that if these cabs are successful (and they feel all indications show they will) and they come out with a new wave of cabs that lets say does offer the ability to purchase more tables via wi-fi through the cab, the USB on this first batch would allow people to add tables then to those too. So it's a bit of future proofing without knowing exactly what direction they are going to go. Competition with these other cabs may very well force 1Ups hand. I think if anything though, it'd be that you'd be able to add *only* Marvel tables to the Marvel cab, Star Wars to Star Wars, etc. I could be wrong, but that's my hunch. It also sounded like they are currently working on hammering out a license with Universal for all those tables, but I don't think we'll see a cab with nothing but non licensed Zen original anytime soon.

So according to John D we are now looking at $499 or more for an Android based system with haptic feedback at three points based on accelerometer input within the cabinet, and that doesn't offer global highscores, challenges nor tournament capability?

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
Actually, the price -- based on some YouTube vids -- will be $549 for the Marvel cab. I would think that "Attack From Mars" and "Star Wars" will be the same.
They verified the following:
* No WiFi
* Haptic Feedback and Accelerometer included.
* No info on the specific names of the included tables.
* May not be available in quantity until April 2021.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Saw this on Pinside and probably worth discussing here. Looks like there another virtual pinball machine coming out from AtGames. Reveled in this video:

The breakdown of the included tables:

38 Pinball Arcade tables (Gotlieb)
61 Williams tables from Farsight
108 Zaccaria tables

207 tables total. Has a price tag of $599
Everything that they are promising for this sounds a bit too good to be true. The ability to get the Zaccaria tables going would be awesome if it is coming from Steam.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Actually, the price -- based on some YouTube vids -- will be $549 for the Marvel cab. I would think that "Attack From Mars" and "Star Wars" will be the same.
They verified the following:
* No WiFi
* Haptic Feedback and Accelerometer included.
* No info on the specific names of the included tables.
* May not be available in quantity until April 2021.

We'll have the names of the tables included prior to pre-release orders being taken, according to John D.
As with many video game items this holiday, most won't be readily available till 2021. That April date didn't come from A1U though, that's purely GameStop. Best Buy will also be carrying the Marvel cab, so be interesting to see what date they put on it. Walmart will be the exclusive in store carrier of Star Wars from the sounds of it.
That $549 price tag sounds like it's for the retailers, while John seemed to hint that AFM might come in at $500, being that it'll be sold from their site and therefore no need for a retailer mark up. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Everything that they are promising for this sounds a bit too good to be true. The ability to get the Zaccaria tables going would be awesome if it is coming from Steam.

You gotta cut through a lot of the fluff and interpret what the realities are.
Only the 22 Gottlieb tables and the eventual Taito creations will be native to the cab, and only those will feature portrait play with haptics and accelerometer.
All the other FarSight tables will be in landscape mode, as they never came out with an official cab mode beyond what they partnered with Arcooda for. I guess if you have that mod for portrait you could use that, but you'll still not have haptic feedback and nudging will need to be done with buttons.
The Zacc tables have native cab mode, but I wonder if they'll take a cue from Zen and declare it a violation of EULA terms, seeing as how they'll be available on the Well Played Arcade cab.
The ArcadeNet feature, that'll run you $20 per month if I read that correctly.
The BYOG feature, where you stream your games to the cab, costs $1 per hour. Also, there is lag on pinball according to sources.
You can still then just hook up your PC via HDMI to it, but that means no leaderboards or tourneys as set up in ArcadeNet, presumably.

We've done a whole breakdown of the thing on the BlahCade Pinball Podcast this week, available now on our YouTube channel.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
You gotta cut through a lot of the fluff and interpret what the realities are.
Only the 22 Gottlieb tables and the eventual Taito creations will be native to the cab, and only those will feature portrait play with haptics and accelerometer.
All the other FarSight tables will be in landscape mode, as they never came out with an official cab mode beyond what they partnered with Arcooda for. I guess if you have that mod for portrait you could use that, but you'll still not have haptic feedback and nudging will need to be done with buttons.
The Zacc tables have native cab mode, but I wonder if they'll take a cue from Zen and declare it a violation of EULA terms, seeing as how they'll be available on the Well Played Arcade cab.
The ArcadeNet feature, that'll run you $20 per month if I read that correctly.
The BYOG feature, where you stream your games to the cab, costs $1 per hour. Also, there is lag on pinball according to sources.
You can still then just hook up your PC via HDMI to it, but that means no leaderboards or tourneys as set up in ArcadeNet, presumably.

We've done a whole breakdown of the thing on the BlahCade Pinball Podcast this week, available now on our YouTube channel.
Thanks. Like I said, red flag city. If Zaccaria would play on it in cab mode... via steam... awesome! But I'm actually more worried about the 60 fps claim. I don't understand how they could manage the larger screens and the processing.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Thanks. Like I said, red flag city. If Zaccaria would play on it in cab mode... via steam... awesome! But I'm actually more worried about the 60 fps claim. I don't understand how they could manage the larger screens and the processing.
From the spec sheet I saw in one of the groups it suggested that the only thing that will run at 60 frames per second at 1080p are those titles that are natively installed on the hardware.

So that amounts to all of the pinball arcade tables that are installed as first class citizens on the hardware itself.

Honestly though there is so much information floating around about these things that even I'm having a hard time deciphering what is true and what isn't.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
we might have to wait a little bit longer , i like to get the Marvel and Williams tables . i reckon more info just before Chrissie or early in the new year would be great .:cool:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'm honestly quite dubious whether we'll see these products down here [MENTION=2636]wolfson[/MENTION]

After import duty, tax and other Aussie government grafts this is going to be at least $800 given the current exchange rate.

And at that price, that's a bit too much to pay for me for games I already have on Steam.

I don't like putting this realisation down in text, but I fear this is the harsh reality of it.

I have heard that the cabinet is a multi voltage cabinet so it is compatible with 240V without modification.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
What I think would be smart business is for Arcade 1Up to get a local cabinet builder to do the production assembly down here. It would be cheaper than importing.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yes, they are custom angles for this cab. Other elements might also have been altered in widebody layouts to fill the monitor better.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I'm honestly quite dubious whether we'll see these products down here [MENTION=2636]wolfson[/MENTION]

After import duty, tax and other Aussie government grafts this is going to be at least $800 given the current exchange rate.

And at that price, that's a bit too much to pay for me for games I already have on Steam.

I don't like putting this realisation down in text, but I fear this is the harsh reality of it.

I have heard that the cabinet is a multi voltage cabinet so it is compatible with 240V without modification.
Jared , agree with you might be a wait and see here , i think .:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.